Should I come out to my parents?

Wandering Warlock

Wandering Warlock

I want to tell my parents about my asexuality, but a few things are holding me back:

1-My parents will just think I'm Abstaining. My mom is a hardcore Catholic, and my dad is an agnostic, so of the two my dad is most likely to somewhat understand. I also am an avid gamer so they may think its just an excuse for me not having a girlfriend.

2-My brother practically worships me and will do whatever I do, so if he finds out I'm ace, he will become ace too. I know he's hecka straight, and I don't want him forcing himself to be something he isn't. 

I currently wearing an ace ring, but my family doesn't know what it means.

Should I tell my parents? Any thoughts?

• Like 1
SilverForestFae

That is very nice of you to consider your brother like that. It can be really damaging to try to be something you're not. I'm kind of in the same boat cause as much as I think my Mom might understand there's always the chance she won't. Personally, I think I want to wait until I've come more to terms with it myself. But, who knows, it might help me if I had more people who knew and accepted it. So that might be something to consider. I also like don't care about relationships. Like, if I find someone who fits my standards, maybe sure, but I'm not going to settle and I'm perfectly fine not having one. My Mom already knows that part, and she knows I personally would never have sex if I weren't married. So part of me wonders if there's even a point to tell anyone else..

But like OptimisticPessimist said, it really is your own choice. I wish we could know how these things would play out beforehand, but sadly we don't. 

PS I like your username. It sounds like a book title I'd totally love haha

• Like 1