Genderfluid names?

Mindaee

I came out to some of my friends as genderfluid after receiving advice on here and researching, thanks a lot to those that helped!

But now I need help in finding a name for when a feel masculine because I am born female and don’t wish to be called by my name during those times. Any advice on name picking or even suggestions on unusual or nice names themselves? Thanks in advance!!

Going with something that sounds nice to you, I recommend browsing some baby name sites.

My sibling who is genderfluid went with Kaden.

Try this link. It has a bunch of gender neutral names if that's the kind of thing you're looking for.

Find neutral baby names and go from there :) Have fun with baby name sites, they can be super amusing.

Janus the Fox

Finding a unisex name may feel suitable when looking into baby names.

My online and alternative social community name, Janus, is a rather multi gender kind of name.  It can also sound masculine or feminine whoever it's pronounced in different foreign dialects.  Can sound like Janis, Jane, Jonas... quite suitable compared to my birth name

Is there a masculine version of your name you could use? (Or would it be too close to your BN for you to be comfortable?)

Gender neutral names like the others have mentioned could work well. Do you want to be referred to by two different names; are you considering changing yours officially at some point? It all depends on what you feel most comfortable with - if you want to create your own or use something unusual or decidedly masculine, etc... Apart from name books you could look up popular media and see if any of those names hit you. Best of luck with deciding! Take your time if you need to. :) 

www.behindthename.com has a really good search engine which you can set to show you only unisex names.

Janus the Fox

Maybe, though my real name can be spelt in reverse to become a feminine name.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried using two names for a while, and it was great when I could get people to call me that. After a while a friend suggested going by my initials, which was also really nice(until people asked what it stood for and decided to call me my bn without having been given permission). I landed on Phoenix as a happy gender neutral/fluid uncommon name after a lot of tease arch and using my bestie as a sounding board. In the end it’s a personal choice. What FEELS right? If it doesn’t feel right from the start, it’s probably not gonna stick. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 🙃

Luftschlosseule

I have a unisex name, Kim. But nowadays, I prefer to be called by my nickname, Eule, which means owl.
I am not able to pinpoint everyday where on my personal spectrum I am, so I prefer one name everybody knows me by. Also, I am really, really bad with names and am happy if I can memorize one name for other people.

So, you need a solution that fits so well you're willing to put effort in. Like the effort of correcting and explaining.

InfiniteNull

For me, I stared with a compound name that I thought was really pretty back when I started as binary trans. I was SUPER attached to the name at the time, all kinds of euphoric reaction to it and inside my head it was perfect... until I started introducing myself with the name and other people started to sound like they were sneering when they said it. Then I shortened it the first time (to a still feminine name)... the shortened version was a SUPER common name and people seemed much more comfortable with saying it. Then I had my time in the closet, put the name away IRL but continued to use it online (and still do sometimes). Then as I found the enby world I thought "I need a name that I could use to introduce myself no matter how I am presenting"... which just so happens I could reduce the girl-name that I was using even further just to a letter that still sounds like a name. It's slightly more feminine as a name, but is androgynous as a letter. So that's what I go by now with my friends. 

The reason I mention it is... it's another option... find a name that fits one gender when said one way, but maybe another gender when shortened... For example Ash Hardell was born "Ashley"... This way you could have a convertible name :)

ElasticPlanet
On 12/03/2018 at 11:08 PM, Janus DarkFox said:

Maybe, though my real name can be spelt in reverse to become a feminine name.

If that works, you're lucky! Spell my first name backwards and it's still pronounceable... but it sounds like I'm an evil genius or maybe from some other galaxy. And still somehow (sadly) male.

2 hours ago, ElasticPlanet said:

If that works, you're lucky! Spell my first name backwards and it's still pronounceable... but it sounds like I'm an evil genius or maybe from some other galaxy. And still somehow (sadly) male.

Mine BN first name is french when spelled backwards. And my last name sounds Russian backwards. 

9 hours ago, ElasticPlanet said:

Sounds a bit like mine, then. The shortened versions of it sound a bit foreign, but the full first name sounds a bit like what I think an alien name would be.

PixleyDust✨
On 3/30/2018 at 12:57 AM, InfiniteNull said:

The reason I mention it is... it's another option... find a name that fits one gender when said one way, but maybe another gender when shortened... For example Ash Hardell was born "Ashley"... This way you could have a convertible name :)

Oh my god! I’ve thought the same thing since that’s my birth name. 😊

But then again, Ashley did use to be a primarily masculine name...

InfiniteNull
7 hours ago, Pixley said:

But then again, Ashley did use to be a primarily masculine name...

Yeah, Ash mentions that in a couple of their videos. Also they have a video talking about how the similarity to their birth name makes it somewhat difficult for folks to adjust. They jump right to "Ashley" to formalize the name, thinking that this is OK to do. The same way that people think it's OK to call someone "Sir" or "Ma'am" if it's to show respect. While it's completely innocent and not socially taboo outside of my head, it always freaks me the heck out and I just want to scream!

Archived