Aromantic?

DarthMulligein

DarthMulligein

I'm pretty sure that I am aromantic, but I want to know how you knew and how I can know more certainly. If that doesn't make any sense, I'm sorry I am just not very good with words and stuff so yeah.

Hi Darth!

I don't think everyone's experiences are all the same, but my personal experience with discovering I was aromantic was quite a long journey.

I'm now 26 and when all my friends were dating during their teens, I just didn't. When I would be asked out I would freak out a bit and just feel uncomfortable, eventually when I did force myself to date in my early 20's I found that I just wan't developing this 'connection' that everyone else seemed to get. No butterflies, no spark, no desire to hold hands, kiss or cuddle, I didn't understand why my friends would get all 'gushy' about guys they dated and in general I just seemed unable to experience love - don't get me wrong, I strongly like the guys I date, they've all been great guys, but that's purely as far as my feelings for them go. I like them as much as I like my closest friend, no more or less, there's nothing 'extra' there and I don't have any desire to spend all my time with them or do anything differently than what I do with my platonic friends. 

I think knowing whether you're asexual/aromantic/demiromantic is very difficult, you don't necessarily need to box yourself into one label and stick with it as you may find down the line that one label suits you better than 'aromantic', I think for me, just finding a community that understood how I feel is what made me comfortable with accepting the 'aromantic' label for now, but again, even I'm unsure if I will always consider myself aromantic.

Not sure if this helped at all, but I'm happy to talk :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Same here...I just felt crept out by all the teenage slushiness around me. I'm the sort of person who doesn't appreciate flowers and chocolates, but friendship instead.

I'm actually in the process of coming to the realization I'm aro. A little while ago, I identified as akoiromantic, but my reason for saying I'm aromantic is simply because I don't want a romantic relationship, and I don't understand romantic relationships. As in, why would I date if I could be really close, physically affectionate friends?

Archived