Closet door wide open

k2005fishy

So... I did it I finally came out to my parents. I thought I would feel better but I don't. I was basically given the ultimatum. Go back to being a cisgender person or you are no longer welcome here. Welll... I can't go back to what I never was in the first place. I am nonbinary and very proud of me. If you can't love me for me then that is love I don't need in life. So now I don't have a home that I once had since I was a kid. I have my own apartment as I am an adult so I am at least not homeless. I know other people have it worse than me when coming out no doubt. It makes me appreciate I at least still have friends who love me for me. I also have amazing coworkers who were helping me pick up the pieces today. So in one way I am so sad and in others I am elated this process has shown me who my real friends are in life. I am thinking more about it. I have family because friends are the family you choose. 

Real friends and family appreciate you for who you are, not what you are. Coming out's pretty brave, especially to people you've known for your entire life. It's really unfortunate that some people don't even try to accept these kinds of things.

purplepassion

Congratulations on coming out of the closet! You will always have a family here ;):) 

It always baffles and saddens me that the people who are supposed to love you most, family, would be more understanding about having a proverbial criminal in their midst (as it were) than someone who's not cis/heteronormative. What IS the big deal?? It's still the same person.

If it's shame then that's sad that their child is worth less than saving face with family and friends. If it's fear then what is there to be afraid of???

Congratulations in having the courage to come out, though.

I saw my parents reaction to a kid i went to school with when his parents kicked him out for being gay. They stated "if that was my kid, I would never do that. They are my child I would love them regardless." Apparently,  when situations happen to them. They react with the same ignorance they had once condemned. 

I know gender and sexuality are two different things. I should know I identify as not the normative for both. I think the biggest shocker, was my gender but I am not asking foe much in life by asking you to use gender neutral pronouns as the only change in life. I was willing to keep my given name for them. I was doing so out of honor, but really I prefer my chosen name from everyone else. 

Archived