I want to learn to dance, but I have no idea where to start;;

TheCatBehind

Hello there~

So, I’ve been wanting to do this for quite some time, but I literally have no idea on how to go about it.

I don’t know which style I want to try, I don’t know what shoes I should get (other than just sport shoes)...

I assume the clothes should be comfortable and I should be good with them getting soaking wet lol

So if anyone has some pointers, tips, tricks, suggestions, please share! Thank you~!

~:cake:~

What do you want to get out of doing dancing? 

For example if you want it to be more for exercise but learning moves i would suggest zumba. However if you want things more structured go for ballet. 

Use your friend and colleges: ask them if they do anything and they might have some good pointers on where to find the actual classes so you get going.

Hope that's useful

@Tintinfan I want to learn to move good instead of flailing about lol

When it comes rob structure, I don’t mind it, but ballet is so intimidating to me heh;;

I already asked some people, but they couldn’t give me straight answers;; And the colleges, well, once I’ll start moving into uni life I’ll check out haha

1 minute ago, Maks9090 said:

When it comes rob structure, I don’t mind it, but ballet is so intimidating to me heh;;

I already asked some people, but they couldn’t give me straight answers;; And the colleges, well, once I’ll start moving into uni life I’ll check out haha

When i did ballet it appeared to be quite french based...  urgh don't know why i stuck to it

@Tintinfan My friend who did some ballet said they at least have some strong legs lol

Thanks btw!

NerotheReaper

Taking a class can be a lot of fun, you can learn a lot more and make friends while doing it. Think of a style you are comfortable with, or that interests you. There is so many kinds of dance. Each has different energy levels, and might be harder to learn. Be open to all kinds of dance! 

6 hours ago, NerotheReaper said:

Taking a class can be a lot of fun, you can learn a lot more and make friends while doing it. Think of a style you are comfortable with, or that interests you. There is so many kinds of dance. Each has different energy levels, and might be harder to learn. Be open to all kinds of dance! 

I agree with this, especially the part about being open. If you're goal is to learn how to move and not flail *smile* then you may find you move well in hip-hop but flail in ballet which is why it's important to be open and flexible.

For places to start, I'm not sure your age but believe it or not a dance club is a great place to start. Many dancers who go to clubs to dance are usually open with showing someone some basic moves, etc. If that's not an option, try meet-up.com. They usually have dance groups that meet (like line-dancers or salsa dancers) that you might be able to get involved with. My oldest son is a dancer and he and his girlfriend are part of a group on Facebook (it's a private group) and post events for dance competitions and dance sessions hosted around the city. There may be some groups in your area that are not private that might offer what you're looking for and/or be able to point you in the right direction.

I did tap and jazz for 8 years growing up and a year of funk. Dancing is quiet fun and anyone can do it. Basically I'd start by listening to music and just moving around feel the beat so like step to the side and then tap your other foot to it or sway your hips just feel the music basically and boom your dancing :P. There are also alot of videos on the net teaching simple dance moves. Libraries also probably stock Dance work out dvds which also teach you dance moves you can easily do in the home. As for what to wear you can basically wear anything depending what you want to do. If your planning on saying step tapping then anything is fine, if you want to do something extremely fancy then clothing limitation might be needed. If your a fit or very active person then there is Zumba and I hear thats quiet fun and they teach you dance moves and classes are run around the world apparently. Welcome to hit me up if you like if you have any question or anything :)

@MissMidnight I do a lot of dancing to music when nobody is watching, but after a while it seems to look more like flailing than anything else;; haha~

I usually resent video tutorials for some reason, they never fail to make me feel dumb lol, but maybe I should give them another try...

When it comes to Zumba, I have a friend who enjoys it quite a bit and I’m probably gonna join them once I move out haha~

Thanks for the tips tho!

(From what I’ve seen you seem to be pretty cool in general, so maybe I’ll PM you out of the blue in like 2 months just to chat lol (of course you are welcome to do the same, but I’m in a weird space rn and idk how much time will pass between messages haha))

plasticapollos
On 2/21/2018 at 7:59 AM, Maks9090 said:

Maks!!! <3 DO IT! I am also a flailer, but I took the leap and took a jazz dance class this year. I feel like it's the easiest to get in to. It's not actually jazz, it's basically just contemporary dancing, like a mixture of ballet, modern dance, and hiphop. A lot of the time, community centers will have community dance classes, or dance companies around will offer noncompetitive dancing. It wooooould be easier if you were in uni but eh. One more year and it's almost over, yeah? :3 

In case you're wondering, a class would look like 1 hr 30. 30 minutes warm up (basically trying to get flexible), 30 minute "across the floor" where you are taught a technique and you just go back and forth trying to perfect it. And then 30 min choreo, that changes every couple classes, right around when everyone gets bored. It takes 4 classes basically and all the sudden you can put the across the floor stuff in to music.

I WISH I had started a while ago, you feel music in a whole new way. tbh it's made me better at concert band.

THIS IS A LONG PARAGRAPH TO TELL YOU TO DOITDOITDOITDOITDOITDOIT LEARNLEARNLEARN YOU CAN DO IT GO MAKS9090!!!! WOOOO!!!! 

54 minutes ago, plasticapollos said:

Maks!!! <3 DO IT! I am also a flailer, but I took the leap and took a jazz dance class this year. I feel like it's the easiest to get in to. It's not actually jazz, it's basically just contemporary dancing, like a mixture of ballet, modern dance, and hiphop. A lot of the time, community centers will have community dance classes, or dance companies around will offer noncompetitive dancing. It wooooould be easier if you were in uni but eh. One more year and it's almost over, yeah? :3 

In case you're wondering, a class would look like 1 hr 30. 30 minutes warm up (basically trying to get flexible), 30 minute "across the floor" where you are taught a technique and you just go back and forth trying to perfect it. And then 30 min choreo, that changes every couple classes, right around when everyone gets bored. It takes 4 classes basically and all the sudden you can put the across the floor stuff in to music.

I WISH I had started a while ago, you feel music in a whole new way. tbh it's made me better at concert band.

THIS IS A LONG PARAGRAPH TO TELL YOU TO DOITDOITDOITDOITDOITDOIT LEARNLEARNLEARN YOU CAN DO IT GO MAKS9090!!!! WOOOO!!!! 

I like your enthusiasm :D

Now that you mention jazz, I remember that it was the most appealing when I thought I’d manage to do it this year haha (fat chance) so maybe I will!

And thank you for telling me what such classes would look like!

I am definitely doing it soon enough!!!

Thank you :) im always up for a conversation, i dont really get out much so that would be awesome, well you can message me whenever youd like or are ready to no pressure :)

well if you dont want tutorial videos then maybe the exercise ones they dont make you feel so stupid when your doing something. You could also watch dance related movies or tv shows and pick up a few things from there. There would also be written guides somewhere but that seems like a really hard way to learn.

Have you looked into dance clubs? I mean actual clubs where the members learn specific or different types of dances? Here in the states we have a wide variety of clubs that offer dancing: square dancing, Hawai'ian hula, Irish clog dancing, swing/jitterbugging, line, tap, waltzing, you name it, there's probably a club for it. Is there anything like that in your area?

@fuzzipueo Clubs here often have a number of classes in a number of styles – that’s the problem for me! Everywhere there is too much choice!

On February 21, 2018 at 12:41 PM, Maks9090 said:

Hello there~

So, I’ve been wanting to do this for quite some time, but I literally have no idea on how to go about it.

I don’t know which style I want to try, I don’t know what shoes I should get (other than just sport shoes)...

I assume the clothes should be comfortable and I should be good with them getting soaking wet lol

So if anyone has some pointers, tips, tricks, suggestions, please share! Thank you~!

~:cake:~

I wouldn't worry too much about investing in dance shoes/clothes when you're just starting out. Best thing to do is to see what style you like first. Specialized dance shoes exist, and while I only really know about swing, I think the common thread is that they lack traction, making slides easier.

In the swing scene at least, a lot of dances will have lessons right at the beginning where you can have a chance to learn the basics before jumping in. Just try looking up local dance events and see if lessons are included or not. 

As far as clothes go, you should make sure they don't restrict your motion that much, but you don't have to necessarily put on exercise clothes or anything. In the swing scene at least, people often dress quite stylish/dapper. 

Big piece of advice is to wear really strong deodorant, because a lot of dancing is partnered, and the less noticeable your smell up close, the better. 

Guess I should say that I'm not really a dancer, but my sis really enjoys swing and blues, so she tells me a lot of this stuff and she sometimes has me try dancing so she can demonstrate different moves. I'm a touch awkward as a dancer, but that's my fault for not putting the effort in.

• 3 weeks later...
TheCatBehind

@MaybeIBelongSomewhere Oh my god Mibs I love you~~~~~~

Thank you for all the wonderful words of encouragement and more!!!! All the tips and just EVERYTHING!!!

I literally just danced to one of the fastest songs I enjoy, a nightcore edit of Everytime We Touch lol I did some stuff I previously did not even think of doing and I may be writing this with one foot in the grave BUT I’ve had fun and this gave me a confidence boost, so ‘tis all good lol

As to the recording myself... I might do it. Maybe. I don’t even take photos of myself, so it’s going to be hard videotaping myself, but I wanted to become more comfortable with myself; my body, my face, my movements, my voice; so I might start. I have a lot of time this summer as I have an entire additional month of free vacation~

And oh my god so much stuff to watch when I get the time~~~

THANK YOU SO MUCH MIBS I HOPE EVERYTHING IS FALLING INTO PLACE FOR YOU TOO OMG *big hugs!*

J. van Deijck

I only watched some video tutorials so far, but I had to give up on dancing because of my health problems, so I can't help much I guess. :(

TheCatBehind

@[noize:injekktion] We can cheer each other on! We both have enevours of artistic nature after all~ <3

I will make an ::announcement:: (lol) when I’m gonna start doing... stuff. I promise to update all of you if you will have me~

Archived