I think I'm beginning to doubt myself again

Flump222

So, I kind of fluctuate a lot in my feelings like this, and I just want to put my feelings on here. I've (sort of) ID'd as ace for a while now, and I while back I made a post about really doubting myself and feeling lesser. I was really down during that time. I started to get a bit more confident, and then even tried to narrow down my place on the spectrum a bit more (I thought I was in the gray area, but began to think that I'm heteroromantic asexual). Now, I sort of feel like I'm starting to doubt myself again, and I don't know why. I don't want to feel like that.

I guess I should provide a bit of context first. When I had my first (and only) crush, it was purely romantic, and I didn't have sexual thoughts or urges involving her. I feel that in a relationship, having sex and the like would just kind of ruin my view of them, and the thought of sex with my dream partner is not very appealing. I view sex and relationships as two very separate things. I do masturbate, and have an active libido (but I think most of the time I do it is because I'm bored). I think the thing that really interests and arouses me is the act, rather than the person (as I'll get into later). I never really think about wanting sex and intimacy with a specific person. On the subject of fantasies, I usually have some difficulty in making them. When I do have them, the do involve me (usually), however, the other person's features are never clear, and it never is a specific person. With some extra effort, I can imagine it being a specific person, but it never really adds anything, and is sort of unnatural for me. At most, I'm indifferent. I never think about another specific person sexually and think "yes, that's I thing that I really want." I am pretty sure I experience aesthetic attraction, as sometimes I want to just look at a person, but I don't want to see them naked or do anything sexual (at least I think so). Rarely, I may get physical reactions, but I think this is just hormones (I'm just 15) because there isn't any mental feeling there.

Also, on a different note, the reason I look for labels is because they make me comfortable. Uncertainty in any way just completely destroys me.

That should do it for a sort of explanation of how I feel. I'm sorry if this is long, but I just need to get this out there again. I don't want to doubt myself again. What do you think about my position on the spectrum (if I am on it at all). Again, sorry for this, but I want to finally be confident in myself and not doubt myself again.

Purple Wanderer

sounds like you were right with heteroromantic asexual,               

Regarding your crush. What did you want?  just to be with? comfortable hugging? Kissing? wanting any level of further intimacy

I think identifying as an asexual makes me doubt myself about it in a sort of way, because I don’t really have a way to tell whether I am truly not having this sexual attraction or whatever it is. How am I supposed to tell what it is when I have never experienced it in the first place?!

What worked for me was working my way to cope with that uncertainty. The terms we use are just labels after all. I wish someone had told me this when I began identifying as an asexual..

Just a food for thought :)

On 2/28/2018 at 6:29 PM, MrJ said:

sounds like you were right with heteroromantic asexual,               

Regarding your crush. What did you want?  just to be with? comfortable hugging? Kissing? wanting any level of further intimacy

I just wanted to get to know her better, and just have her be someone that I can really depend on. Stuff like that.

Janus the Fox

Your position is yours as how you feel about it not, feelings may fluctuate at times.

Maintain communications with a partner at all time that's freely available, a person my discover more about themselves through honest and open communication with the partner in mind.

3 hours ago, Janus DarkFox said:

Maintain communications with a partner at all time that's freely available, a person my discover more about themselves through honest and open communication with the partner in mind.

What do you mean by partner? I assume you mean romantic partner, and I don't have one (probably never will, heh, forever alone). What do you recommend in the case you don't have one (if that's what you meant).

Janus the Fox
On 03/03/2018 at 3:57 AM, Flump222 said:

What do you mean by partner? I assume you mean romantic partner, and I don't have one (probably never will, heh, forever alone). What do you recommend in the case you don't have one (if that's what you meant).

A significant other by partner yes.  But yeah, if one has no partner, then there's no communication happening of course. 

Archived