Panromantic Asexual - The Contradiction

adm2013

Recently I have completely come to terms with my romantic orientation. Seeing as I am romantically attracted to anyone, regardless of sex or gender, I have started to identify as panromantic. I just wanted to know others’ stories about their panromantic asexuality! :cake:

For me it basically means that, on the rare occasion I'm actually romantically attracted to someone (I'm also demiromantic), gender just doesn't play a role. I don't know if I really have any stories related to it, though, because it was the easiest part of my identity for me to figure out once I realized that being ace was a thing. It was sort of a "Oh, romantic and sexual orientations aren't the same thing? Then I'm definitely ace. But romantic orientation... Maybe heteroromantic? I've only been attracted to a guy... Haha no, that's definitely not true. Pan."

I also battled for a while between what the heck I was feeling. When I first discovered asexuality, I understood that romantic and sexual attraction were different and it took a while to figure out what romantically attracted me. I practically went through every different orientation before I realized I am pan. It’s been a wild ride but I’m glad I found this site to help me out.

From my experience it seems that gender is not important if I am romantically attracted to somebody. First I started with identifying as heterosexual. After I fell in love with a friend I started to identify as something bi. Latter I realized that I am grey ace and after thinking about what made me to be attracted to other people I recognized that their gender is not important to me. It is more the individual qualities of a person, their personality, clothing, gestures, look, especially their face, but not their gender or biological sex.

I'm pretty much the same as above. For me, I've almost always considered myself bi/ pan, before realising I was ace. 

I've always been attracted to both guys and girls (in the relationship sense, and both physically (as in good looking) and emotional) and for me, it's more of a sense of 'gender doesn't matter', as much as who the person is (which is why I prefer pan to bi). I could see myself being in a relationship with someone who's male, female, non-binary, trans etc etc. none of that plays a part in how I would feel about them/ their attractiveness to me.

ProudMuggle

For a long time, I thought I was pansexual. I’ve known about the differences between sexual attraction and romantic attraction for about seven years but I was very much in denial about my being asexual. I was around a lot of people who told me that I was a late bloomer, that I would like sex once I tried it. 

It was only recently that it hit me (like a brick to the face) that I was, in fact, asexual. Everything made sense. 

As for being panromantic, that came more naturally, seeing my earlier suspicions. As I’ve gotten older I’ve found myself more and more romantically attracted to all kinds of people. I used to be in the habit of saying “guys I’m interested in” now I’m much more in the habit of saying “people I’m interested in”

And I just went on an unnecessary tangent. Sorry. 😅

The reason I currently identify as greyromantic is because I'm still unsure about whether I'm panro or aro. I'm non-binary, very ace, and very introverted, so I reckon attraction for me would come in the form of falling for a particular person's attributes rather than being attracted to a particular gender. However, while I'm not opposed to the idea of romance, I don't know if I've ever even had a crush, and I find it difficult to tell sometimes if it's just that I really want to be friends with a person despite my anxiety and awkwardness, or I'm nervous for another reason. I've taken to calling it "Schrodinger's attraction."

ProudMuggle
28 minutes ago, Sergeant_Turtle said:

The reason I currently identify as greyromantic is because I'm still unsure about whether I'm panro or aro. I'm non-binary, very ace, and very introverted, so I reckon attraction for me would come in the form of falling for a particular person's attributes rather than being attracted to a particular gender. However, while I'm not opposed to the idea of romance, I don't know if I've ever even had a crush, and I find it difficult to tell sometimes if it's just that I really want to be friends with a person despite my anxiety and awkwardness, or I'm nervous for another reason. I've taken to calling it "Schrodinger's attraction."

Can I just say I love the term you used? It’s amazing and brilliant and I applaude you, sergeant. 

On 3/11/2018 at 11:08 PM, Sergeant_Turtle said:

I've taken to calling it "Schrodinger's attraction."

I believe there is a term called something like "Schromantic" which is what you described. It's a pretty cool sounding word.

Archived