Thank you, Todd Chavez

Just a Mo

So everybody knows about Todd from BoJack Horseman, and a ton of people have talked about how they either discovered or came to terms with their asexuality because of Todd's coming out on the show. I had already been out  for almost a year by the time I sat down and watched BoJack Horseman, and thanks to a particularly supportive friend, I was really growing comfortable with my identity. So by the time I got around to the show, Todd's coming out really was just the icing on the asexual cake.

But Todd is particularly important to me is because I think my parents finally understand me, thanks to this show.  Coming out to my parents wasn't the worst thing, in fact it was pretty good all things considered. My parents were trying to be supportive, but they clearly didn't understand. It was far from hostile, but it always felt awkward. But when I watched BoJack Horseman and called them up in my excitement to tell them about a canon asexual character with good development and respectful, positive representation, they finally got it.

My parents haven't even seen the show, nor will they, but my excitement in telling them somehow made the point to them that my identity was something that, even if they didn't totally get, was important to me and made me really happy. I'd like to think that even if I had never watched that show, or had never told them about it, they would have come to understand asexuality eventually. But the fact is, Todd Chavez is the catalyst to my parents' understanding and acceptance of my identity. 

So, Todd, I know you're a fictional character created by Raphael Bob-Waksberg, but I just have to say thanks, for making my identity easier to explain.

• 2 months later...
RJtheRobot

Oh my gosh, Todd was so important to my ace journey. I had just started identifying as ace when season 3 came out, and I hadn't told anyone. As I was watching season three, I had to stop myself from thinking that he was going to turn out to be ace, because I didn't wan't to get my hopes up for nothing. But then he actually was it was just... so amazing. I loved his arc in season three so much because it felt so freaking true to what I'd just gone through.

I cried at the episode in season four where he comes out to BoJack. Like you said, he's fictional, but he's so important to me, and just such a wonderful depiction of asexuality.

Todd is my spirit animal, or I guess spirit human lol.

but the way he struggles to use the word asexual at first but when he did his inflections on his voice change and it was like a weight was lifted from him, that was so striking, it’s like when you want to tell someone somthing but your woried that somthing bad would happen if you use that label with stigmas (I’m honestly not sure why it’s so hard to use that word when telling people but I relate to that)

and the voice acting was just so honest and open In those senes.

Todd has been so important to me! Oh my god I thought it was kind of stupid and I thought I was the only one, but I'm really happy to see this thread! I got recomended the show by a friend when I talked about my feelings towards sex and I knew about there being a canon asexual character, but I didn't really think much about it until it became a huge deal in the show and I was like "wow I relate!" 

This is why visibility is important, it helps us become more accepted and more understood. I knew I was Ace before I saw Bojack and started to watch it because it had an asexual character in it (and fell in love with the show on its own merits), but Todd did help me become more comfortable with my own sexuality and I am happier for it. I just hope we will get more and more positive. good representation in future. 

Artsy Anvil

Watching Todd Chavez and his experiences with him coming to terms with his asexuality, helped me come to terms with my asexuality. He helped me validate myself, understand myself, and become myself. Because of that, he will always be my favorite character. Because, no other character has ever reached that level of connection and understanding within me.

I started watching bojack horseman around season three and fell in love with the show. I identified as asexual before long before watching it. My brother who I told that I was asexual recommended me the show back when it was still in season two. During season three I was internally screaming, because everything seemed like he was ace. I didn't want to get my hopes up cause really what were the chances they would actually be brave and bold enough to do it. Sure enough in season four I was crying from the episode when emily told todd he was asexual. I never realized how much I needed to see asexual representation till I did. I was hoping that because my brother watches bojack and he also watches nathan for you (which the recent season had an asexual representation cameo) he would change his non belief views on asexuality. Unfortunately, he hasn't...

It still dosen't diminish how important todd and bojack is for me though. One of my all time favorite shows with one of my all time favorite characters!

Strega_Asessuale

Todd is the only canon asexual character I've seen in Western media whose journey of accepting being asexual and learning about split attraction is shown. And it's done super well, too!

British soap Emmerdale have an asexual character but they messed it up by having her go to prison for something unrelated, so her asexual plot has taken a back seat from what I understand.  Shadowhunters apparently has an asexual character but I have never seen it s I do know how well that is handled. 

Archived