I should have known I was asexual when....

MiraMeyneth

Just realized when my mom gave me a book on how babies were made back in third grade, I read the whole thing, found it an interesting read, and then thought "Cool stuff, but i'm probably not gonna use this lul"

That was probably the first sign.

• Like 8
8 hours ago, MiraMeyneth said:

"Cool stuff, but i'm probably not gonna use this lul"

LOL I felt that way about Sex Ed at school... "uh, this is groovy 'n all but I want lunch." 😜

• Like 8

...when my favourite drink as a child was ACE juice. Clearly a sign 😉

Just kidding, but it really was my favourite drink, haha.

• Like 8
AcornCarvings

when I'd make up crushes to fit in in middle school

In seventh grade I wanted to be close to this kid and was crushing on him but when we actually started going out I wanted to just be friends with him...

Then in 10th grade when I broke up with this guy Id been dating for 6+ months (after 4+ months of wanting to p.s. I'm a pushover) and he asked if I thought I'd ever want love

when I look at kinky spaces and really want to join but am afraid I'd have to participate in sexy stuff to be included/ not ridiculed/ safe

hmmmmmmm

• Like 1
CuddleAlien

... when I found out I'm the only person on the internet, who writes fanfictions, that are not sex/romantic focused....

• Like 9
GeekyGamerZack
Just now, CuddleAlien said:

... when I found out I'm the only person on the internet, who writes fanfictions, that are not sex/romantic focused....

You mean I'm not alone?! 😲

• Like 5
CuddleAlien
Just now, GeekyGamerZack said:

You mean I'm not alone?! 😲

You're not! (\°O°/)

We schould make a club or so....

• Like 4
On 3/10/2018 at 9:08 PM, tunasupreme said:

I remember  trying to explain to my friends that I love Indy for his principles not his looks.The only thing I don't like about Indiana Jones would be those dumb romantic subplots.

I’ve always loved that scene in the second movie where Indy goes into Marion’s room and can’t be bothered to look at her because he’s too busy looking for a secret door—such a practical man :P 

Sweet Potato
16 hours ago, CuddleAlien said:

I was writing a story and I tried to write in a girlfriend for the main character. No matter what I couldnt get it to sound natural and not forced, because it was, the only purpose for her was as a romantic interest, it sucked. so I scrapped her, and made the MC ace. Much better.

• Like 5
The Flighty Ace
On 7/19/2018 at 10:41 PM, Sweet Potato said:

I was writing a story and I tried to write in a girlfriend for the main character. No matter what I couldnt get it to sound natural and not forced, because it was, the only purpose for her was as a romantic interest, it sucked. so I scrapped her, and made the MC ace. Much better.

One of the first serious stories I tried to write featured a girl whose only purpose was to be the love interest of the main guy character (and to a negligible extent the catalyst of the main conflict; the conflict was sound but she'd just been shoehorned in). I labored for YEARS trying to get the chemistry between them to feel real and not forced, and tried to write some way she'd ended up sharing a space with him without it sounding like some contrived Damsel In Distress storyline. Spoilers; it never worked, and now that story's been scrapped and the ENTIRE cast is going through an extensive rewrite.

Now I'm writing a new story with another male lead and his girlfriend plays a major role in it, but she's consistently falling into the spoiled, pampered Valley Girl stereotype. AGH.

• Like 1

When I didn't understand what was so appealing about sending and receiving nudes. Also when I didn't want to go any further than kissing with my first boyfriend

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, allieace said:

When I didn't understand what was so appealing about sending and receiving nudes. Also when I didn't want to go any further than kissing with my first boyfriend

I've tried that before. I would send a quick pic then go back into the living room and watch TV with my family.

Then one time, my dad accidentally sent a pic to me but got my phone before I could open it. I was o confused as to why he would send something like that to my mom.

I've never seen the appeal either. 

• Like 2
here_on_the_morrow
On 3/5/2018 at 9:32 PM, Moon Spirit ☽ said:

Though I still don't really get how people care about it so much seeing as how it is pretty much the same experience over and over again.

This.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, PottedPatchouli said:

This.

Maybe it's like smoking, drinking, or drugs. It's fun and they get some sort of "high" off of it?

• Like 2
The Flighty Ace
On 7/24/2018 at 1:06 AM, queerditch said:

I would send a quick pic then go back into the living room and watch TV with my family.

My ex asked for some pics and I only sent them because he asked, not because I actually particularly wanted to. Now I'm just been paranoid that they've gotten out. Now one of my other male friends is asking for pictures of just my belly as...I guess a fetish thing, I sent him one and now he still asks intermittently even after multiple "no I'm not comfortable with this"'s. "You sent me that one picture, what's wrong with sending more?"

Plus I just hate having my picture taken anyway.

• Like 1
stelliferous

In 7th grade when I knew I liked someone romantically but thought the idea of kissing them was super gross. I thought kissing (and sex) was a thing you wouldn't want or crave until you actually tried it. Learned later on that that was not the case!

• Like 3
20 hours ago, The Flighty Ace said:

My ex asked for some pics and I only sent them because he asked, not because I actually particularly wanted to. Now I'm just been paranoid that they've gotten out. Now one of my other male friends is asking for pictures of just my belly as...I guess a fetish thing, I sent him one and now he still asks intermittently even after multiple "no I'm not comfortable with this"'s. "You sent me that one picture, what's wrong with sending more?"

Plus I just hate having my picture taken anyway.

Why would he need another of the same thing? I'm pretty sure the way your stomach looks hasn't changed.

• Like 2
here_on_the_morrow
On 7/25/2018 at 2:06 PM, queerditch said:

Maybe it's like smoking, drinking, or drugs. It's fun and they get some sort of "high" off of it?

Maybe. I guess i enjoy smoking pot over and over again...

Aroace_bookworm

I can remember in elementary avoiding every situation where anyone might think i had a crush on this person, no matter how slim the possibilities. (my definition of those situations was any conversation with someone of the opposite gender longer than two or three minutes though, so...........)

It had to stop in grade 6, because of a school play and the fact that my friends started 'dating' (which back then meant holding hands at recess)

• Like 2

Everyone was fantasising about sleeping with actors/musicians etc. While I just wanted to be their bff

• Like 4

Other than the fact I've been blinded by the constant obsessive thoughts of OCD. I probably should have known I was asexual when in highschool when puberty is at its peak I wasn't interested in sex and thought it was gross. I mean when you're little that's normal but by highschool you think if probably be interested. Even the girl I was great friends with in middle School, I thought about her a lot and wanted to keep being friends after school but I never thought about sex. I was interested in the friendship.

• Like 4

In fifth grade, we had to take sex ed, and I remember thinking, "This doesn't apply to me." I didn't stop to think about why, because I had no idea that sex was something people were into. It was just another class I had to take, and I didn't question it. Had I known what sex was, that would have been a clue.

Then in 12th grade, I heard some classmates talking about another and how she's slept with a lot of people. And I thought, "People this young are having, sex? Really??" (By then I knew what sex was.) THAT should have been more of a clue, but since sex was so far off my radar, I just didn't spend energy thinking about it past that.

• Like 3
WaywardDaughter
  • When we had a "love theme" in Swedish class in like 8th grade where we had to describe our "future partner" and describe what we wanted and why, write love poems, etc. and those were the hardest Swedish lessons I've ever had because I was sitting there staring at an empty document I made something up. Pobably some of the worst things I've written (More aro than ace, but still) 
  • Classmates gushing over celebrities and overly muscular dudes and showing pictures of them and I'm just meh 
  • Questioning everything in Sex ed classes and in the end ruining my grade in biology by getting an E instead of the A's and B's (I did  study on the wrong things bc I focused on the "sex part" and didn't know more than half of the test was going to be about HIV/AIDS)
  • When family members ask if there's any cute boys in my class and me always answering no 
  • Like 3
Bronztrooper
4 hours ago, WaywardDaughter said:
  • When family members ask if there's any cute boys in my class and me always answering no 

I've had a similar issue, but it was my dad asking if I saw any cute girls.  I've had to deal with him asking it about people at work too, so I probably won't get away from it until I (somehow) manage to get my own place.

On 7/26/2018 at 5:33 PM, stelliferous said:

In 7th grade when I knew I liked someone romantically but thought the idea of kissing them was super gross. I thought kissing (and sex) was a thing you wouldn't want or crave until you actually tried it. Learned later on that that was not the case!

Same. I assumed it was something nobody cared about until they’d tried it, like smoking or something. 

• Like 1
SpaceDustbin
17 hours ago, WaywardDaughter said:
  • When we had a "love theme" in Swedish class in like 8th grade where we had to describe our "future partner" and describe what we wanted and why, write love poems, etc. and those were the hardest Swedish lessons I've ever had because I was sitting there staring at an empty document I made something up. Pobably some of the worst things I've written (More aro than ace, but still)  

For my Danish class last semester we had a practice exam where we had to reply to a letter where we'd have to describe our significant other, and how we met, and how in love we were. Eww. 

Skipped that class :lol:

usually it's themes like education, moving, cultural differences, so no problem there, but here I just drew a blank, and didn't even try ;)

• Like 2
Taylor Lilith

Both @WaywardDaughter and @Ryoko said bring back a lot of memories.

I remember doing this in Spanish class in high school. It's one of the very few times I just stared at a piece of paper and couldn't write. 

In health class I remember the paper being green and staring only at the gal. Not because of sexual interest but because I'm transgender. It was like,

"Guess this'll be on the test?  Not really interested nor is it important other than the score I'll get."

I was a mostly A's and a few B's student and what mattered to me was the grade not the interest in either a sexual and/or romantic relationship. 

I never even thought about this til just now O.o. 

• Like 1
displaymane

when everyone at school was looking at butts, and discussing butts, and zooming in on butts in photos, and all i saw was a.. butt

• Like 6
Taylor Lilith
15 minutes ago, displaymane said:

when everyone at school was looking at butts, and discussing butts, and zooming in on butts in photos, and all i saw was a.. butt

or drawing pictures of naked people and I'm just sitting here like... cool?  Good pen work?  Good job?  What did you want me to do?  It's a drawing of a naked person. 

They would just look at me like I was a moron and missing something completely obvious and go show their "art" to someone else. 

• Like 3
Sweet Potato
12 hours ago, displaymane said:

a fb friend posted a video of a dude doing pushups naked on a beach. I had 2 thoughts:
1: why did he tattoo his butt?

2: why would you want to be naked around sand?

• Like 5