Anyone practicing Lent?

Yatogami

Just curious to know who fasts and practices Lent.

I have opted in to give to Charity every week this month, and go to church every Sunday. I do not normally attend. I have given up meat, and alcohol for the fast.

What are you giving up for lent?

Instead of giving something up, I'm trying to learn something. I want to learn another language, and my goal this lent is to get my duolingo page of that language fully completed.

Just now, squaggly said:

Instead of giving something up, I'm trying to learn something. I want to learn another language, and my goal this lent is to get my duolingo page of that language fully completed.

Oh, what language are you learning?

Grumpy Alien

I’ve never practiced Lent as a non-Christian and former Protestant but I love what you’re doing, @Malum and @squaggly ! Lovely ideas!

11 minutes ago, squaggly said:

Polish (uczę się języka polskiego)

Oh ja jestem z Polski, więc możesz do mnie napisać, jeśli będziesz potrzebować pomocy czy coś ;)

Oh I'm from Poland so you can message me if you need any help or something like that  ;)

4 minutes ago, cinary said:

Oh ja jestem z Polski, więc możesz do mnie napisać, jeśli będziesz potrzebować pomocy czy coś ;)

Oh I'm from Poland so you can message me if you need any help or something like that  ;)

I'll remember that. Thank you!!

45 minutes ago, Malum said:

Just curious to know who fasts and practices Lent.

I have opted in to give to Charity every week this month, and go to church every Sunday. I do not normally attend. I have given up meat, and alcohol for the fast.

What are you giving up for lent?

I gave up religion 25 years ago, no issues so far

32 minutes ago, squaggly said:

Polish (uczę się języka polskiego)

Oh dear, that is an incredibly hard language. Good luck!

Just now, Malum said:

Oh dear, that is an incredibly hard language. Good luck!

I found learning languages to be relatively easy for me, and pronunciation for Polish (oddly enough) makes a lot of sense for me. The writing is phonetic, unlike english (just look at the spelling of phonetic and tell me english is phonetic). The language is hard in the sense that conjugation is everywhere, and apparently everyone I've ever talked to in Polish thinks I'm a girl.

12 minutes ago, Andrew001 said:

I gave up religion 25 years ago, no issues so far

If you want, you can try fasting for the mental wellness that accompanies the practice. You give up your favorite thing for 30-40 days. Upon doing so, it renews your appreciation for it. You do not need the religious aspects if you do not want to participate.

5 minutes ago, squaggly said:

I found learning languages to be relatively easy for me, and pronunciation for Polish (oddly enough) makes a lot of sense for me. The writing is phonetic, unlike english (just look at the spelling of phonetic and tell me english is phonetic). The language is hard in the sense that conjugation is everywhere, and apparently everyone I've ever talked to in Polish thinks I'm a girl.

Yeah, polish makes sense,  it's not like englisch or french when you don't say half of the letters and the other half say in a completely different way. 

Maybe you are saying words in a female form, not male? (I don't know how to say it in a different way, o don't know how to say odmienić przez osoby in englisch). 

1 minute ago, cinary said:

Yeah, polish makes sense,  it's not like englisch or french when you don't say half of the letters and the other half say in a completely different way. 

Maybe you are saying words in a female form, not male? (I don't know how to say it in a different way, o don't know how to say odmienić przez osoby in englisch). 

I found out because when someone was helping me with past tense, I said rozmawiałam instead of rozmawiałem. Fun things like this you don't have to deal with in English

Oh yes, rozmawiałam is a female form of this verb. I know, that's one of the reasons why polish is so hard to learn/use. And you have to pay attention to other words like adjectives because a lot of things in polish change form depending on the gender of the person that's speaking or the "gender"  of the object you're speaking about. 

Sweet Potato

Ive given up using a washing machine or dryer during lent. so far hand washing has gone so well I might not go back! (also saved me about $24/week!)

33 minutes ago, Sweet Potato said:

Ive given up using a washing machine or dryer during lent. so far hand washing has gone so well I might not go back! (also saved me about $24/week!)

Interesting, and I myself gave handwashing a go a few times. It is surprisingly faster, and I wonder if its cleaner than using the machine sometimes. My own issue is the drying takes a long time if its not sunny outside. 

Sweet Potato
13 minutes ago, Malum said:

Interesting, and I myself gave handwashing a go a few times. It is surprisingly faster, and I wonder if its cleaner than using the machine sometimes. My own issue is the drying takes a long time if its not sunny outside. 

its still the middle of winter here so sunny is still useless and cold. I hang them up near a vent so they get some airflow, it takes about 6-8 hours to dry, jeans and heavy fabrics take longer.  in summer will be so much faster when I can put them out in the sun and wind.

I gave up Tumblr for Lent but also took on the task of being nicer to myself. Trying to leave nice messages and practice some more self-care (giving up Tumblr also sort of fell into said self-care). Harder than it sounds.

EmotionalAndroid

I used to give up things (like sweets, soda, etc), but in recent years I have been giving up negative behaviors. This year, I am trying to give up worrying and complaining. I have been doing okay. I do still do it, but whenever I catch myself, I stop it and change my thoughts to something more positive.

I've never done lent before, but am doing it this year because all my friends around me were. So I gave up sweets and bread.

I find it so interesting that there can be so many different lent concepts! Good luck with learning your new language, and giving up negativity is quite incredible - I don't know if I could stop complaining, but I would like to have the kind of courage to stop it and be positive all the time. 

njosnavelin

I do give up stuff occasionally on my own not pertaining to lent.

I go through phases with coffee. I love coffee. I love making it. I love serving it. I love the ritual of coffee. In December my coffee desire wains, and I switch to tea. I do it because I don’t want to feel like coffee controls me and I still have the power to control it.  It has been three months and rolling. 

I also like to add new routines. I am trying to have a stalk of celery, a couple carrots, and an apple every day. I have failed some days, but I have succeeded many more.

It is something to try that is different to see how I feel. There doesn’t need to have a religious component to giving something up. We should all practice this to sharpen our mental awareness.

njosnavelin
On 3/3/2018 at 12:54 PM, squaggly said:

All the best. I have been sluggishly  attempting the Turkish tree with eight more lessons to unlock. It has been nearly a year. I have diverted into other aspects of the Turkish language beyond Duolingo. I keep going. It is like a code that I want to crack. I get closer to figuring it out. 

Kolay gelsin!

shakemyfeathers

I decided at one point that for Lent I'm giving up. Just... giving up.

I was raised very Catholic but haven't participated in the faith in a while.

• 2 weeks later...
njosnavelin

Curious to see how everyone has been doing on their commitment to Lent or other external reason beyond a religious motivation.

To update: 

I still continue having the celery, apple, and carrots. I am not perfect I missed a day or two.  I love my green tea in the morning. I added a new routine. To try doing at least  20 minutes no more than 40 minutes of yoga everyday. I have missed one day out of the last two weeks.  

Keep going on your accomplishments. Do you think you will continue the routine beyond lent?

E Wildflower

I feel like I normally spend too much time watching YouTube, so I decided to give that up for Lent. Technically I've stuck to it, but my hope was that it would allow me to cut down on my late-night screen time, which by extension might mean better sleep. It hasn't really worked in that respect. (I've ended up just spending a lot of late nights on here!) Because it hasn't really worked for me in the way I'd hoped, I'll probably go back to watching YouTube videos fairly often after this week, but I will also try to think of some more ways to be mindful of the amount of time I spend with my nose in my computer screen, especially at night.

Archived