Umbrella term?

Umbrella term?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider the term “asexual” as a unbrella term?

• No
    • Yes
    • Other (whatever you choose, you can state your reasoning in the comments)

I've met a lot of bisexual people who prefer to call themselves "gay" for whatever reason they have. That doesn't change the definition of bisexual, or the strength of the connection of "gay" meaning "homosexual". Bisexual people are unlikely to call themselves homosexual, though, because that's not accurate. The concept of homosexuality is only an element of bisexuality, though some bisexual people may think that in their everyday life the word "gay" applies best to them.

Similarly, people who are not asexual but under the umbrella might call themselves "ace" for some reason - simplicity's sake, identifying strongly with the whole community, or just thinking that the variation is none of anyone else's business - but that doesn't change the meaning of the word "asexual" as a concept.

There are nuances and complexities, and fine enough lines to create a diversity of opinions on exactly where those fine lines are, but my opinion is that the word "ace" as an abbreviation leaves more room for variation than "asexual" used in a more formal/technical sense. I'll probably have rotten fruit thrown at me for saying this, but when it comes down to it I'd much rather explain to people that "ace" is a slightly broader term than "asexual", rather than go into depths about why grey or demi people would say they're asexual while not purely demonstrating the concept.

I think “asexual” can be both a specific term and an umbrella term. Referring to the “asexual spectrum” is probably the more accurate way of labelling it as an umbrella term because some people consider themselves asexual 100%.

However being “asexual” could also mean that the individual is demi-sexual, grey-ace and so on. It depends on how the person desires to be labelled. 

Galactic Turtle

I don't personally consider it an umbrella term. I go along with "a-spec" because... choose your battles. :P Doesn't mean I don't recognize that most people probably do consider it to be an umbrella term because in the world and in online communities it's likely there will be far more "asexual until you meet the right person" people than "asexual asexual" people so it's "easier" to just gather around the same thing.

Absolutely not.  Asexual is asexual.

We already have a catch all term for the "not quite asexual but doesn't really feel outright sexual either" stuff.

• Like 1
Janus the Fox
18 hours ago, Gldlynch said:

I think “asexual” can be both a specific term and an umbrella term. Referring to the “asexual spectrum” is probably the more accurate way of labelling it as an umbrella term because some people consider themselves asexual 100%.

However being “asexual” could also mean that the individual is demi-sexual, grey-ace and so on. It depends on how the person desires to be labelled. 

Pretty much any and all terms within the LGBT especially can be made in reference to itself and an umbrella term.  Typically life is on an endless spectrum of difference.

• Like 2
everywhere and nowhere

I prefer the term "asexual spectrum" rather than "asexual umbrella". I don't know, maybe I associate "umbrella" with a broader term? Such as there is the "transgender umbrella" and it's very diverse, there are strict transsexuals, non-binary people, drag queens, drag kings, transvestites and so on... I wouldn't say that the asexual spectrum is this diverse, it's mostly organized around one aspect and includes different shades of asexual and "asexual-ish" people. It makes sense also because lack of enthusiasm for sex is "kinda" stigmatized in today's culture, so even people who feel some, non-zero sexual attraction usually have nowhere else to go to talk about their experience.

2 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

I prefer the term "asexual spectrum" rather than "asexual umbrella". I don't know, maybe I associate "umbrella" with a broader term? Such as there is the "transgender umbrella" and it's very diverse, there are strict transsexuals, non-binary people, drag queens, drag kings, transvestites and so on... I wouldn't say that the asexual spectrum is this diverse, it's mostly organized around one aspect and includes different shades of asexual and "asexual-ish" people. It makes sense also because lack of enthusiasm for sex is "kinda" stigmatized in today's culture, so even people who feel some, non-zero sexual attraction usually have nowhere else to go to talk about their experience.

Umbrella means applying to a verity of terms.

Fantastic Name

Completely depends on the context. I use it as an umbrella term when I say "asexual community" or "asexual spectrum", but when I say, "This person is asexual," I mean that literally -- they are completely asexual.