What We Look for in Ace Represenation- Brainstorm

Just a Mo

Hey y'all,

So I've got these two characters in one of my books that are ace, and in a queerplatonic relationship with each other. I really want to make their mutual asexuality a central part of their character development, so my open ended question is: what kinds of things do y'all either enjoy seeing or want to see in ace representation in fiction?

Do y'all like direct discussions and definitions like the ones in BoJack Horseman? Or are actions better than words? What about inside jokes from the ace community (for example talking about one or both of them having a deep love for cake or dragons)? Would it be good to show them attending ace events?

I know I have a list of elements I intend to include/would like to see in other media, but I'd love to hear from some of y'all about things that make for good representation. 

I like to see characters interacting with each other on a level you wouldn't see between friends. Private jokes and shared memories, comfortable moments that shows the various levels of a shared life. A mix of action and discussion is always nice.

I want to see characters that are sensual and not sexual, it annoys me how these are often compounded to no end.

Being enthralled by the senses is sensual, right now, I am having a life-changing sensual experience with my socks, they are the fluffiest things in the world.

Tomorrow I am going running at night, and I am likely to howl at the moon, just because.

There, nothing sexual about these, but still sensorial, engaging and life-affirming. Asexuals can feel deeply, intensely. I resent how characters are portrayed devoid of humanity, super-pragmatic, cool, rational, calculating. Ugh, meanwhile I just got back from a Lunar new year celebration and I cannot tell you the hinged emotional mess I became from being up close to the dancing lion, my heart rate went up from 65 to 98, Fitbit confirmed, tears came out from how happy I was from touching that furry gigantic head with bubbling eyes and LED lights, I am asexual and I feel all-the-things

12 hours ago, MollyMarie said:

Hey y'all,

So I've got these two characters in one of my books that are ace, and in a queerplatonic relationship with each other. I really want to make their mutual asexuality a central part of their character development, so my open ended question is: what kinds of things do y'all either enjoy seeing or want to see in ace representation in fiction?

Do y'all like direct discussions and definitions like the ones in BoJack Horseman? Or are actions better than words? What about inside jokes from the ace community (for example talking about one or both of them having a deep love for cake or dragons)? Would it be good to show them attending ace events?

I know I have a list of elements I intend to include/would like to see in other media, but I'd love to hear from some of y'all about things that make for good representation. 

A lot of people aren't sure what makes an asexual relationship different from a friendship. I would love to see an exploration of that and how two committed aces would be with each other and how they are with their friends.

With asexuality being so complex, a direct discussion about that confusion would be great. 

Archived