men fashion industry makes me sad

Shaun

Hey, I'm a small man. meaning, I'm a 5'4" female that wears masculine clothing, and commonly finding myself drifting towards the men section of a store, although only the small clothes because...*cough*.

What I'd really like is a company that makes clothes that is open to a wider range of sizes. Maybe it's a company that specializes in masculine clothes, (most specifically suits b/c that's what I'm having the hardest time finding), and makes sizes that allows smaller men, and women to wear them with an attractive, proper fit.

Could use good (preferably cheapish) suggestions with 28"-29" inseams and x small options. Yeah.

Those monthly boxes that send you clothes are cool as well, but unfortunately, a lot of them don't give an option for my size, which sucks.

Also, if anyone knows good places for small dress shoes—I'd love a pair of oxfords—that'd be cool. I'm a size 5 in mens. I could wear women's, but the problem is the women's style is sometimes more feminine than I would like. The women's clothes are styled differently to accentuate things like breasts, hips, waist, *cough* butt, mostly things that the fashion world thinks are desirable or aesthetic about women, but I don't like those.

(Next time I go to China, to visit my family, I'm thinking about finding a place to get a suit tailored. I'm not too small among chinese, and they might have things in my size range, and would probs be cheaper than in America)

I'm 5'3 and wear 26"-28" waist, prefer 30" inseams. Inseam length is pretty easy to tailor yourself though. Look into hemming pants.

For men's shoes, try looking in the children's section for those sizes. They'll likely be cheaper too. I still have some "women's" formal shoes that are plenty androgynous enough to function just fine though. Most people just assume they're men's loafers.

For suits, look into Braverman. I've gotten a few of there's off of Groupon for pretty reasonable. Only complaint is that the pants sizes run too small relative to the waistcoat/jacket. If you get their tuxedos, the pants should have enough elastic to make them at least possible to wear though.

I also bought a children's suit that works well enough. It's a bit boxy compared to my Braverman ones, but it was also like 1/4 the price of the adult version of the same outfit.

I'm in the same boat as you, 5'3" and clothes shopping is always... An adventure. Casual clothes aren't a big deal; I wear boy's size 16 pants and shirts, which are available at thrift stores in abundance as most boys quickly outgrow  them. Finding formal clothes and shoes is a lot more challenging. I recently had to buy a new suit for a wedding, and found to my surprise that Men's Wearhouse had several in that size.

Amazon? :)

Lots of sellers with XS at least.

If that's not small enough, check for clothes in Asian sizes. The regular mapping there is Asian (X)L = American S, so their M or S might fit.

Considering how large the teen market is - wouldn't kids clothes also have a huge selection in smaller sizes?

Archived