How can I get people to address me by chosen name ?

arekathevampyre

arekathevampyre

I dislike my real name and changing it is not really an option now (as it will complicate lots of things) . But I really want to be addressed by my chosen name that I feel comfortable with . 

So far , I have used this name to interact and introduce myself with people here on AVEN and sometimes my buyers/sellers from online stores . 

And my emails are all using this name . My aunt addressed me as my chosen name in one of the emails she sent to me . That was it . 

So what should I do to encourage people to call me by the new name ?

It’s harder for people that already know you to accept the change. I have the same problem with my name sometimes. Gently reminding them to use your chosen name seems the best way, imo. With new people, just use your your chosen name and there should be no issue.

You could even send a letter to people you know letting them know of your name change. Likely, some people will always refuse to use it and others will occasionally slip up and use the old one but that’s just the way things are.

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief
1 minute ago, arekathevampyre said:

I dislike my real name and changing it is not really an option now (as it will complicate lots of things) . But I really want to be addressed by my chosen name that I feel comfortable with . 

So far , I have used this name to interact and introduce myself with people here on AVEN and sometimes my buyers/sellers from online stores . 

And my emails are all using this name . My aunt addressed me as my chosen name in one of the emails she sent to me . That was it . 

So what should I do to encourage people to call me by the new name ?

If you're on facebook a lot, you can have a second name appear on your profile by setting it as an alternative spelling and can set it as a nickname in chats. But it sounds like you've done stuff like this :lol: I only started using mine recently, and must admit that while it is gender neutral, if I hear the woman who's been shitty in my department use it for me it'll instantly feel too feminine. Also introduce yourself using it in places where there are lots of strangers, I did that at a protest on Sunday.

sticker,375x360-bg,ffffff.u5.png

?

Or, my personal favorite, simply don't respond to any other name. Birth name Jim and you want someone to call you Julie? Don't reply to anything but Julie. Sooner or later, they'll get the hint.

arekathevampyre
2 minutes ago, .Lia said:

sticker,375x360-bg,ffffff.u5.png

?

Or, my personal favorite, simply don't respond to any other name. Birth name Jim and you want someone to call you Julie? Don't reply to anything but Julie. Sooner or later, they'll get the hint.

Good advice !! Thanks !! :)

it's quite difficult and complex at times, because things people don't understand and are different will view in a bad way, even if it may be a beautiful thing. gentle reminders here and there are alright and good for slip or messes ups. if someone does it on purpose though, approach the situation with a calm and respectful mindset, but let them know and be honest, not brutal on where you stand. some people are just bound to not accept, and there's nothing we can do about that, all we can do is take that experience and make the best out of it, by accepting and loving ourselves even more, because there is some people bound to accept and love overtime. hopefully, that does happen and they do support and still love you for it. i'd say start referring to yourself as that name, and people will most likely catch on that you prefer and would be loved to be called that. if you meet new people, just say the name you'd prefer and love them to know and address you as. in the end of it all, it's your own choice and decision on what you'd like to do, you're your own person, and you're allowed to do whatever you're comfortable with. <3

Archived