Sorry if this is a stupid question

NoNotReally

Stupid question, but how do I know if I am asexual/arromantic/whatever I am , or if I am not mature enough to fully know?

I'm 24 and have no desire for a romantic or physical relationship. The whole idea of sex is understandable form a biological point of view, but I don't know or understand why people are so fixated on it. I think I want kids in the future, but I would make a terrible parent. Why?

There's a quite widely accepted idea that sexuality can be fluid. That is to say, a person's sexual orientation can shift, change or even invert itself over time.

The point is, whatever you may be in the future, and whatever you may have been in the past, adopting a label is not a permanent thing. If you think you're asexual now, and want to use that label, do so. If you're still questioning and not really sure what fits, then that is also fine; there is absolutely no need to adopt any label unless you're happy with it. And if your situation changes in the future, you can change your label too. So I wouldn't worry too much about not being "mature enough" to know :P 

As for how you know? Well, that's going to be entirely based on your subjective experience. If you feel something that, to you, is "Sexual Attraction", then maybe think about using an appropriate label for whatever you feel. If you don't feel something that, to you, is "Sexual Attraction", you could quite possibly be Asexual.

Same thing with being Aromantic. If you feel it, if you don't...that's the distinction. But it's up to you to decide for yourself.

:cake: 

• Like 3

I had what I strongly believe was an asexual parent. She may have been a bit too critical but she also encouraged my belief I could be anything I wanted to be. Her faith in me became a touchstone the remainder of my life. 

Welcome to AVEN!

Firstly, not a stupid question. Whether a person is 14, 24, 34 or even older we have all been in the same boat as you. Asexuality isn’t overly easy to identify, the discovery almost comes from asking ourselves... why don’t we feel the way the hetero-normative society do? Am I just a late-bloomer?

I’m very much like you, I was 22 when I fully accepted myself as ace but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to at least try a relationship. I want to one day see what the hype around sex really is.

You don’t need to become a great parent, you just have to become a “good enough” parent! No one has a brochure for those things. Be the role model you wish you had as a child.