ADHD, OCD, Asexuality, Oh My!

AndanteCantabile

AndanteCantabile

(Yeah, sorry about the title. I couldn't resist.)

So here's the thing: I recently got diagnosed with ADHD, but I have untreated GAD and OCD. I'm on bupropion as an off-label med for ADHD, which makes my anxiety worse than usual, so stopping that and switching to Adderall makes me nervous. Among other things, I'm worried I'll wake up one day with a crazy libido. I read that males can get 4-hr erections from it, but I'm biologically female, so does that make me safe from that sort of extreme arousal? Can anyone who has experience with Adderall help me out here? I'm a happy ace with no libido and I'd like it to stay that way.

AndanteCantabile
2 hours ago, Jade Cross said:

Anti depressants such as bupropion generally cut out libido rather than spike it (although I dont discard the uncommon cases where effects like these occurr) and when you're switching from one to another (be very careful with that) the body needs time to adjust to the medication so arousal doesnt (generally) tend to happen.

Bupropion is an NDRI and thus usually does not affect or even increases libido. That hasn't happened to me at all, even on higher doses. It's the Adderall I'm worried about. 

I realize this might just be anxiety-driven rumination, but it's still something I'd appreciate if someone addressed. 

I have not noticed any increase in libido with Adderall, FWIW.

Fantastic Name

I've been on Adderal for a few years, and I haven't noticed any libido changes. In my experience, most of the side effects (dry mouth, weird heart rate, increased libido, etc.) tend to completely go away after a week or two while taking it.

You might not have the same experience, but I wouldn't stress about it. If you're ever find yourself uncomfortable while on it, there's no harm in telling your doctor about it so they can help you find a solution to it. That's their job, after all.

Archived