Binge watching suggestions?

Lia

I just finished Gossip Girl and I'm looking for similar. Teen trash soap opera type stuff. I've already watched PLL, and as a 90's kid I've gorged myself on BH: 90210 (the original), Dawson's Creek, Melrose Place, and the like. I'd like something complete (so not still airing episodes), and 3+ seasons. I'm open to other suggestions, too. Stuff I've watched in the past, or that I currently DVR:

Supergirl

Smallville

Suits

The Good Doctor

NCIS

SVU

HTGAWM

Glee

Big Bang Theory

The Good Place

The Handmaid's Tale

PLL

Switched at Birth

I'd prefer no more superhero universe type shows. I have ER on my watchlist, too. How's The Vampire Diaries? Also, not interested in shows like Pars & Rec, and The Office. Not sure I'd be willing to watch Friends, either? But I know it's popular so... 

Riverdale! The first season is on Netflix, and the second is live on tv on the CW. If you liked Pretty Little Liars, you'll probably like this. :) 

Have you tried Merlin? It's still on Netflix and is definitely finished. 5 series.

Mrs. Fisher's Murder Mysteries is a wonderful series set in 1920s Melbourne, Australia. 3 series.

Charmed soap opera + magic.

This made me realize how much of the stuff I love is either still airing or was only a season or two, or then there's stuff like Grey's Anatomy which would totally qualify if it wasn't the never-ending series. :P But let's see out of the completed longer stuff:

Teen Dramas:

The Lying Game & Starcrossed (these two are the only ones that are shorter than 3 seasons on the list).

Secret Life of the American Teenager

The Fosters (this one's about to end within the next few weeks I think.)

I haven't seen the next three but have the first two as ones I need to at least check out:

Vampire Diaries

One Tree Hill; I've heard this one was popular but I haven't gotten to that series yet.

Degrassi ? (Fits the genre but I haven't seen it)

Dramas:

The Good Wife*

Reign*
Downton Abbey*

TURN: Washington's Spies

Sci-fi Dramas, sort of:

Orphan Black*

Person of Interest (sci-fi, drama, and crime)

More Crime/NCIS like:

The Closer + Major Crimes (series plus series spin off, each more than 3 seasons)
Prison Break

Lie To Me

White Collar

Taboo 

Firefly

The Wire

Deadwood (they never finished the series but are making a movie apparently!)

Those are legitimately some of the best TV series ever made, and Taboo has a higher production quality than most movies I have seen (let alone TV series).

I know you said 'teen trash' stuff, but you included Handmaid's Tale in your original list. While that's crap (the book is AMAZING though) it's 'darker' like these shows are so maybe you'd enjoy them. 

Somewhere, perennial reruns of Buffy: The Vampire Slayer are being played. Also recommend Angel.

I second Firefly too. Shiny. Also, the movie Serenity.

Babylon-5 is beautiful 1990s science fiction.

Harder to find but: Highlander (series based off the movies with Adrien Paul) and Toronto's finest are aided by the vampire Nick Knight in Forever Knght.

5 hours ago, fuzzipueo said:

... Highlander (series based off the movies with Adrien Paul) ...

I loved the old Highlander movies, the ones with Christopher Lambert. I don't know the series.

Thanks all :) Some of these I won't watch for various reasons (uninterested or have attempted to watch in the past) but I'll look at others :)

1 hour ago, Thea2 said:

I loved the old Highlander movies, the ones with Christopher Lambert. I don't know the series.

The TV series came out in the 90s and followed Duncan McLeod, Connor's cousin. Typical 90s fare, but an interesting cast of characters. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highlander:_The_Series

purpleandgreylife

Have you heard of the show Skins (UK)? It focuses on teenagers in "college" in the UK which is the same as being a junior and senior in high school in the US. It has a really good cast of characters and excellent actors.

I also just finished binge watching the Bring It On movies (except for the 2017 one). Those were each pretty good, if not a bit predictable, but it follows a formula that works for the type of movie that it is.

I was going to recommend the Vampire Diaries. :lol:Not my usual cup of tea but I loved it, and if you like the teenage soap opera-y stuff plus vampires and werewolves, you'll enjoy it. :lol:

FinneganCatch

I highly recommend Firefly as well! Even though it only has the one season I think everyone should at least try it.

Person of Interest is good, I'm watching MacGyver right now but its only on the second season and ongoing so it doesn't really fit.

Have you watched The OC? it was a favorite as far as teen dramas go, haven't watched it recently but it is finished and has 4 seasons. Also the Gilmore Girls which has 7 seasons plus a newer Netflix special.

On 2/22/2018 at 3:24 PM, FinneganCatch said:

I highly recommend Firefly as well! Even though it only has the one season I think everyone should at least try it.

Person of Interest is good, I'm watching MacGyver right now but its only on the second season and ongoing so it doesn't really fit.

Have you watched The OC? it was a favorite as far as teen dramas go, haven't watched it recently but it is finished and has 4 seasons. Also the Gilmore Girls which has 7 seasons plus a newer Netflix special.

Original McGyver is out there, in all its 80s cheesy glory.

I have good news if .Lia is still interested. Slings and Arrows is available on the Tube of You!

Here's a list of some of the complete Tv Shows I didnt mind watching that have more than 3 seasons that I can remember :)

The OC

Teen Wolf

Sanctuary

Grimm

The Vampire Diairies

Lost Girl

Merlin

Gilmore Girls

Once Upon A time - Its technically still going but what is being made now is more like a spin off as its set when the child in the show has his own child now.

Ghost Whisperer

Veronica Mars

Prison Break

Trublood

Lost

On 2/20/2018 at 6:07 PM, Working For It said:

"The Good Place" really keeps you on your toes. I finished season 1 in a night. 

I'm already watching it but I still don't want unfinished series.

On 2/21/2018 at 9:26 AM, Chimeric said:

I was going to recommend the Vampire Diaries. :lol:Not my usual cup of tea but I loved it, and if you like the teenage soap opera-y stuff plus vampires and werewolves, you'll enjoy it. :lol:

I'm going to keep it on my watch list, but when I went to pick something out last night I decided I didn't want the main description of the series to include "love triangle". 

On 2/22/2018 at 5:24 PM, FinneganCatch said:

I haven't watched The OC but I'll look into it. I have no interest in Gilmore Girls. The series itself gives me the ooglies for many reasons, most of them for body image and such. I'll check out Person of Interest, though :)

On 2/23/2018 at 11:11 PM, fuzzipueo said:

Original McGyver is out there, in all its 80s cheesy glory.

I have good news if .Lia is still interested. Slings and Arrows is available on the Tube of You!

I'll look up the description of that series, thanks :)

5 hours ago, MissMidnight said:

Here's a list of some of the complete Tv Shows I didnt mind watching that have more than 3 seasons that I can remember :)

The OC

Teen Wolf

Sanctuary

Grimm

The Vampire Diairies

Lost Girl

Merlin

Gilmore Girls

Once Upon A time - Its technically still going but what is being made now is more like a spin off as its set when the child in the show has his own child now.

Ghost Whisperer

Veronica Mars

Prison Break

Trublood

Lost

Thanks! I'll check out some of these, too :)

The Get Down isn't really what I would call a teen drama but it does have teens and it is drama. It's tbh one of my favorite shows on Netflix. Also got some good good LGBT+ rep!

• 3 weeks later...

Try Skam. It's in norvegian but it's a masterpiece and definitely worth watching

Archived