Changing Romantic/Sexual Orientations Based on Gender?

ReyGraves

Bascially what the title is. Can a romantic or sexual orientation change based on your gender (if you’re flux or fluid)?

AcornCarvings

here's my take on it:

Some people I know who are MTF or FTM trans folk who used to ID as straight ID as gay or lesbian, some who used to ID as gay or lesbian ID as straight.

Some people I know are just like "f**k labels, I'm me and do whatever.

Even without gender stuff happening, people's sexualities can shift over time. Not like "I was gay and now I'm straight for life" though. That is not a thing and that if it were it would lead to some nasty ends. But there are gradual shifts in how people feel about others over time, and someone/something you like at one point in your life might change in another part of it. So I don't doubt that there can be shifts in sexuality based from gender. And you might be more attracted to someone when you are presenting or performing in one way and not in another. 

So yeah, probably. I haven't experienced that, but I imagine it is probably a thing.

Yeh it does happen - in fact there is a “label” for it - I can’t remember what it is but I read about it in Ash Hardells ABCs of LGBT book (sorry ive lost my copy of it apparently) and I’m sure it will be around somewhere on the internet. 

There are some people whose sexuality can just shift about a bit in a short amount of time so to say. 

Hope that helps a bit. 

1 hour ago, SebastianMichaelis said:

Yeh it does happen - in fact there is a “label” for it - I can’t remember what it is but I read about it in Ash Hardells ABCs of LGBT book (sorry ive lost my copy of it apparently) and I’m sure it will be around somewhere on the internet. 

There are some people whose sexuality can just shift about a bit in a short amount of time so to say. 

Hope that helps a bit. 

I was gonna stop reading after I saw abrosexual/romantic: someone who experiences a fluid and/or changing orientation. But I’m glad I kept reading becauseI think I found it:

Novosexual/romantic: A person whose attraction change based on the gender(s) they are experiencing.

I think this fits very well. When I’m agender I’m  aro ace. But when I’m a boy I think I’m homoromantic demisexual.

Thank you that did help! I just came here wondering if it was a thing, I didn’t know there was a label for it. I’m not likely to use it except, like, in my head or something. But good to know there’s a name for it!

• 2 months later...
AngryAbrosexualPanromantic

I'm abrosexual, which, as you've said, is a fluid sexuality. It's cool to see a Novosexual though. Not to trivialise or fetishise you, but I've never came across someone who identifies as being Novosexual before, and it's really cool. I hope you are happy and people except who you are.

• 1 month later...
Just Somebody

Answering that , yeah, there's even people called "omnigays" under the fluid orientation umbrella who are also part of the gendefluid umbrella and happen to love the same gender they switch to always.

Archived