Problems with being Aromantic

arekathevampyre

BessTheLandlordsDaughter
On 2/24/2018 at 3:50 PM, spazzticsoda said:

Some hard parts of being aromantic:

1) trying to make friends with people who develop attractions to you; I have been able to have some great male friends, but others act like they understand, then still try to push like they didn't actually believe me the whole time. I end up having to drop them as a friend

2) friends getting significant others and slowly fading more and more out of your life.. You were the one they spent all their time with but not anymore. I understand, but it still hurts. I also will get jealous of the attention they give their partners.

3) people assuming you have dated or are a sexual person and you struggle with whether to tell people the whole spiel anytime sexuality comes up.  Usually just end up saying nothing.

All of this so much! 

I'm currently struggling with a male friend that could be great but I'm not sure he's going to be able take me seriously when I try to explain why we're never going to be a couple.

I also have to regularly remind myself that I shouldn't be mad or bitter with my best friend just because she's happy with her girlfriend and has a toddler so I'm constantly shunted further down the list of priorities.

I tend to beg out of sex conversations by saying my opinions are based more on theory than practice.

Other than trying to force myself to be interested in people I didn't actually like, and trying to fake having a relationship, there is no significant daily challenge for now, especially after discovering aromanticsm. I used to be scared of my mild to intense non-romantic/non-sexual feeling towards some people, I still do, but I can understand and forgive myself more. 

I used to say I'm straight as an arrow, but now I say I'm aro as a straight.

Why are so many people liking this? What I said makes no sense.

Tasha the demi squirrel
On 17/03/2018 at 1:45 PM, Beaver Boy said:

In real life, I hug my sister and lots of times people think were a couple, which is threefold annoying because 1. I’m aro ace, 2. We’re siblings, and 3. She’s gay. And then, she’s like a really close friend to me so I guess that’s why ppl think she’s my girlfriend?

I've never understood why people jump to conclusions like that........as well as hugging my sister I call her darling and we used to sometimes hold hands so people might have assumed we are together but why is it so strange for sisters (or any 2 siblings) to be so close? 

Tasha the demi squirrel
On 21/03/2018 at 9:38 PM, Wish Bear 🌠 said:

This is the reason why I liked that post. :lol:

Lol 

On March 17, 2018 at 9:45 AM, Beaver Boy said:

I hug my sister and lots of times people think were a couple

This actually has happened to me as well. I can't explain... 

NotFlamboyant
On 22/2/2018 at 8:58 PM, StormySky said:

Only problem I face is annoying questions asked.

"How are you still single? You're too pretty!"

"Why haven't you been in any relationships?"

"How come you don't have a boyfriend? Are you into women?"

"I feel sorry for you that you're single"

Why feel sorry for me? I like not being commited to one person. It allows me to spend more time working on musicy stuff, and going out with friends instead of feeling obligated to go out with that "special someone"

I'm heteroromantic, but I can relate to this... because I'm not interested in having a boyfriend for the moment and when people know I'm single, they ask me the same annoying questions. <_<

Friends that end up having romantic feelings for you..thank you but no thank you 

givememyname
15 hours ago, Mae__ said:

Friends that end up having romantic feelings for you..thank you but no thank you 

This is the worst. I always think "wow thanks for ruining our great friendship!!", but of course I don't say it out loud :D

21 hours ago, Mae__ said:

Thankfully I've never had to experience this... only problem is, lots of my friends date other friends and think for some reason that it would be a good idea to ask me for romantic advice. They know I'm aromantic too. I swear, I love them but it's things like this that make me question their sanity. :D

But seriously, like lots of others have mentioned, the main problem for me is that I'm scared my friends will leave me at some point since generally friendship isn't deemed as important as romance.

8 hours ago, givememyname said:

This is the worst. I always think "wow thanks for ruining our great friendship!!", but of course I don't say it out loud :D

Pfttt literally reading my mind! :lol:

• 1 year later...

Archived