"Aren't they also attracted to animals?"

SmilingHare

In my sociology class we were talking about different sexualities and one student didn't quite understand asexuality, so my teacher essentially explained that asexuals are not attracted to anyone. Then, someone else asked if they were also attracted to animals. My teacher said that that is bestiality and that she didn't think that it applied to asexuals. I don't think that changed his mind, because his reason for believing this was that he had heard some stories about someone's roommate-I don't know the details, we didn't pursue that thought any further.

I get a lot of people asking if I'm into animals when I first say I'm asexual...but that's because they have this base assumption that everyone's into something, so if I'm not into guys, and I'm not into girls, and I'm not into children...it must be animals? Its like they're going down a checklist. Those four are usually all they try before wrapping their heads around the idea that 'none' actually means 'none' instead of 'not the normal'. A few people have gone farther and its sometimes funny to see how desperate they are to pin down SOME kind of attraction, ANY kind. I've had 'anime', 'robots', 'plants' and 'cars' all show up in people's lists. 

This person sounds like a case of misinformation, and now they aren't willing to change their mind. Somehow, either the label of 'asexual' was applied to a furry or actual proponent of bestiality, OR an actual asexual was accused of bestiality and it stuck, OR there was an asexual furry and people made assumptions. Whatever the case, humans often stick strongly to the first information they encounter...'first impressions' and all that. People don't like to change their minds when new information comes around, so they continue with the assumptions made from the old information, deciding that new information is incorrect and refusing to reevaluate. Its sad, but all you can really do is correct those who are willing to learn new things, take solace in those who have correct information to begin with, and try very very hard not to BE one of the people who resolutely clings to the first thing you learn no matter what other evidence may emerge.

Frank Zappa once said there was more stupidity in the universe than hydrogen - and it was increasing. He was probably right. Is it possible one has to actually be asexual to fully understand it, much less acknowledge it even exists?

Lucas Monteiro
28 minutes ago, SmilingHare said:

I don't think that changed his mind, because his reason for believing this was that he had heard some stories about someone's roommate

If he believes in something just because of stories, then we can already guess how ignorant he can be.

And I agree @Scottthespy, people usually don't like to change their minds about new information, even more when this idea it's something that they are holding for too long, so it can be almost impossible or at least diffcult to make them change. Only those who are truly willing to admit to themselves that they can be wrong are the ones who are going to more likely adapt to the new concept and change of their previous thoughts.

Honestly just sounds like an idiot trying to be funny.

37 minutes ago, SmilingHare said:

Then, someone else asked if they were also attracted to animals. My teacher said that that is bestiality and that she didn't think that it applied to asexuals.

Even that isn't correct. The attraction is zoophillia, the act is beastiality.

NerotheReaper

Sounds like someone trying to be edgy or 'funny'. I have learned not to care what people think of me as a whole, and my asexuality. You can try educating people, but some people have stuck their fingers in their ears. No use in trying to argue with those people. 

Sorry that happened though 

10 minutes ago, Flower Boy said:

Even that isn't correct. The attraction is zoophillia, the act is beastiality.

To be fair to my teacher, she forgot the term-she's an older lady- and people suggested that. Then she said it was akin to that. Though, you are right about people assuming that sort of thing.

9 minutes ago, NerotheReaper said:

Sounds like someone trying to be edgy or 'funny'. I have learned not to care what people think of me as a whole, and my asexuality. You can try educating people, but some people have stuck their fingers in their ears. No use in trying to argue with those people. 

Sorry that happened though 

I typically don't mind what people think about me, it's mainly when it's towards a whole group of people-even when I'm not apart of said group. 

Tell him asexuals are sexually attracted to unicorns !!!! 😛😛😛 

Along with the topic of weird asexual myths.  Another person I know who is also ace is out to his friends, and they all like to make the joke about how he can cut off one of his limbs and it would just grow another version of himself. 

24 minutes ago, Blue_Wasabi said:

Along with the topic of weird asexual myths.  Another person I know who is also ace is out to his friends, and they all like to make the joke about how he can cut off one of his limbs and it would just grow another version of himself. 

That makes no sense whatsoever.:huh:

3 minutes ago, Zenzencat104 said:

That makes no sense whatsoever.:huh:

I know, I've once mentioned to one of them that I'm ace and he immediately went, "So you can make copies of yourself too." Test only thing I could do is look at the other guy and laugh at the stupidity of the joke. 

Alejandrogynous

I've gotten this before too, more often back when I was still learning how to explain asexuality to people. I used to say, 'I just don't feel that way about people,' to which the response would be, 'Oh, so animals then?' I quickly learned to adjust my phrasing so I don't set myself up for that so much anymore. Still, every now and then someone will try to be funny and it's like, hahh... no.

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
On 21.2.2018 at 8:57 PM, SmilingHare said:

In my sociology class we were talking about different sexualities and one student didn't quite understand asexuality, so my teacher essentially explained that asexuals are not attracted to anyone. Then, someone else asked if they were also attracted to animals. My teacher said that that is bestiality and that she didn't think that it applied to asexuals. I don't think that changed his mind, because his reason for believing this was that he had heard some stories about someone's roommate-I don't know the details, we didn't pursue that thought any further.

That's actually one of the most stupid and ridiculous questions I ever heard. This person should really learn how to use a serious paper or online dictionary or web lexicon to fill in the knowlegde gaps as soon as possible.

Don't take people's ignorance to heart. Asexuality is such an "unknown" sexuality - even I didn't learn about it until my late 20s...

My father used to link gay people with paedophiles, such was his misunderstanding of homosexuality. He is now fine with people of different persuasions because there has been an increase in information available to everybody in the past 15 years.

I have only shared my asexuality with a handful of people because I know they're relatively open-minded

There are friends of mine whose entire relevance is through their dicks, so I don't share anything with them.

I do not hold it against them. They are the way they are, as I am the way that I am.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Society has just conditioned people into thinking that sex is to be pursued at all costs, so I guess to someone with little comprehension, 'you have to be attracted to something'...

Believe me, as a Furry (someone who is interested in anthropomorphic animals in art & literature) I've heard the same accusation the student made in the example above many times before. Never thought it would be directed at being asexual though. :huh:

Janus the Fox
10 hours ago, Avian said:

Believe me, as a Furry (someone who is interested in anthropomorphic animals in art & literature) I've heard the same accusation the student made in the example above many times before. Never thought it would be directed at being asexual though. :huh:

Can do yeah, a few assume that yes, you're asexual for humans, so you have a sexual interest in animals, totally missing the point what being a furry/therian and asexual, figures how some conclude to the more strange.

I truthfully would not be surprised if there is a significant enough cross section of furries and asexuals for people to notice a pattern. But I am kind of surprised that it is even thought of as having a correlation to the general public at all. I also don't think all furries are  sexually interested in the figures they like,though a lot are, and I think a good chunk of them are only into the anthropomorphized figure, not animals.  Eh *shrugs *

3 hours ago, spazzticsoda said:

I truthfully would not be surprised if there is a significant enough cross section of furries and asexuals for people to notice a pattern. But I am kind of surprised that it is even thought of as having a correlation to the general public at all. I also don't think all furries are  sexually interested in the figures they like,though a lot are, and I think a good chunk of them are only into the anthropomorphized figure, not animals.  Eh *shrugs *

I'd say that's quite accurate. The fusion of an animal's colors, textures, and (frankly) cuteness with the beauty of the human form encapsulates what makes furry characters interesting and appealing to most fans (sexual or not).

Archived