Coming out?

Hi I was wondering about how to come out as asexual. I'm a little afraid because when I had brought up asexuality my family just shot me down and said that I wasn't asexual like they knew what i was feeling and I've been afraid to tell them that I am asexual now. I want to tell them but I'm afraid that they will disregard it just like they did before. Does anyone have any advise on what to do?

Sweet Potato

the only advise I have is to educate your family. Explain to them what asexuality really is, be warned though, family can be the hardest people to convince that you know what you are talking about. maybe try comming out to a good friend first, one who is preferably open minded and likely to be supportive.

Disclaimer: I have not told most of my family, I know them too well. I am only out to my little sister who is also my best friend and a major LGBTQA+ supporter

Hey gbuf45

Welcome to AVEN!

I 100% agree with @Sweet Potato. I think it's important to share the concept of asexuality first; explain that it is a less visible sexual orientation but no less valid from being gay or bi. However asexuality can be tricky because it is also an umbrella term - there are chances that people could notice they are not fully asexual, but instead grey-ace or demisexual.

It's not out of the ordinary to be shocked if a family member comes out as queer, I guess that information is something your family will have to understand and get used to if you decide to come out. Just stay positive, you aren't alone, we are all here to support you!

Best of luck x

Heey, I can relate.

I had a boyfriend last year. When I opened up to my parents and told them I didn't really like all the kissing and the touchy-feely stuff, they said that I didn't really love him then. This caused a lot of doubts about me and who I am, and now I am also struggling to figure out how to deal with my asexuality.