Celebrity Crushes

WinterBlue

I’ve never understood the point of celebrity crushes. How are you supposed to be attracted to someone you’ve never even had a conversation with much less met in person. Is anyone else in the same boat here?

Has anyone had a celebrity crush? Why did you feel that way?

Share your thoughts! ^_^

AncientAmateur

I remember in high school, my friends wouldn't believe that i didn't fantasise about celebrities (& in my little innocent mind, I didn't even connect fantasies to sex haha)

confused lil bee
On 2/20/2018 at 3:40 PM, WinterBlue said:

How are you supposed to be attracted to someone you’ve never even had a conversation with much less met in person.

Haha I guess you're right about that. There's a thing called parasocial interaction where because of the nature of celebrities lives being on show it feels like you 'know' them though they don't know you. Like a one way relationship. I feel like this may have something to do with it.

Yeah, I mean, there are some people, I am a huge fan of. People whom, I would love to meet in person and have a conversation with, but I've never seen any of them in a sexual way.

Hey WinterBlue

I agree, I've never understood how people play f*ck, kill and marry so genuinely. If I every develop a celebrity crush, it's usually a platonic attraction (I want to become their friend) or an aesthetic attraction (I find them good-looking). When I was younger I would note down my celebrity crushes with why I liked them, it usually consisted of a list labelled talent; personality; looks. This was the most un-sexual thing ever, I can't believe it took me this long to discover my asexuality.

Are there celebrities who I think are attractive? Yes. Do they also seem like cool people? Some of them. Do I have crushes on them? Not really no, because as others have said I don't know them.

From my perspective (as a sexual person), a celebrity crush is 1) i really physically fancy that woman 2) I really think she seems like an amazing person having seen her on tv interviews 3) She is so talented at what she does or 4) a combination of all of the above.

Do I honestly want to marry Rhianna? Not really. Do admire her talent and her body? Absolutely.

To me, it's easy to get crushes on celebrities because we don't know anything about them personally and can project whatever ideals we want onto their pretty exteriors.  They're basically fictional characters.  

Galactic Turtle

I don't know about crushes but I think it's easy to admire or be a fan of someone you don't know personally simply by how they carry themselves, what they do, and what their accomplishments are. I used to think that's what people meant when they said they have a "celebrity crush." Then I realized people actually wanted to marry these folks and I was like "oh, well, sorry that ain't gonna happen." :P Still, a celebrity might as well be a fictional character. In your mind they can be however you imagine them to be so... in that respect I can see how crushes can easily be formed and maintained.

I just hate it when a celebrity loses the support of their fans because they decide to date or marry. It's really saddening like... were you only there to support when your own personal fantasy could be maintained? Smh...

Given that people here squish on fellow AVENistes who they have never met IRL, I don't see anything surprising in having a crush on someone who you are only aware of through media. 

If someone is aesthetically attractive, talented (maybe successful) then I'd say its natural behaviour 

There is a lot of aesthetic attraction towards celebrities for me, and sometimes also where I want to get to know them, based on how they look (do they look nice, interesting,...) and also how they act in interviews, their views and opinions,... And since you don't know them, there is also the possibility to fantasize how they might be as a person.

And I guess, if you're sexual, you can be sexually attracted to them even without knowing them...

You know what I’m considering? I have a theory that Camila Cabello could be ace. She’s never openly told her sexuality, and her views on love and sex and relationships are super agreeable to me. Also, you know the whole “Camren” thing? Well, Lauren has referred to Camila as a dragon in the past, and when Lauren wore her pride flag for a performance, Camila wore a unicorn onesie...am I crazy?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2018 at 3:25 PM, MyOwnMercury said:

You know what I’m considering? I have a theory that Camila Cabello could be ace. She’s never openly told her sexuality, and her views on love and sex and relationships are super agreeable to me. Also, you know the whole “Camren” thing? Well, Lauren has referred to Camila as a dragon in the past, and when Lauren wore her pride flag for a performance, Camila wore a unicorn onesie...am I crazy?

I don’t think you’re crazy and although I used to be a hardcore camren shipper none of us will ever know if camren was or still is real. As for Camila’s sexuality, I know she is an active supporter of the LGBT+ community but like you said she has never mentioned anything about her own orientation. It seems that there is evidence that suggests she might be interested in girls, either romantically, sexually, or both. As far as I’m aware there’s none to suggest that she could be asexual. I guess we will never know unless she tells us.

• 1 month later...

I am likewise mystified. Celebrity crushes make little sense to me. I'm surprised that people would spend enough time thinking about celebrities to develop romantic attraction.

I totally get celebrity crushes! Given the opportunity, I would never ever act on any of them (or probably even talk to them), but I will totally watch every interview with them/watch all their movies/tv shows/etc.. For example, I wouldn't want to date her, but I have a massive crush/squish on Evan Rachel Wood (especially on Westworld). She's just so pretty, ugh!

here_on_the_morrow
On 2/20/2018 at 2:53 AM, James121 said:

From my perspective (as a sexual person), a celebrity crush is 1) i really physically fancy that woman 2) I really think she seems like an amazing person having seen her on tv interviews 3) She is so talented at what she does or 4) a combination of all of the above.

Do I honestly want to marry Rhianna? Not really. Do admire her talent and her body? Absolutely.

I'm ace and i feel this way exactly, except 1 would be i find them aesthetically attractive. This is what i mean when i say i have a crush on someone famous. 

That said, i have a mad celebrity crush on Janeane Garofalo. Ace crush!

Salmiakki

It’s always been so easy and natural for me to develop actual romantic feelings for celebrities. About half of all the crushes I’ve had were celebrities. I love celebrity crushes because it’s like the perfect fairy tale inside my head. I love to watch them, it makes my heart race and me smile like an idiot, I love the feeling I get. I can stare at them as long and hard as I want without bothering them or making them annoyed. I like the fact that they are far away. I just love to dream about them. Celebrity crushes are for me as valid and real as “real life” crushes, same with crushes on fictional characters. The way I feel about all my crushes doesn’t depend on who the crush is on, they’re all real romantic feelings.

I feel like I just have this unrealistic image of a perfect person and a perfect relationship inside my head that no actual relationship or person can live up to. I don’t even desire actual relationships so celebrities are perfect since I don’t even know them in real life, it's not reality. Maybe I just need to grow up but I don’t really want to :lol:

I hardly ever get celebrity crushes. Once I was obsessed with a band, but it was different from most people's crushes, because I wasn't attracted to their looks and didn't listen to all their songs or learn all about them. I was just obsessed with them in an anxiety-provoking way.

I get crushes on the characters celebrities play more often than I get them on actual celebrities.

When I’m obsessing about a celebrity, I actually want to *be* (more like) the person (rather than wanting to have sex with/marry them).  I did this all. the. time. as a teen and young adult (and a not-so-young one, honestly).  It wasn’t until much later on that I learned my friends and I weren’t going gaga over people for the same reasons at all.:lol:

• 4 months later...
On 5/7/2018 at 10:06 PM, ryn2 said:

I get crushes on the characters celebrities play more often than I get them on actual celebrities.

When I’m obsessing about a celebrity, I actually want to *be* (more like) the person (rather than wanting to have sex with/marry them).  I did this all. the. time. as a teen and young adult (and a not-so-young one, honestly).  It wasn’t until much later on that I learned my friends and I weren’t going gaga over people for the same reasons at all.:lol:

The thing about wanting to be like the celebrity you’re obsessed with is so relatable. 

Fluffy Femme Guy

I don't have celebrity crushes, but I do sometimes think it would be nice to hang out with certain celebs, just as casual friends.

I never had a celebrity crush. The closest I came to were celebrities who played the smart/nerdy character in shows I'd watch as a kid and I would think 'wow we'd be great friends and have cool adventures!' But I never paid much attention to celebrities anyways so meh

An_Ace_Of_Hearts

Never really had a celebrity crush, unless me finding a celebrity kind of attractive counts .-.(?)

I never really "fangirl" over or take much interest in any celebrities either.

It just seems like a waste of time, crushing on someone you likely will never meet, but that's just my opinion .3.

It depends on whether you enjoy the fangirling/fanboying/crushing on its own merits or only see a crush as a way to something more, I suppose.  In the first case it’s basically just a hobby like obsessing over games or social media or cars.

The former is broader... one can be fannish over celebrities but also characters, works of art (any media), games, inanimate objects, sports, etc.

Archived