Unlikely but an interesting idea - Interactive movies

NerotheReaper

Interactive movie?   

10 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in going to an interactive movie?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

NerotheReaper

I was thinking what would be cool was if movies were more interactive, like you the audience get a code with the ticket to be able to vote for choices in a movie. Such as in a horror movie, you and everyone else vote on your phones for the action to be taken. If 56% vote for the character to run instead of investigate the sound, that is what will happen. Majority wins. There would be multiple endings to the movie, and for when it comes out on DVD you could do this with friends and family. Obviously this is not a concept everyone would enjoy, that is okay! 

I know this is not realistic, it would be costly and Hollywood really likes to stick to one storyline in mind. (Probably easier to film too). 

I am curious how many of you would be interested in this concept, or what are your thoughts on this?

This has actually crossed my mind as well, like the choose your own path books.

Interesting concept - one of the old 'Choose Your Own Adventure' books but on the big screen / DVD / whatever smart media thing. 

A logistical and expensive nightmare for the makers, of course... but fun nonetheless! 

I can imagine that the vote-by-majority thing would be a giant troll-fest in the cinema. Plus a load of people complaining that there aren't enough / the correct choices available: 

"But if I were the character, I wouldn't investigate the sound or run away - I'd hide in a cupboard". 

"Says you! I'd stand my ground and beat whatever comes towards me with a chair leg!" 

"I'd go to the kitchen and bake a cake. Y'know, in case the monster is just hungry".

Isn't this pretty much a video game? As much fun as making choices in the movie might be, I feel like doing it on an audience scale would kind of ruin it...you might not get to see what you wanted to happen, and they'd either have to pause and flash 'vote for your choice now!' on the screen or people would have to be constantly paying attention to their phones to see when a vote was happening. It would kill the most important part of a move; the immersion. Nothing ruins a movie like loosing immersion.

Edit; I DID experience something sort of like this once...it was an on stage play at a festival of some sort. There were points when the action would pause and the main character would run to the front of the stage to ask the audience for help in deciding what to do, and we would scream out our choice. The loudest group won out...but each choice was a 'right' and 'wrong' situation, along a set path...it was a Hansel and Gretel retelling, so every one knew essentially what we SHOULD advise. It was played off for laughs, and the audience was mostly children of an appropriate age to enjoy nursery rhymes, and their parents. It worked well enough, especially the part where the 'wrong' choice was so funny the whole audience picked it again, and the character glared at us and accused us of being crazy. But there was immersion there because the character was talking directly to us, able to adjust. The fourth wall break made it so that we were PART of the show, which made the logical connect of how we could influence it. If you could make an interactive movie where the fourth wall break is a plot point, it might work. 

I really like this idea, I love games of a similar style.

• 2 weeks later...

My concern is that an invitation for people to take out their phones during a movie would be an invitation for them to stop following the movie.

I think it would be fun for movies like Jurassic World, where there's so many options and it's exploratory in nature.  The main problem I can see is people would get really noisy or not stay in their seats. 

Now, if it went straight to DVD with VR headsets, I can totally see doing that with family.  :)

Archived