acesk8r

Hey Ainslie

Welcome to AVEN! I hope you enjoy yourself around here (:

You're a figure skater!? That's so amazing! I'm so envious. I can't skate to save my life but I'm obsessed with watching it.

Um... I can't quite think of any music choices off the top of my head right now but in regards to costume choice I think the first dress would be amazing! It has all the asexual colours - the navy in the second one may give off Bi vibes...? Nothing wrong with that though (:

Best of luck! I'll drop by again if I can think of any music choices. What sort of music genre are you after? Upbeat tempo or something slower?

girlwiththelongskirt

Hey Ainslie,

I think it's a great idea! It's so cool you're so proud of who you are and that you feel comfortable enough in your environment to do this. I think it is really really cool! I love both dresses a lot so I can't pick my favorite but I might know a song you could skate on. It's a bit 'in your face' and I'm not sure how easy it is to dance on it, but I do like the song a lot and it's very ace. If I find another song I will let you know.

Good luck and I would love to see your perfomance!

Charlotte

1 hour ago, ainslietalbot said:

...This year for one of my programs I want to do something that shows people that I am not ashamed of who I am and that we should all accept people for who they are....

:) Hi! Wow, that's impressive! I wish I could skate at that level. I wish I could perform to Birdy's "People, Help The People," but since I can't, I wouldn't mind seeing another skater perform it, instead.

It has a mix of both instrumental and lyrics. Also, I think she was 16 when she recorded the song.

(Link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmLNs6zQIHo )

Good luck on your skating competition!

42 minutes ago, Gldlynch said:

Hey Ainslie

Welcome to AVEN! I hope you enjoy yourself around here (:

You're a figure skater!? That's so amazing! I'm so envious. I can't skate to save my life but I'm obsessed with watching it.

Um... I can't quite think of any music choices off the top of my head right now but in regards to costume choice I think the first dress would be amazing! It has all the asexual colours - the navy in the second one may give off Bi vibes...? Nothing wrong with that though (:

Best of luck! I'll drop by again if I can think of any music choices. What sort of music genre are you after? Upbeat tempo or something slower?

I was thinking that of the second dress but it was still an option, but I'll probably go with the first one! 

For the music genre I don't really have a preference so that doesn't really help, sorry.

41 minutes ago, Char-lotte99 said:

Hey Ainslie,

I think it's a great idea! It's so cool you're so proud of who you are and that you feel comfortable enough in your environment to do this. I think it is really really cool! I love both dresses a lot so I can't pick my favorite but I might know a song you could skate on. It's a bit 'in your face' and I'm not sure how easy it is to dance on it, but I do like the song a lot and it's very ace. If I find another song I will let you know.

Good luck and I would love to see your perfomance!

Charlotte

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll take it into consideration with my coach and hopefully we can come to a decision, thanks for your support and let me know if you have any other ideas!

~Ainslie

17 minutes ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

:) Hi! Wow, that's impressive! I wish I could skate at that level. I wish I could perform to Birdy's "People, Help The People," but since I can't, I wouldn't mind seeing other skaters perform it, instead.

It has a mix of both instrumental and lyrics. Also, I think she was 16 when she recorded the song.

(Link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmLNs6zQIHo )

Good luck on your skating competition!

That's a really lovely song, I'll definitely take that one up with my coach and see what we will do.

Thank you!

~ Ainslie

Hello! :cake:

You are only two years older than my little cousin who is also close to be a national figure skater! She only needs to acquire Swedish citizenship which is really close to happen. Unfortunately, I can't think of any music, but I hope to see you both at the Olympics soon ~

Tasha the demi squirrel

I think it's awesome that you are using your talent to show pride and help others know they can be proud to as for the song I think the suggestion of a okay is perfect but ultimately it's your choice 

everywhere and nowhere

I dson't think that "A-Okay" combines well with figure skating. Too upbeat and not very melodious. It's a fun song, but it wouldn't work as accompaniament for skating.

For song choice, I’d like to throw out there that the singer of Deerhunter identifies as asexual.

I like the first dress better... and I wish I could skate but never got the chance to learn...

some songs that I found on the internet. not sure if any will work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEI91FYg490

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCJxKlyrR_s

you could use a dear Even Hanson song some of them might work (plus I just really like the songs)

I figure skate too!!! I've been skating for about 7 or 8 months and I'm currently at a Delta level. I love the sport so much. I would have to say the second dress is my personal favorite. I also saw someone mentioned A-okay as a song. While I'm in love with that song I'm not sure if it matches with typical skating music or the tone of the dresses you picked. If you were wanting to use it in comp you just might want to think about judges. Good luck though thats awesome you want to incorporate that into skating. 

everywhere and nowhere
21 hours ago, HayBails said:

I also saw someone mentioned A-okay as a song. While I'm in love with that song I'm not sure if it matches with typical skating music or the tone of the dresses you picked.

Well, it definitely doesn't, that's what I meant in a previous comment. However, I find the idea interesting. I'll never be an athlete - I have always been a person with a low level of general fitness, even at the age of 3 I was already visibly less fit than most other children - but I sometimes have fantasies about a strong, even aggressive message against compulsory sexuality and compulsory attractiveness, especially in strongly sexualized sports. For example I fantasized about going onto the arena in tight pants with the words "HANDS OFF OUR BODIES!" running down the legs.

I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT THERE IS NO FEMALE ATHLETE WHO FINDS THESE SKIMPY CLOTHES UNCOMFORTABLE AND INACCEPTABLE.

Hi Ainslie. It's great to meet another ace Australian figure skater. I live in NSW, but I really hope to see you skate this program at Nationals!

11 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT THERE IS NO FEMALE ATHLETE WHO FINDS THESE SKIMPY CLOTHES UNCOMFORTABLE AND INACCEPTABLE.

I can't speak for other figure skaters, but for me the performance exists in a seperate world. I'd never be comfortable wearing anything even close to one of my costumes in public. I'd never want to expose that much of my body. However, in performance, you're not exposing your body. You're exposing your athleticism and expresing the music. Figure skating requires absolute control of the entire body, and that's what the costumes are designed to show off. 

They are uncomfortable as hell, but so's falling, so you just grin and bear it or find an easier sport. 

In terms of a song, maybe like Independent Women, and in terms of the outfit, I really like the second one 

everywhere and nowhere
15 hours ago, Abaculus said:

I can't speak for other figure skaters, but for me the performance exists in a seperate world. I'd never be comfortable wearing anything even close to one of my costumes in public. I'd never want to expose that much of my body. However, in performance, you're not exposing your body. You're exposing your athleticism and expresing the music. Figure skating requires absolute control of the entire body, and that's what the costumes are designed to show off. 

They are uncomfortable as hell, but so's falling, so you just grin and bear it or find an easier sport. 

I wasn't really taking that much about figure skating costumes I always admired them, even though for me anything between the knee and collarbone is "unexposable" (and actually, I even avoid showing my lower legs because I'm ashamed of my varicose veins being visible. I only sometimes make an exception and show the bottom half so that I can shock some people with my unshaved legs and muscles. :) [lower leg circumference: 45 cm, I think the female average is believed to be about 38]). There are worse examples in sport. In athletics women once wore short pants and T-shirts, now they wear bikini tops and something which can't even be called shorts; for God's sake, my PANTIES cover more than that! I am sincerely unable to believe that it doesn't bother anybody. I just couldn't, I would feel naked in something like that. Compare it to men's overalls without sleeves and with legs covered down to the knees. Not to mention beach volleyball, this example is just shocking... I don't think there is any substantial explanation for this, I believe it's only because "sex sells" and beause women "have to" be taught that they are only their bodies and they "have to" learn to sell them.

I just commented in another topic on coming out as ace and you know what? This whole horrible knot is why I feel an inner obligation to be out as ace. All this situation, this traffic in women's bodies, this compulsory sexuality disgusts me so much that I couldn't live without making it clear that I don't and won't participate in it.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all so much for your support and suggestions! I'm not completely sure what I'm doing yet but 'You Will Be Found' was the one that I found most emotional and personal so I may go with that one!

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Welcome @ainslietalbot, fantastic to have a figure skater here, especially after the recent winter Olympics , with all that style and beauty on show. Can't give music suggestions (I am what I am is more associated with the gay community, so my only suggestion wouldn't work!).

However, keep us posted and if you can show the 'final cut' , all the better. Good luck in the championships!:D:cake:

Tasha the demi squirrel
6 hours ago, chandrakirti said:

if you can show the 'final cut' , all the better. Good luck in the championships!

Yes would love to see a video of your performance if possible either way good luck

Archived