"Could You Be Asexual? Here's How To Know"

scarletlatitude

scarletlatitude

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/sex-and-love/a17805521/what-does-asexual-mean/

14 Feb 2018

Mayhaps some TMI because of mention of sex and such. 

HOW THE HECK DO YOU KNOW IF YOU'RE ASEXUAL?

According to the Asexual Visibility and Education Network, “an asexual person is a person who does not experience sexual attraction.”

Sounds simple enough. But asexuality is often confused with having low libido, which is a clinical diagnosis that could be caused by a variety of medical reasons. (Think: depression totally tanking your sex drive for a few months or even years.)

Unlike having a low libido, asexuality is not a medical condition, does not come and go, and is in no way a “disorder” that could or should be treated, says Kristen Lilla, L.C.S.W., a certified sex therapist and sexuality educator in Nebraska.

Instead, asexuality is a sexual orientation, just like being straight, gay, or bi.

3 hours ago, FaerieFate said:

This is my favorite article.

I read the article because I saw your response and figured it must be good... but it doesn't imply anywhere (even vaguely) what being asexual actually is, other than 'a lack of sexual attraction' which it then doesn't only not go on to explain. The article also (correctly) states that for sexual people, they can choose their partners for many reasons other than sexual attraction (even though at the start it implies every sexual person will get all horny when they see a hot celebrity - not true lol).

...So to be honest, seeing this article makes me think it would only leave people (both sexuals and asexuals) more confused about what asexuality is, as opposed to helping them understand it better :o

“Someone who identifies as asexual might not experience sexual attraction, but they might still want to be intimate with a partner as a physical release or to be close and intimate with someone physically,” 

That line there is the one that's mucking everything up. The rest implies an asexual may have sex (and could potentially even orgasm from it) without actually wanting the sex for their own pleasure, that's all good. But this line I quoted is implying the incorrect idea that all sexual people have sex because of sexual attraction, not because they want physical release or to be close and intimate with their partner. It's implying that if the sexual attraction (ie getting horny when you see your partner is how this article seems to be spinning it) wasn't there, no sexual person would ever want sex for intimacy and pleasure ...which is just 100% false and actually pretty antisexual really when you think about it!.

I see this come up really often in this community, where someone comes to AVEN identifying as asexual because they love having sex for the intimacy, pleasure, and closeness of the act.. but not because 'I look at my partner and get horny the way sexual people do'. However, this person is going by FALSE information about what makes someone sexual, and this article is only perpetuating those false ideas that will lead people to more confusion.

2 minutes ago, FictoVore. said:

I read the article because I saw your response and figured it must be good... but it doesn't imply anywhere (even vaguely) what being asexual actually is, other than 'a lack of sexual attraction' which it then doesn't only not go on to explain. The article also (correctly) states that for sexual people, they can choose their partners for many reasons other than sexual attraction (even though at the start it implies every sexual person will get all horny when they see a hot celebrity - not true lol).

...So to be honest, seeing this article makes me think it would only leave people (both sexuals and asexuals) more confused about what asexuality is, as opposed to helping them understand it better :o

That line there is the one that's mucking everything up. The rest implies an asexual may have sex (and could potentially even orgasm from it) without actually wanting the sex for their own pleasure, that's all good. But this line I quoted is implying the incorrect idea that all sexual people have sex because of sexual attraction, not because they want physical release or to be close and intimate with their partner. It's implying that if the sexual attraction (ie getting horny when you see your partner is how this article seems to be spinning it) wasn't there, no sexual person would ever want sex for intimacy and pleasure ...which is just 100% false and actually pretty antisexual really when you think about it!.

I see this come up really often in this community, where someone comes to AVEN identifying as asexual because they love having sex for the intimacy, pleasure, and closeness of the act.. but not because 'I look at my partner and get horny the way sexual people do'. However, this person is going by FALSE information about what makes someone sexual, and this article is only perpetuating those false ideas that will lead people to more confusion.

Sorry yo give you high expectations. :P I don't know if it's the BEST article out there. I didn't read the full article. I just saw a line that said asexuals can be sexually active. So if it's not good sorry to endorse an average article. :P

1 minute ago, FaerieFate said:

Sorry yo give you high expectations. :P I don't know if it's the BEST article out there. I didn't read the full article. I just saw a line that said asexuals can be sexually active. So if it's not good sorry to endorse an average article. :P

haha no need to apologize, it's mainly just the way they didn't describe sexual attraction at all other than implying it means you 'get all hot between your legs when you see a hot celebrity', then also the other stuff I mentioned in my previous response to you. Many of the people who write articles like this have never spent any real time in the ace community, so don't really have any comprehension of just how deep the rabbit hole goes when it comes to people trying to understand asexuality, haha!! If you read the whole article you'll see that it doesn't really state anywhere what asexuality is, other than a 'lack of sexual attraction' which it doesn't explain any further. So it leaves the reader feeling a but confused and baffled. That's how I felt anyway, though in saying that I haven't had any coffee yet which probably isn't helping my comprehension much right now :P

As I've said before and will keep saying, this is why solely-attraction-based definitions for orientation fail.

According to the Asexual Visibility and Education Network, “an asexual person is a person who does not experience sexual attraction.”

Sounds simple enough.

Oh, if they only knew...

Archived