Hello!

Ace_Cat

Hey Everyone! 

I just joined this evening and I thought I would say a bit about myself. 

I am a few months away from earning my Master of Arts in Biological Anthropology, which is the fancy way of saying I study human ancestors. Although my department is the study of people, I actually work in a fossil site in Kenya that predates humans (~17 Million years old) and I am working on reconstructing the environment there. Right now I live in Alberta, Canada but my career path causes me to move a lot so who knows where I will be next. Although moving to new places is super interesting and exciting, it can be lonely and I typically find it hard to be open with those who are around me. Most of the people I associate with are coworkers so there is not much personal conversing going on, and since I typically don't stay somewhere permanently I find it difficult to try and pursue a relationship. All that aside I LOVE what I do and I am more than happy to chat with anyone about it (fossil lovers hit me up)! 

Outside what I do for work I am a pretty dorky individual. I love to play video games and watch anime in my free time. I also used to play University level basketball in my undergrad (I don't anymore and I kind of miss it). I like to read, I used to really like fantasy but lately I am all about non-fiction (If you haven't read "Devil in the White City" you definitely should!). I also have a very large tea collection for someone who drinks coffee regularly.

I am lucky to have moved closer to my family after 5 years of being far away, though they have no idea about my orientation. I know I should tell them but I am one of those people who doesn't want to make a big deal out of it, though I am tired of the constant "why haven't you brought a boy home yet?" (I am homoromantic for reference).

The reason I joined is to be connected to people like me, as I said before moving can get lonely. This community looks like a very open and friendly one that I can talk about not only my orientation but my personal interests as well! I really look forward to getting to know you all! 

Cat

Welcome! What kind of video games and anime are you into? You said you l8ked fantasy/ non-fiction books, so does it transfer? 

If you’re really interested in meeting people on your travels you could always try to check out the meetups in different parts of the world, or maybe even try to start your own? Just a thought.

chocolate-chocolate+cake.jpg

@Lichley Thanks! I definitely prefer fantasy video games, my favourite series is the Bioshock series and I just finished Devil May Cry 4 which I really enjoyed. For anime, I mostly watch slice of life and sports anime, but I do have a friend whose goal it is to find the weirdest anime he can and he often sends me some of those. He just suggested "Humanity has declined" and it looks like the weirdest thing and I am excited to watch it. And Meetups are a good idea, I get pretty anxious when it comes to meeting in big groups but I should definitely check one out. 

@Princess Merida Thank you! 

Hello there, and welcome to AVEN! :cake:

As part of my welcome to you, I'd like to point out some important threads that might be helpful in your first few days here. :) The Terms of Service is here. We recommend you read it over, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to send either myself or any other administrator or moderator (the "admod" team, as we're called) a message.  Also, there's a handy forum called Site Info, which has some useful information including a thread outlining who moderates which forum. If you ever need something done in or have questions about a specific forum, please message the mod of that forum. And if you have problems with the site in general, or any single member, please message any admod. 

The following are also nifty links to take a look at:  Welcome Lounge Mini Manual | Welcoming 101 | Quick Guide to the Forums | Asexuality FAQ's

Again, welcome to AVEN and I hope your stay is everything you hoped!

Welcome, I am studying anthropology too :cake:

53 minutes ago, Vicky Angel said:

Welcome, I am studying anthropology too :cake:

Oh cool! What are you studying?

Hi! I'm an environmental science major, but your career sounds interesting! Would you mind elaborating on this? It sounds cool.

On 2/21/2018 at 10:24 PM, Ace_Cat said:

Although my department is the study of people, I actually work in a fossil site in Kenya that predates humans (~17 Million years old) and I am working on reconstructing the environment there.

6 hours ago, Flwr said:

Hi! I'm an environmental science major, but your career sounds interesting! Would you mind elaborating on this? It sounds cool.

I sure can! I graduated with a double major in Geology and Biology but I always had an interest in palaeontology. I met my professor through email and we hit it off so here I am! 

I am a part of an international research team called the REACHE project (if you are curious you can view our project goals at www.reacheproject.com). My roll in the group is to sample the fossilized tooth enamel of herbivores from two East African fossil sites. I take the samples and run them through a machine that tells me the proportion of oxygen isotopes and carbon isotopes. Because these chemicals are highly influenced by the type of vegetation animals eat we can try and use that to figure out what type of environment they were likely a part of! Feel free to ask any questions or pm if you like! :D

48 minutes ago, Flwr said:

Wow, thats very interesting! :) How old would you say the samples are? 

My samples are between 17 to 18 Million years old! They are the youngest of our project with the oldest site being 23 Million years 

Archived