Ciao a tutti

GloriaA

Hi everyone!

My name is Gloria, I’m twenty-seven years old and I live in Italy, Piedmont. So… I apologize in advance for my primitive style and for any grammar errors you may encounter in this post and in my future ones: even if I can read English pretty well, sometimes I struggle while writing and I hope to get better.

About me… well I’m still a student even if I used to work odd jobs from time to time, luckily I finish university this April with a thesis about comic books (YES: I’m a huge nerd and I’ve found a teacher that thinks that my ideas are actually good and not strange). Ahem, I’ve already said above that I’m a huge nerd and I must add that even if I’m studying to hopefully become a teacher, I’m also striving to become a comic artist/writer. The latter is my dream, but I’m not so oblivious as to think to not explore other options, since living as an artist is hard and the competition is very high… wish me luck! Oh, and just to be completely honest here: I very much like to teach, I already have some experiences with it and it’s the kind of work that I truly love. Dream job is actually living teaching how to write compelling stories, luckily I’ll teach that in my mother tongue where my ramblings are actually better than a five year old speech.

Getting serious: I struggle and I had struggled with depression and anxiety disorders. I was bullied trough all my childhood and adolescence and I grew up with a verbally abusive mother (rarely that abuse turned more physical, but I clearly remember an accident where my mother hit me on the back with a cane multiple times). In recent years I came to term with my troubled past or I was forced to since I still live with my parents for economic reasons (and… it’s Italy guys: if you don’t have a job far away or you aren’t married, YOU LIVE with your parents full stop).

About my experience with asexuality. For most of my formative years I thought that there was something broken in me. In twenty-seven years of life (if you exclude one foggy dream) I’ve ever experienced sexual attraction. I didn’t know about asexuality till I hit my twenties, so for some reasons that made sense at the time, I considered myself bisexual. The reason was the following: if I don’t like both men and women the same amount, but I think that I could be romantically attached to both, that means that I’m clearly bi. Ah ah, no. It’s easy to see how I was completely shocked when I discovered that there are so many people like me in the world that don’t experience sexual attraction.

I needed more than a couple of years to come to terms with being asexual, not because some strange misconceptions on my part, but mostly because I was very low thanks to my depression and a couple of incidents where I tried to off myself and failed spectacularly.

Now I am in very improved space. Even if sometimes I feel low, I’m so much better with everything and I have the support of my sister: even if it’s not perfect, I’m building myself up a piece at the time. So I’m better, but I feel a bit lonely and I want to be more involved in the community. I joined the Italian community but there aren’t many people to chat there, so I hope that with my tepid grasp on the English language I’ll be able to make friends here too (even if I’m bad with replies because of a busy schedule and a little bit of social anxiety).

And… okay I think I’ve written enough to bore all you out of your minds, so I think I’ll stop right here and hit send before checking for mistakes and deciding to scrap everything that I’ve written till now.

Baci

Grumpy Alien

Welcome! Your avatar is cute. :D 

Your English is better than most native speakers’ so I’m sure you’ll do just fine making friends. In America, we often live with our parents too unless you’re married or get a job far away. (It’s usually too expensive to buy a house on your own and there aren’t many rentals outside of big cities.)

I hope you find a supportive community in AVEN! Here’s some cake:

2m740o50yrzy.jpg

Welcome and :cake: !

I wish I knew another language (other than English) as well as you seem to know English! Lots of native speakers probably don't even know words like tepid. :lol:

My grandmother's side of the family came from Lombardy, and she could speak Italian (although she was born and raised in the US her parents were from the "old country"). I visited some distant cousins there many years ago, but never learned Italian myself. (would be cool if one could speak all the languages of one's ancestors! I'd be multi-lingual. :lol: )

Anyway, it sounds like you are getting your life in order. Good luck with your future in teaching, too!

Asexual._.Blanket

Ciao Gloria! Io sono apprendimento Italiano!

...though I am still learning and am attempting to unravel what's going on as far as grammar so excuse if that sentence is wrong haha.

Welcome to the forum, however, and it's nice to meet you! I too have dealt and deal with depression and social anxiety (though mine is more general anxiety), and my parents not being the best.

I hope to see you around! And if you ever want a friend, I'm here haha.

Welcome from a compatriot (even through I'm from Veneto)! Feel free to PM me if you wish to talk about anything :cake:

Thank you!

My mother is from Lombardy! Italian is a tricky language and most Italians struggle with it ah ah (for exemple with the "congiungitvo" which is a verb tense that so many native speakers get wrong that it became sort of a national joke). English has actually a simpler grammar, but since I have very few occasions to practice it, I struggle to convey what I want ah ah

2 minutes ago, Asexual._.Blanket said:

Ciao Gloria! Io sono apprendimento Italiano!

...though I am still learning and am attempting to unravel what's going on as far as grammar so excuse if that sentence is wrong haha.

Welcome to the forum, however, and it's nice to meet you! I too have dealt and deal with depression and social anxiety (though mine is more general anxiety), and my parents not being the best.

I hope to see you around! And if you ever want a friend, I'm here haha.

Ciao! If you ever need help or want to practice conversation send me a message! This last month I have been very busy (still am) preparing for an incoming comic convention that I don't know how often I'll be able to reply, but I will in time ^^

Your English is better than most native speakers’ so I’m sure you’ll do just fine making friends.

Seconded.

In America, we often live with our parents too unless you’re married or get a job far away.

Also seconded.  32 here and I'm still with my mom.  No real plans to change that, although I'm occasionally living with my partner too (and will be going to live with her from April to October this year, in fact)

I happen to like my mom, so why mess with a good thing?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hopeisnotlost

Your english is very good. Welcome to Aven.Have some cake:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBUbjD39zaOharyowzZay

Welcome! I agree that your avatar is cute. I'm sorry for all the tough times you've been through. Glad you're doing better now.

Image result for cake image

Ma che bello vedere altri italiani! Mi sento meno sola ^^

29 minutes ago, Philip027 said:

Seconded.

Also seconded.  32 here and I'm still with my mom.  No real plans to change that, although I'm occasionally living with my partner too (and will be going to live with her from April to October this year, in fact)

I happen to like my mom, so why mess with a good thing?  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ooh! This actually is good info for me. Here in Italy we have this stereotype of  "italiani mammoni" that means more or less that we're too attached to our parents. I'm happy to learn that's actually a common thing around the world.

Ah about the situation with my parents, luckily now it's better even if sometimes she has a relapse. Luckily (part two) me being an adult now I have more control and I'm able to escape with my sister for some days until she's better. I actually love my mom and I'm happy that now I've a better relationship with her, still I think that one can love a person withouth forgiving them.

Ciao Gloria, benvenuto a AVEN ^_^  :cake: Piace di conoscerti!

Penso che tu scrivi inglese molto bene. Sto imparando parlare italiano, ma non cosi buono come tu parli inglese. É una lingua bella.

3 hours ago, GloriaA said:

I didn’t know about asexuality till I hit my twenties, so for some reasons that made sense at the time, I considered myself bisexual. The reason was the following: if I don’t like both men and women the same amount, but I think that I could be romantically attached to both, that means that I’m clearly bi.

Io avevo pensato la stessa cosa :lol: 

Sorry, I'll stop butchering the language now ;) 

54 minutes ago, Verb said:

Ciao Gloria, benvenuto a AVEN ^_^  :cake: Piace di conoscerti!

Penso che tu scrivi inglese molto bene. Sto imparando parlare italiano, ma non cosi buono come tu parli inglese. É una lingua bella.

Io avevo pensato la stessa cosa :lol: 

Sorry, I'll stop butchering the language now ;) 

Ah! Thank God I wasn't the only one XD

Your Italian is pretty good don't worry! It's a tricky language even for some native speakers ^^ you seem to be handling verbs very well which it's amazing since they are one of the hardest thing in our grammar! Another tricky thing for a non native speaker could be using articles and prepositions correctly since Italian apply a gender connotation (I don't know if it's the correct term) to everything!

Welcome! Wow, your English it better than mine! And I’m from England :P 

c3.jpg

Hello there, and welcome to AVEN! :cake:

As part of my welcome to you, I'd like to point out some important threads that might be helpful in your first few days here. :) The Terms of Service is here. We recommend you read it over, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to send either myself or any other administrator or moderator (the "admod" team, as we're called) a message.  Also, there's a handy forum called Site Info, which has some useful information including a thread outlining who moderates which forum. If you ever need something done in or have questions about a specific forum, please message the mod of that forum. And if you have problems with the site in general, or any single member, please message any admod. 

The following are also nifty links to take a look at:  Welcome Lounge Mini Manual | Welcoming 101 | Quick Guide to the Forums | Asexuality FAQ's

Again, welcome to AVEN and I hope your stay is everything you hoped!

Archived