Can any tech savvy people help me?

Palovana

I am mostly an idiot when it comes to computers. So sorry if this is a stupid question lol.

I'm trying to download video files to a DVD. I have Windows 10 (which I hate) and a 2012 Toshiba laptop. As far as I understand, Windows 10 is basically the devil can't read DVDs, because I can't watch them on my laptop since it ninja-installed Windows 10 without my consent. So this could be a moot point anyway.

Does anyone know if, first of all, I can download the video file I want to a blank DVD?

If so, does anyone know if I need DVD+R or DVD-R? Or does it matter? The guy in Best Buy told me he thought that if I had a Toshiba I would need -R, but he wasn't entirely sure.

And if, let's say, I can't download the files directly to the DVD, would it be possible to download the files directly to by computer or a travel drive and then burn them to the disc?

Thanks in advance.

Lucas Monteiro

There is a lot of softwares that can help you to burn (write content to a CD, DVD or other recordable disc) a video to DVD, but in the Windows 10 you don't need a software to download and send to the CD, you only need to follow :

Prepare folder for burning and right click on it and for example, say Send to DVD RW drive (E:) :

b60b637d-80d8-49a9-8564-9bd52090f2f8

Right click on that drive and choose Burn to disk

f3a9f8f1-914c-4ac5-b50f-235d58691b3c

Then just wait to finish the installation, and verify if the video file you wanted it's there on the CD.

About DVD+R and DVD-R :

In your case, you will use DVD-R

There is almost no difference between DVD+R and DVD-R, they can store the same amount of data, being the maximum data that they can hold 9.1 GB. Physically they are the same, but there are some technical differences. The main functional differences between DVD-R and DVD+R are the DVD recorder's built-in defects management, the way the recorders format and rewrite DVDs, and the price. 

In case the first option doesn't work : 

https://www.easytechguides.com/burn-a-cd-or-dvd-in-windows-10.html

http://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-10/how-to-copy-files-to-a-cd-or-dvd-in-windows-10/

Thanks! I will try this.

Just another quick question - when I download the file, do I need to have the DVD drive open for the file to automarically be sent there? The file is being sent to me from someone else and I believe it's a .rar file(?) I'm not sure what that means or if it would require me to do anything different.

1 hour ago, Palovana said:

I am mostly an idiot when it comes to computers. So sorry if this is a stupid question lol.

I'm trying to download video files to a DVD. I have Windows 10 (which I hate) and a 2012 Toshiba laptop. As far as I understand, Windows 10 is basically the devil can't read DVDs, because I can't watch them on my laptop since it ninja-installed Windows 10 without my consent. So this could be a moot point anyway.

I think Lucas covered the main question but as a side note, if you can't watch DVDs on your computer since Windows10 downloaded you might try downloading the program called VLC Media Player from online and then change your default programs so that it VLC is the default whenever you insert a DVD. It's how I can play DVDs on my Win10 computer. :)

18 minutes ago, Cimmerian said:

I think Lucas covered the main question but as a side note, if you can't watch DVDs on your computer since Windows10 downloaded you might try downloading the program called VLC Media Player from online and then change your default programs so that it VLC is the default whenever you insert a DVD. It's how I can play DVDs on my Win10 computer. :)

Thanks, I have VLC and most of the time it still won't play. But that's ok, I just play them with my PlayStation. :) 

1 hour ago, Palovana said:

Windows 10 is basically the devil can't read DVDs,

I thought I couldn't watch DVDs on my Windows 10 comp for ages but I found the DVD RW thing when you open the 'This PC' tab in the photos gallery. For some reason no matter what search terms I use, I can't find that DVD RW thing, I can only find it if I actually open my photo gallery and go to 'This PC' - if I type 'DVD' into the search box though it just comes up with 'no results', it's so weird!! I don't know about burning stuff (other than with a match lol) but do you have the DVD RW thingie? it works fine for me but it was mooooonths before I found it. It never opens automatically when you put a DVD in the player-thing :o

scarletlatitude
4 hours ago, Palovana said:

Windows 10 is basically the devil

Preach it 

2 hours ago, FictoVore. said:

I thought I couldn't watch DVDs on my Windows 10 comp for ages but I found the DVD RW thing when you open the 'This PC' tab in the photos gallery. For some reason no matter what search terms I use, I can't find that DVD RW thing, I can only find it if I actually open my photo gallery and go to 'This PC' - if I type 'DVD' into the search box though it just comes up with 'no results', it's so weird!! I don't know about burning stuff (other than with a match lol) but do you have the DVD RW thingie? it works fine for me but it was mooooonths before I found it. It never opens automatically when you put a DVD in the player-thing :o

That's interesting, I've never seen that thing but I'll have to give it a try.

The file is being sent to me from someone else and I believe it's a .rar file(?) I'm not sure what that means or if it would require me to do anything different.

A .rar file is a compressed file (kind of like a .zip file) - you will need something like winzip to unpack it once you have it downloaded. You will probably want to do that on your computer before loading the unzipped file to the dvd, otherwise the zipped file won't do you much good on the dvd; it will just take up space there.

Lucas Monteiro

Thanks! I will try this.

Just another quick question - when I download the file, do I need to have the DVD drive open for the file to automarically be sent there? The file is being sent to me from someone else and I believe it's a .rar file(?) I'm not sure what that means or if it would require me to do anything different.

As @daveb said, you will need a decompressor program to unzip the files and then later you will be able to send the video files to the CD. I would recommend Winrar or 7zip to use it.

You can safely enter in those links, the first one is the link for the official download of Winrar. And Winrar is for free, it will appear a message talking about how you will have to later pay (40 days later), but in fact this message has been there since almost 1997, and you don't need to pay for nothing.

To download the Winrar :

https://www.win-rar.com/predownload.html?&f=winrar-x64-550.exe&spV=true&subD=true&L=0

A tutorial about how to use Winrar :

https://www.wikihow.com/Use-WinRAR

4 minutes ago, daveb said:

A .rar file is a compressed file (kind of like a .zip file) - you will need something like winzip to unpack it once you have it downloaded. You will probably want to do that on your computer before loading the unzipped file to the dvd, otherwise the zipped file won't do you much good on the dvd; it will just take up space there.

Thank you! This is so helpful!

So would I just need to download the file to my computer, unzip it, and then follow @Lucas Monteiro 's directions from there?

Also, what is winzip?

(Told you, I'm clueless.) :lol: 

Just now, Palovana said:

So would I just need to download the file to my computer, unzip it, and then follow @Lucas Monteiro 's directions from there?

Also, what is winzip?

Yep.

Winzip, like Winrar or 7zip, is a program that uncompresses compressed files. Once you have the .rar file on your computer you might try right-clicking on the file and see if the menu gives you an option to extract the files. That should happen if you already have some sort of program for unzipping files on your computer (assuming it's one of the programs that works on rar files).

1 minute ago, daveb said:

Yep.

Winzip, like Winrar or 7zip, is a program that uncompresses compressed files. Once you have the .rar file on your computer you might try right-clicking on the file and see if the menu gives you an option to extract the files. That should happen if you already have some sort of program for unzipping files on your computer (assuming it's one of the programs that works on rar files).

Okay I will try that! Thanks again so much and also @Lucas Monteiro, this has at least given me some direction on what to do. I really didn't know where to start before except download the file lol.

Lucas Monteiro

5 minutes ago, daveb said:

Yep.

You are too a tech savvy ? :D 

You basically said what I was going to say, it's good to know that there is other people who can help too. As I study IT, for me those kind of problems always seems to be trivial but those times reminds me that it's not everybody who has the knowledge about it. And there is no problem, not every person needs to know about how to fix those issues. What one person knows, other may not know and this apply to everything in our lives basically. It's just the fact of globalization.

No problem @Palovana, good to know that I somehow helped you.

Well, it seems like everyone answered the question here. It's been years since I've had to burn anything to a disc, and even then it was mostly non-video data, such as music and various text documents before the days of external hard drives. I didn't even think about burning video data to discs at the time, because, well, I really had no need to so I didn't even realize it was the same exact method.

Winrar is what I've always used to unzip things. I've used it since the Windows XP days when XP was the in thing.

I also have windows 10, and honestly, I don't mind it......too much anyways. I don't like how I had to download a third party program just to watch my blurays on the blu-ray drive I bought for the OS I bought, but ah well. 

Archived