Binding with tape

Ziggyzag

So I've always heard you should never bind with anything other than a binder. Recently something called Transtape has come to my attention though and its created by a trans man for trans and nonbinary people. I've heard mostly positive things about it too as well as how similar it is to KT tape. Previous to this though, I heard even binding with KT tape was a bad idea. More research showed based on a study that most of the poor side effects of binding occur with an actual binder rather than the alternatives that are generally frowned upon. Is tape better then? Are binders more harmful than some alternatives?

The problem with tape is that it has no give, so when your ribs have to expand to breath they can't. I don't know about the Transtape but using tape or bandages has literally been known to break ribs. I would love to see this study about binders, because I've always been told that when used right binders are the safest option.

Mezzo Forte

I'm definitely interested to see how this develops, but as with anything that's brand new, we won't know the long-term ramifications for a while.

There's honestly only so much research out there related to the safety concerns of binding. A lot of the common wisdom regarding binding within trans community is not actually based on any scientific testing or anything, and there isn't even much to suggest that binders are necessarily that much safer than other methods. That said, there just isn't enough research in general on the topic. I'm still skeptical about tape, and willing to bet that it's associated with fewer negative symptoms in that one study because it's a binding method that only really works for people with somewhat smaller chests to begin with. Still, if someone did come up with a proper binding tape that stretched properly to allow the wearer out safely breathe and also was easy on the skin, that would be quite exciting.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/27300085/

this links to at least the abstract of the study.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/02/07/groundbreaking-study-shows-health-effects-of-binding-among-trans-people/amp/

this discusses the study

https://transtape.life/pages/about-transtape

this is the transtape. I don’t know how people generally bind with tape but this seems to just go on the front of your chest which doesn’t seem like it’d affect your ribs. It seems to be made partially of spandex as well which I guess gives it some stretch. It is a bit pricey though 

I think the common problem/concern of tape is the removing it and skin irritations. Little abrasions that could open you to infections, plus the breathability of the tape too. 

13 hours ago, Mezzo Forte said:

I'm still skeptical about tape, and willing to bet that it's associated with fewer negative symptoms in that one study because it's a binding method that only really works for people with somewhat smaller chests to begin with.

As someone that has tried out KT tape, you are 1000000% correct :lol:  My D's couldn't contain them.  It was a nice thrill, to have them pinned back and to put on an open-collared shirt and be free, but I do not recommend anyone using it, small chest or not, for extended periods.  That shit is so dangerous, especially in warm weather.

There isn't nearly enough research on binding, of course, and in general it's probably not good for you at all, but it is less likely to cause severe damage so long as you wear it responsibly.  I think part of the issue is that too many wear it longer than the appropriate 8 hours every day, due to severe dysphoria.  This in turn creates the similar issues shown by wearing tape or ace bandages, because you're only replicating the result in a different way.  

Spoiler

I don't know how some guys can wear theirs for longer than 8-10 hours tho, by hour 8 my body screams for release, even though I dread it.  My chest dysphoria might not be as severe as others', and it's the main part of my body that I can't stand.  

However, despite this, the link OP provided seemed really promising.  It certainly made me hopeful and interested, and the product sounds much better than what is on the market.  I would be extremely cautious though.

Mezzo Forte

I've always seen binding as something that's only really viable in the short run. Even less intense forms of binding can feel bad on the back and definitely can contribute to overheating if you're from a tropical part of the world like I am.  I don't miss it one bit. >>

45 minutes ago, vmdraco said:
  Hide contents

I don't know how some guys can wear theirs for longer than 8-10 hours tho, by hour 8 my body screams for release, even though I dread it.  My chest dysphoria might not be as severe as others', and it's the main part of my body that I can't stand

Yeah, I had severe chest dysphoria even though I didn't even have that big of a chest, but I had my limits in regards to binding. (I was small enough to get periareolar top surgery.) Personally, since I couldn't play by the bind <8hrs rule because of my schedule, I found myself compromising, using gynecomastia shirts and looser button-up shirts so that I'd be able to forget my chest existing just enough so I could function. Even with that mild compression, my back ended up sore more often than not, and oh man did I sweat up a storm constantly having a close-hugging layer of clothes underneath my shirts. I'm glad my skin can finally breathe and I don't have to bake quite so easily in the sun. :lol:

10 hours ago, Mezzo Forte said:

Yeah, I had severe chest dysphoria even though I didn't even have that big of a chest, but I had my limits in regards to binding. (I was small enough to get periareolar top surgery.)

God I envy you :lol:

10 hours ago, Mezzo Forte said:

I found myself compromising, using gynecomastia shirts and looser button-up shirts so that I'd be able to forget my chest existing just enough so I could function. Even with that mild compression, my back ended up sore more often than not, and oh man did I sweat up a storm constantly having a close-hugging layer of clothes underneath my shirts. I'm glad my skin can finally breathe and I don't have to bake quite so easily in the sun.

Saaaameee, it's so annoying!  I don't use gynecomastia shirts but you're right that even mild compression for long periods can get painful.  I'm small enough (body and cup size wise) where I can do the same, but it's not ideal of course.

That is one thing I can say about the KT tape, you aren't dying and sweating in the middle of winter hahahaha  I have to walk to school everyday and I'm carrying the kitchen sink with me, so by the time I'm there the winter coat becomes more dead weight.  If and when I plan the top surgery date, that's one thing I won't miss for sure.

Sounds... ouch. To be honest both this and duct tape sounds quite painful. 

as for binders being as bad as other binding methods... I agree that it's because people push the limits. But I have to say I'm also guilty of binding for a lot more than 8 hours... however, not for many days in a row and not too tightly, and I haven't had any issues. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to say give support to have you must feel not having the body / chest that you internally know you should have. I felt the same but coming form the opposite end. I always wanted to have boobs and ended up having  male breast augmentation procedure done.I had them for over a year now and somewhat torn about my feelings. while i am over all glad i had the procedure done there are times when I feel anxious  over them in certain situations. I ended  going larger then I originally planned so they are pretty noticeable and again in certain situations they can be a bit distracting so I can only imagine how it is if you don't want them at all and having to deal with binding. I have not tried binding although I do wear tight sport bras  at times to help reduce projection however what I have found is implants don't really bind or smoosh well. 

All we can hope is that one day top surgery will be better, more accessible, and easier to recover from. It'll take me a while to get surgery as I am overweight and can't afford it in the slightest, but it's something to work on.

• 2 weeks later...
Just Somebody
On 23/03/2018 at 1:14 AM, arden_jay said:

All we can hope is that one day top surgery will be better, more accessible, and easier to recover from. It'll take me a while to get surgery as I am overweight and can't afford it in the slightest, but it's something to work on.

I still love my boobs,  don't want them removed,  I just want to be able to "pass" as a guy in my outside everyday life.

Hey y'all, I've ordered myself some Trans Tape to give it a try (because it does look exciting).  I'm curious if anybody else has tried it?  What did you think?  I want to know what I'm getting into haha

The way I see it is that it'll be really freeing to bind without an extra layer, because I'm going to Florida with my family at the end of the semester and I think the option to wear this for almost a week will be great for the humidity :lol:  I've heard a lot of great reviews about it from other trans/non-binary folk, so it doesn't sound too bad.  

my reply from earlier seems almost hypocritical now lmfao 

19 hours ago, Just Somebody said:

I still love my boobs,  don't want them removed,  I just want to be able to "pass" as a guy in my outside everyday life.

LOL!! I couldn't have said it better myself. I feel the same way about the primary sexual characteristics that reside between my legs. Tucking works just fine when wearing pants, and with a dress or skirt who's going to notice one way or the other. ;) 

I Dont Know Anymore

I wouldn't recommend it. Tape doesn't expand for you to breathe, so it can really hurt you in the long run. If I were you, stick to a binder or, if you can't get one, a sports bra.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2018 at 9:21 PM, Just Somebody said:

I sorta feel the same way you do at times.after having my male breast augmentation surgery I am pleased with the results and like having breasts but there are times I would feel better if they were not as noticeable. Unfortunate implants do not bind or reduce well so they tend to be pretty noticeable at times when i rather them not be. Most of the time i am OK with them except in certain situations  

Celyn: The Lutening
On 01/04/2018 at 10:12 AM, vmdraco said:

Hey y'all, I've ordered myself some Trans Tape to give it a try (because it does look exciting).  I'm curious if anybody else has tried it?  What did you think?  I want to know what I'm getting into haha

The way I see it is that it'll be really freeing to bind without an extra layer, because I'm going to Florida with my family at the end of the semester and I think the option to wear this for almost a week will be great for the humidity :lol:  I've heard a lot of great reviews about it from other trans/non-binary folk, so it doesn't sound too bad.  

my reply from earlier seems almost hypocritical now lmfao 

Let us know how it goes!

Sports bras under button up shirts are my daily wear, binders are hell for an asthmatic. Which is cool, because if I fall asleep without changing into my jammies it's not a health risk.

I'd still love to get top surgery though. I mentioned how I wanted a smaller chest to my stepmum and she said "since I want mine bigger, I wish they could have me in the next bed putting the stuff from yours into mine!" She's so accepting when I talk about my dysphoria, all casual and doesn't make a big thing about it, it really helps. I just love her so much :3

All right folks, my Trans Tape came in so this is my overall impression of it (pun intended?):

It works pretty well, not gonna lie.

I will compare it to KT Tape, since it's the closest equivalent.  When I used KT Tape to bind as an experiment (disclaimer: do not do that), the KT Tape after a few hours of wear became incredibly uncomfortable and I felt sick because of how it was binding to my skin and chest.  With Trans Tape, I did not feel that at all, I even slept in it to wake up for my 8am this morning.

Granted, it feels kinda weird in the morning and at least for me it gave off this weird oder.  That being said, this tape does not come off with a few movements and torso twists, and when jogging in place they stay put!  Which is incredible and very handy, as I like to go jogging.

The only downside to this, is the application.  I found it a huge pain in the ass.  I have D cups, so trying to bind with it was a challenge, because I had so much tissue to work with.  I wouldn't recommend it for anyone over a DD, because trying to achieve the level of flatness you want just isn't gonna happen.  Granted this costs some 51 bucks USD including shipping.

And because I had a larger cup size, I had to apply several layers of the tape onto me, using up half the larger roll that was given to me (I got the starter pack, which included the 7 and 10 size with healing balm and oil, so the 50 bucks was a good deal).  I had to wrap the tape closer to my ribcage than I wanted, and as a result due to natural movement some of the edges do come off.  It still stays on remarkably well, though, even after putting on my heavy backpack.

Me with it on with a form fitting t-shirt:
https://imgur.com/a/LUFi3BM

So in a way, the binding makes it look more defined as pecs rather than complete flatness, which is really kinda neat.  I still see tiny boobs, but to everyone else that looked at it they only saw a male's chest when I asked, which was such an important distinction.  I love it because I can stand up straight and not feel self conscious.  I swear, the moment I got the hang of it I was walking around bare-chested in my friends' dorm, and it was the most thrilling thing ever.  It's such a big pain in the ass but it's worth it once you get the hang of it!

Looks and sounds like it works great! Still super pricy for something you'll throw away though, as opposed to a once-off payment for a binder. Hmmm.

PixleyDust✨
15 hours ago, Celyn said:

Looks and sounds like it works great! Still super pricy for something you'll throw away though, as opposed to a once-off payment for a binder. Hmmm.

I’d have to agree with Celyn on this one. I got the dreaded D cups too, and I’m broke af. So for me, I can only spend that much on something long-term.

BUT I’M SO HAPPY FOR YOU THOUGH. UGH. 💕

Love hearing about these little happy moments from this community. Always makes my day. 😊

Edit: Oh my gosh, your pics are AMAZING. What do you think, Genie?

eacbc2ce5da8d0ffafbfdfb19300aa0f.jpg

19 hours ago, Pixley said:

Edit: Oh my gosh, your pics are AMAZING.

OMG, I have to agree!

20 hours ago, Pixley said:

I’d have to agree with Celyn on this one. I got the dreaded D cups too, and I’m broke af. So for me, I can only spend that much on something long-term.

BUT I’M SO HAPPY FOR YOU THOUGH. UGH. 💕

Love hearing about these little happy moments from this community. Always makes my day. 😊

Edit: Oh my gosh, your pics are AMAZING. What do you think, Genie?

eacbc2ce5da8d0ffafbfdfb19300aa0f.jpg

lolol have cake for that Aladdin reference  :cake:

Yeah personally having to throw it away with the price you pay for it isn't my cup of tea, either.  I would recommend it in hot weather, so buying a roll of it for hotter months I think would be fine and not hurt your wallet too much if you still were interested and need something to get through heat waves.  Binders can make you really sweaty and gross, but that sort of thing works better in the winter when you need to bundle up.

That being said, I only managed to wear the tape for 2 days, because after that my skin just felt really weird and uncomfortable, probably due to my inadequate application of it.  It... takes a while to learn, with plenty of failures.  Smaller chested folk will do just fine, which I feel this product is better for.  All in all I think I would buy it one more time, just so I can use it for warmer seasons, but after that I don't think I could continue with how much I throw out :/

That's a really good point about just using it in summer. Which is when we need to bind more anyway because winter is the time of thick hoodies and chunky sweaters and I'm just small enough that nothing's obvious under those.

I'm still stewing on the price though....just make it cheaper, please! (Maybe since it's fairly new the price will go down once it gets established? We can only hope. Although by the time that happens I might have had top surgery already.)

• 1 year later...

DONT USE THIS TO BIND!!!!! 

My mom recently bought Transtape for me because a friend of hers has a trans son who uses and loves it. When I put it on it did absolutely nothing when i used the recommended amount of tape and i had to use over half of a medium roll of tape to do what my year old very stretched binder does. I was excited for it to ship (which took like 10 days even though i live like 3 states away) because i love playing hockey but its hard for me because I can hardly excercise w/o not being able to breathe. I was also excited to be able to sleep and shower in it seeing that I can't/shouldn't do that in a binder. I wore it for three days. In those three days the tape curled off to the point where i would have to cut some of it off everytime i woke up, the only way i could look like i had a semi-flat chest pulled my chest so far that i have a bruise down the middle, it was so incredibly itchy to the point of pain (i don't have any allergies, just mild excema only on my face which has never given me pain) that i couldn't stand it, and it was awful overall. When I took it off I had to soak the tape in the removal oil for over 20 minutes before it even started to come off (the package says it should come off in 5-10 mins) and still had to go in the shower to take it off w/o excrucitaing pain, my entire chest is blistered and it even gave me legitimate cuts on my chest (like how?????), i have had to cover my entire chest in bandages because of the blisters and I don't have sensitive skin. I have never had a blister before except for when i ran 2 miles on a track in moccassins and could barely walk and it still didn't hurt as bad as this. The proper way to use this only makes it look like you have very spread apart small tits and honestly using half of a roll got me the same result and the the pain. Their website doesnt have a section for reviews except for good ones that they hand pick so i have to write this here. It's not worth your money. Please use the money you would spend on this to buy a few high quality binders that will last years from gc2b or underworks. This product was made for trans people with small breasts to the point where it would honestly make no difference in appearence. If you have a larger bust size like me or even an average one don't use this. The "healing salve" they supply you with in packages is literally just chapstick. Honestly literally any other binding method is better than this, with tape it doesn't stretch so you have a higher risk of breaking a rib, fuck dude ace bandages is probably safer. Now, I'm not encouraging anyone to use ace bandages but fuck dude don't use this shit. 

On 3/9/2018 at 8:39 AM, Ziggyzag said:

So I've always heard you should never bind with anything other than a binder. Recently something called Transtape has come to my attention though and its created by a trans man for trans and nonbinary people. I've heard mostly positive things about it too as well as how similar it is to KT tape. Previous to this though, I heard even binding with KT tape was a bad idea. More research showed based on a study that most of the poor side effects of binding occur with an actual binder rather than the alternatives that are generally frowned upon. Is tape better then? Are binders more harmful than some alternatives?

Please don't use tape dude, it's painful, uncomfortable, and blisters like hell

On 3/9/2018 at 1:46 PM, ReyGraves said:

I think the common problem/concern of tape is the removing it and skin irritations. Little abrasions that could open you to infections, plus the breathability of the tape too. 

I got literal cuts from transtape and my entire chest is blistered

On 3/10/2018 at 12:09 AM, vmdraco said:

As someone that has tried out KT tape, you are 1000000% correct :lol:  My D's couldn't contain them.  It was a nice thrill, to have them pinned back and to put on an open-collared shirt and be free, but I do not recommend anyone using it, small chest or not, for extended periods.  That shit is so dangerous, especially in warm weather.

There isn't nearly enough research on binding, of course, and in general it's probably not good for you at all, but it is less likely to cause severe damage so long as you wear it responsibly.  I think part of the issue is that too many wear it longer than the appropriate 8 hours every day, due to severe dysphoria.  This in turn creates the similar issues shown by wearing tape or ace bandages, because you're only replicating the result in a different way.  

Reveal hidden contents

I don't know how some guys can wear theirs for longer than 8-10 hours tho, by hour 8 my body screams for release, even though I dread it.  My chest dysphoria might not be as severe as others', and it's the main part of my body that I can't stand.  

However, despite this, the link OP provided seemed really promising.  It certainly made me hopeful and interested, and the product sounds much better than what is on the market.  I would be extremely cautious though.

Bad idea dont risk it its absolutely painful and barely works if you don't have a cups

On 3/11/2018 at 8:57 AM, Emery. said:

Sounds... ouch. To be honest both this and duct tape sounds quite painful. 

as for binders being as bad as other binding methods... I agree that it's because people push the limits. But I have to say I'm also guilty of binding for a lot more than 8 hours... however, not for many days in a row and not too tightly, and I haven't had any issues. 

Tape is the worst. if people have problems with binders that's their own fault and i am totally guilty of binding for too long and sleeping in my binder but it's clearly not my binders fault i have such crippling dysphoria i can't shop for clothes w/o having a panic attack most of the time. Having just used the tape i can confirm it is the worst method to use

On 4/20/2018 at 9:34 AM, SCelyton said:

works okay-ish depending on your standards until removal and you realize you've likely damaged your chest with permanent scarring and depending on the damage may hinder your ability to get top surgery

• 7 months later...
Jack Blackheart

I dont know my cup size since ive been binding for about five years, but i think around a c? Anyway, I've been binding gc2b style for forever but decoded to try out transtape because i live in midwest america where the weather is frightful amd rarely delightful. I will be honest. The first time SUCKS. It was itchy. It was too tight. It didnt flatten. I took it off after four hours and it made my skin red amd amgry with microabrassions everywhere. But i spent good money on this thing. So i let my skin heal, amd i tried again. I used a different method. I watched countless videos explaining how to use it. Three strips per side, one 3 segment amd two 4 segment strips. Overlapping the strips so there were two layers over the bulk of my chest and sticking to the tension guidelines that say not to allow ANY tension on the edges for an inch, i did it. It's still not perfect, but its incredible. The skin in the cemter of my chest it stretched more than is comfortable, amd theres a spot thay dodnt adhere right that stings a bit. But it isnt restricting, its breathable, and it works. Removal oil and patience are the key to getting it off without danaging your skin. Let it soak in, add more, and rub at the edges. Never pull, or you'll rip your skin off. The healing salve is not chapstick, its just in a chapstick tube for easy application. They use a blend of essential and proprietary oils thay are all fda approved.

So many of you are telling everyone not to get it, because you arent having a good experience. But judging fron your replies, you havent given it a real chance. It is not easy to learn. But it does work, and if you follow the instructions it wont damage your skin. ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT is to do the patch test!

This product is not for everybody, but nobody should say that it isnt for anybody. I wish you all luck in your gender expression and experience.

-Jackson Blackheart

Archived