What does libido feel like?

RoseGoesToYale

RoseGoesToYale

I keep reading descriptions of how people describe libido... an itch, or like you have to go but worse, or a funny sensation that doesn't go away until it's attended to. I think I'm missing something here. Is the feeling different for everyone? If it's like having to go to the bathroom really bad, I don't think I've ever had a moment like "If I don't take care of this now, I'm gonna explode!" It's more like "I'm bored, and it's just something to do..." I feel like I've felt that drive for sensual stuff, but now I'm not sure I ever had a libido. Is it possible to have one and be unaware of it?

Its sort of like hunger to me. I can ignore it and it may diminish for awhile but I will never eliminate it entirely. Eating meals at certain times gets to be a regular habit. This seems to translate into coffee and the morning orgasm as far as my libido is concerned. I've noticed however that as I age it is becoming more habit than urge. Still it remains despite diminishing returns.

Ase of Spades

I don't have much of a libido; it only really acts up when I get my period. The only way I can think to describe it is like a strong yearning to be touched down there, like a physical aching. Personally, I find it a bit of a nuisance and an inconvenience, though I won't lie: Tending to the yearning feels really good even if I'd rather not have to deal with it. I can usually ignore it if I really want to (Or if I'm somewhere I can't do anything about it), and there's even times I'll try to get it going just because I'm bored and want to do something that feels good until I can think of something actually productive to do.

Fantastic Name

For me, libido is like this background noise that I can't shut off. It's something there that's always whining and begging me for attention. It's constant. I can ignore it most of the time (except for when I'm near my period and things get all screwed up), but it does get on my nerves after a while. What I do with it can feel really, really good, but otherwise it's a nuisance. I think the best way to describe it is that it's like this weird hunger centered in my genitals.

I say "hunger" because my libido tends to fluctuate just like regular hunger does. Sometimes I'm hungry, sometimes I'm not. Sometimes, it comes in the form of "Well, I'm bored... Might as well do it, I guess." Other times, it's a sudden impulse: "You know what would feel really good right now? Touching yourself, that's what." And, every once in a while, I do get the occasional "OH MY GOD I'M GONNA EXPLODE" where it gets really uncomfortable or painful if I try to ignore it, but that only happens once every six months or so.

I don't know about other people, but my libido's never been something I haven't noticed. I remember being thirteen and knowing I was feeling some kind of sex drive. In my experience, it's just one of those things that if you had it, you'd know it. Can't speak for everybody, though.

I don't have it, and one day I was asked some questions about sexuality (I had a fight with that person over the existence of 'Ace') I came across the word 'libido' for the first time. It was damn shocking that there is such a thing exists, and many people have to deal with it. It kinda grossed me out, and  I still can't get it - quite likely I will never get it, becuase it is not 'built in' my brain anyway.

Libido for me happens about 3 times a year. I suppose the best way I can describe it is like there is a string attached to the place between my legs, but deep within me, not just on the surface. It's like someone pulls down on it in a way that feels really good which makes me want that string pulled more.

I have exactly zero urge for partnered sex, and it doesn't feel like that want for the "string to be pulled" could be satisfied by, frankly, anything physical. Instead, I read or write stuff that gives me that "pull" feeling and that satisfies it. I can also ignore it and it'll go away, anywhere between a few minutes and a few hours depending on how strong it is. BTW, if you're at all curious, that's why I roll with asexuality, my libido seems to be completely unrelated to and unable to be satisfied by a partner.

On 2/20/2018 at 3:39 PM, Fantastic Name said:

For me, libido is like this background noise that I can't shut off. It's something there that's always whining and begging me for attention. It's constant. I can ignore it most of the time (except for when I'm near my period and things get all screwed up), but it does get on my nerves after a while. What I do with it can feel really, really good, but otherwise it's a nuisance. I think the best way to describe it is that it's like this weird hunger centered in my genitals.

I say "hunger" because my libido tends to fluctuate just like regular hunger does. Sometimes I'm hungry, sometimes I'm not. Sometimes, it comes in the form of "Well, I'm bored... Might as well do it, I guess." Other times, it's a sudden impulse: "You know what would feel really good right now? Touching yourself, that's what." And, every once in a while, I do get the occasional "OH MY GOD I'M GONNA EXPLODE" where it gets really uncomfortable or painful if I try to ignore it, but that only happens once every six months or so.

I don't know about other people, but my libido's never been something I haven't noticed. I remember being thirteen and knowing I was feeling some kind of sex drive. In my experience, it's just one of those things that if you had it, you'd know it. Can't speak for everybody, though.

This is very similar to me, though I wouldn't call mine constant per se. Factors like menstrual cycle, stress, boredom, life events, health, etc can affect this just like they do with other bodily functions like sleep or eating...but unlike sleeping or eating, I've never been pushed so far that it's an absolute necessity down to that very moment. It can be the "I have to get home so I can release this tension" type of urgency, but not the "I'm feeling closer to death because of this" extreme that energy and hunger can get to.

butterflydreams
21 hours ago, Snao Cone said:

boredom

Whew...thank god I'm not the only one.

• 3 months later...

I have no desire for partnered sex, it I do feel I have a high libido I always think about sexual things, I do masturbate quite often and always have. I really enjoy it as well

To me it's like... tension that's a bit annoying, but at the same time it's a physical craving that won't let me concentrate or focus if I don't sort it out. Kind of like hunger, purely physical, and my mind is not involved in it (no fantasies or images, nothing) but affected by it. After a quick and pleasant release it's all back to normal.

This tension can go away on its own, sometimes it won't reappear for months and I'm rarely pressured to the point that I feel I have to deal with this or I'll explode :D I guess my libido is generally a tame animal.     

Libido?  What's that?  After reading this I don't think I have one at all!

Skycaptain

A thirst/hunger/itch is, to me an accurate description. Your body (or a small part of it at any rate) is saying that it wants something, in this case stimulation, and a release of certain "pleasure" hormones. 

I think that "itch" cuts it pretty well. It's something you could ignore for a while, but it gets annoying after some time. For me personally, needing a bathroom really bad is a tad much in comparison. If I don't get to use the bathroom, I'll end up crapping my pants. If I don't take care of libido, it'll just continue to bug me for a while.

I did have to pee in the woods because nature called before, but I never had to jerk off in the next 30 seconds or else. To me it doesn't have the same level of urgency.

On 2/19/2018 at 5:51 PM, RoseGoesToYale said:

I keep reading descriptions of how people describe libido... an itch, or like you have to go but worse, or a funny sensation that doesn't go away until it's attended to. I think I'm missing something here. Is the feeling different for everyone? If it's like having to go to the bathroom really bad, I don't think I've ever had a moment like "If I don't take care of this now, I'm gonna explode!" It's more like "I'm bored, and it's just something to do..." I feel like I've felt that drive for sensual stuff, but now I'm not sure I ever had a libido. Is it possible to have one and be unaware of it?

I can't speak for non-biological males but for me... It's an "itch" so to speak. Like an itch, it annoys you and encourages you to scratch. But scratching only increases the urge to continue. You can try to ignore it and the desire can fade but again, like an itch, it lingers.

With sexual urges (usually when anything causes a boner of any volume), a guy might rub their crotch and the pleasure that results helps treat that urge while also making it worse (again, like scratching an itch). It's not whether the person really wants sex or not but more just responding to that bodily response similar to non-sexual urges you might get. The nice thing is that you can masturbate to get rid of the "itch" and regain clarity. Many asexuals who masturbate do so for just this reason. The release can feel good but most asexuals don't find it that alluring and are just happy to have that urge go away.

I honestly can't answer for everyone but I don't feel like I'll explode if I don't tend to it, just that it's a bothersome sensation that I know masturbation can get rid of. And I'm someone that apparently has a high libido since I hear of people masturbating once a week or month or longer but I masturbate nearly every day. This isn't boredom but because the urge comes. The release (orgasm) feels nice for a few seconds (cause biology) but really, I'm just happy to have removed the distraction. It is also a good stress release.

Hopefully that gives you some insight :)

I think the word 'itch' is the right word for it. My libido acts up sometimes, and it annoys the hell out of me. I get terribly disgusted when that happens. It's inconvenience, according to me. It mostly happens when I am going to sleep or before my periods, when it fluctuates highly. However, it lasts only for a second, and diminishes quickly. 

• 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, Sebastrue said:

Dude, erectile dysfunction is a problem with sexual desire, namely, a situation where your penis does not become hard. Unfortunately, every third man on the planet faces this and cannot be cured

Though erectile dysfunction can occur due to a lack of libido, it is not the only cause.

https://facty.com/ailments/body/10-causes-of-erectile-dysfunction/?style=quick&utm_source=adwords-ca&adid=421633662643&utm_medium=c-search&utm_term=&utm_campaign=FHCA---dynamic-ads&gclid=Cj0KCQjwmdzzBRC7ARIsANdqRRmcYobjre0plMo8zZBrRy3bTOuvdjjOpM2oEASw0G4zhwA3M-0nLMIaAsOnEALw_wcB

As this is a two year old topic, locking. Skycaptain moderator TGA 

Archived