Demigirl ?

StarMap

After loads of thought and experimentation w/ personal labels, I have come to the conclusion that I am a demigirl - the non-girl part being agender. It describes how I feel toward myself accurately, I feel most comfortable thinking of myself as such, and I know it goes beyond not necessarily wanting to fit into societal expectations for girls. 

However, when I was discussing it with my mum, something interesting came up. My parents have always been very supportive and educated when it comes to LGBTQ+ stuff so I just kind of started an open conversation with my mum about it. I asked her about her experience with gender, since I know she’s told me before that she doesn’t really feel like a traditional female. She described her experience to me, said that sometimes it feels like she’s “on the outside looking in” when she’s with girls, which described exactly how I felt. We went on to find a lot more connections like this. The reason I’m finding this interesting is that it’s implying that my mum could also be a demigirl - in fact, all the women on her side could be. My grandmother seems like she could fit into here too and from what I’ve heard about my great grandmother she wasn’t exactly the most traditional woman. But I’m just wondering what this means. Is it genetic, and ALL the women on my mum’s side are slightly genderqueer? Are we all women with a similar personality type that just really doesn’t like/identity with gender roles? It’s just strange to me. Of course anything can be passed on from one family member to the next but this seems oddly specific. Is it just the way we were raised to be open minded people? Or is this really genetically possible? I guess it is all about how you relate to yourself - maybe it doesn’t have to be genetic at all and this is just the way it turned out.  Am I actually a demigirl, or is my family just different?  I’m still going to keep identifying as a demigirl since it makes me the most comfortable. I guess it’s just bugging me statistically? Like could ALL women on Mum’s side be demigirls? Is that even possible? I don’t know. Probably? I’m not even really sure what I’m asking here. I just wanted to talk about it. It’s kind of been nipping at my brain for the last week or so. 

• 3 months later...
NaianePitzer

This is so interesting! I'm demigirl myself, so I know how you and your mom feel. I'm not sure if it could be genetic, I mean, I don't think anyone in my family is a demigirl like me. I think it would an interesting topic for research. It's just really unfortunate we have such little conversations about what it means to be a demigirl.

Ms. Carolynne

That's interesting, I can't say my family's quite like me however. I might be in a different boat though, I was born male (you're AFAB, right?), although my non-girl part is agender as well.

The other male-born individuals in my family are much in line with being traditionally masculine, and are definitely cis / binary males. My oldest brother is a bit feminine in some regards, but not by much. He's the only exception, but I'm not sure it has much to do with gender.

OTOH, the women in my family are not traditionally feminine on either side. I'm not sure how they feel about gender, but they definitely don't conform to gender roles.

Archived