Sign of being asexual?

I had a boyfriend for a while. He was super sweet and was willing to go my pace of things. He asked one day, “Can I kiss you?” I misheard him thinking he said, “Can we hang out?” He brought it up later and told me what he actually said. I freaked out. I didn’t feel comfortable with the prospect of being kissed. And I thought it over a lot and broke up with him. I never told anyone that I panicked over the idea of being kissed. And before that moment I had been questioning my sexuality, and afterwords even more so. I’m just not sure if it’s a sign of being asexual or if it’s more a sign of being aromantic. (I’m in high school.)

Hey Aleda

Welcome to AVEN!

Not wanting to kiss or have any form of close intimacy with a significant other is a classic asexual trait so you are probably on the spectrum somewhere.

We need to distinguish the differences between asexual and aromantic attraction. Asexual is when you experience a lack of sexual attraction towards a person (you don't want to have any shape of sexual contact) and aromantic is when you experience a lack of romantic attraction (you don't experience the stereotypical warm fuzzies... butterflies... etc.).

It's possible to be somewhere on both spectrums (:

• Like 1

Not wanting to kiss is a sure sign of not being into kissing. I can't see any reason why a sexual can't dislike kissing or why an asexual can't like kissing. Neither can I see any reason why an aromantic person cannot like kissing.

Misunderstandings between aces and non-aces start when sexuals see things like kissing, cuddling etc. as foreplay, whereas we see it as a sensual activity with no more to it.

• Like 2

I know that it probably means you don't like men in some way. Have you ever considered that you like women? If that isn't a possibility then it could definitely be a sign that you're ace.

I know that when I was a clueless middle schooler, I tried to date men. And the idea of doing anything with them made me very uncomfortable, and I thought it meant I wasn't ready. Turns out I was asexual homoromantic, but it took me years to put that together.