Platonic Underdog

Platonic Underdog

Okay, first of all I am Platonic Underdog, but I guess you can call me Underdog, I guess? 

I've actually been lurking on this site for a while now, but I was too anxious to make a profile (please insert awkward, depreciatory chuckle here). I found out about being ace/aro when I was seventeen and told my parents right away and it went great! I told them, they didn't know what it meant (of course they didn't *sigh*). I explained it to them and it was a lightbulb moment for them ("oh my God, this explains so much") and they accepted me right away. I thing accepting my orientation was easier thanks to them. They told I was like my Aunt who never dated in high school and that prevented some nasty thoughts, to an extent. But I realised what I actually was, came out and was accepted! So I am very grateful to them. I get that that doesn't happen to everyone, and I hope you know how amazing you are and that you'll find the right people one day who'll realise that.

I don't really know what else to say here, mostly due to my own anxiety. But I look forward to getting to know people who are like me.

p.s I can't believe I can actually talk to people like me!!!  *Anxiety and joy proceed to war it out in my head*

MissMidnight

Welcome :)

I glad it was a good experience telling your parents :) It can be pretty rough! 

lol it is pretty exciting knowing your talking to people that actually get where your coming from thats for sure. 

Also really good to see another Aussie :P 

Platonic Underdog

Yeah, it was nerve wracking but I may have been overwhelmed with "MOTHER, FATHER, I HAVE FOUND MY PEOPLE" to really acknowledge it. 

I agree on the Aussie comment. Wish there were enough in my area for a meet up. But looks like I have to make do with bring an ace/aro encyclopaedia with me when I come out to people 😑 😂

MissMidnight

Well there is a meet up channel, If you leave near Perth there seems to be alot. If your in Victoria theres a regional post and the Melbourne people seem to be on Meetup though I have no idea when the next meet up is.. no one seems to check it lately but once my post is replied to there I could tell you if your from Melbourne? Other areas Im not really sure about but might be worth just looking in the meet up section :)

Platonic Underdog

Thanks, I had a look. But I live in Adelaide and it seems like there's not a lot going on here, unfortunately. Oh well,  Pride is on later on this year, so I might go to it. I've never actually been so it would certainly be an adventure! 😄 

MissMidnight

Well hopefully you get lucky and there is people from Adelaide :) 

It does sound like it would be pretty fun 

Platonic Underdog

Yeah, hopefully. And it absolutely does seem like Pride would be a blast. Would love to rep some ace/aro pride with a couple flags or something, if I can find a place that sell them. I've heard Etsy is pretty good for that sort of thing.

Platonic Underdog

Thank you very much 😊 

banoffeepie
3 hours ago, Platonic Underdog said:

They told I was like my Aunt who never dated in high school

Hey Hi.. great experience, thanks for sharing :D

I suspect there is a certain degree of hereditary tendancies towards asexuality  (a very debatable idea of course)

In my family I have individuals who I suspect are asexual. My mother, one of my daughters and my sister. All because of things they've said or attitudes they have.

Guest Deus Ex Infinity

Hey there Underdog :)

Welcome and thanks for sharing your encouraging story. It's great to have you here. There's no need to be shy or afraid. We're mostly a bunch of nice open-minded, supportive guys. Hope you'll enjoy your time with us.

Have some cake and make yourself at home ;)

schokokuchen-rezepte-img-18496.jpg

Platonic Underdog

Aw, thanks you too. It's awesome to join such a welcoming group. Although my Aunt turned out to be very straight (now married with a child), it was still encouraging to know that I wasn't a freak just because I didn't want the same things as my peers, despite being the black sheep of the family (rainbow sheep? Sheep with ace aro colours?), I sm so excited to being able to chat to people like me 😄

p.s I don't think I've stopped smiling in couple of hours. I would have signed a hell of a lot soon had I know it would have this kind impact 😄

Platonic Underdog
Just now, Platonic Underdog said:

Aw, thanks you too. It's awesome to join such a welcoming group. Although my Aunt turned out to be very straight (now married with a child), it was still encouraging to know that I wasn't a freak just because I didn't want the same things as my peers, despite being the black sheep of the family (rainbow sheep? Sheep with ace aro colours?), I sm so excited to being able to chat to people like me 😄

p.s I don't think I've stopped smiling in couple of hours. I would have signed a hell of a lot soon had I know it would have this kind impact 😄

Whoops meant you two. It's like five in morning here haha😅

Welcome! Congratulations on coming out going so well! :D 

c3.jpg

Platonic Underdog

Aw, thank you so much. Just as a side note, chocolate cake is actually my favourite cake (also cheesecake, does that count?)

Hello there, and welcome to AVEN! :cake:

As part of my welcome to you, I'd like to point out some important threads that might be helpful in your first few days here. :) The Terms of Service is here. We recommend you read it over, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to send either myself or any other administrator or moderator (the "admod" team, as we're called) a message.  Also, there's a handy forum called Site Info, which has some useful information including a thread outlining who moderates which forum. If you ever need something done in or have questions about a specific forum, please message the mod of that forum. And if you have problems with the site in general, or any single member, please message any admod. 

The following are also nifty links to take a look at:  Welcome Lounge Mini Manual | Welcoming 101 | Quick Guide to the Forums | Asexuality FAQ's

Again, welcome to AVEN and I hope your stay is everything you hoped!

Platonic Underdog

Thank you 😀

Platonic Underdog

Thank you 😄

Archived