Hello World!

Susurrus

Hi everyone. I'm a college senior studying Computer Science (so my title is a little CS joke). I first found AVEN a couple weeks ago, and I've been reading the forums every night since then. I've known I was different for a long time, since I've never come close to having a relationship, but now things make sense. I'll admit that I was skeptical at first - after all, I need pretty strong evidence to say I'm part of such a small group - but the more I think about it, the more it fits. It's a relief not to have to worry about it. Every once in a while, my mom would ask me if I had a boyfriend yet, or had a crush on anyone, and the answer was usually no (I did have a crush in high school, and I've found both men and women aesthetically attractive, but I didn't realize until very recently that what I was feeling wasn't a typical crush). I didn't ever think I was "broken" - just weird and socially awkward (which is true; as an example, I would read books at the lunch table in high school instead of interacting with people). The closest I've ever come to sexual attraction is wanting to stare at someone, and that's only happened with one person.

I'm incredibly lucky to have wonderful parents and a truly accepting college community. I told my mom last week, and she thought it was "her fault" but it's mainly because she views sex as an important part of a relationship. We had a good conversation, though, so overall it went well. My parents visited today, so I told my dad, who was accepting and unfazed. (Side note: My parents are awesome and I love them!)

A few hours ago, I told my best friend in the most awkward way possible (basically, I wanted to tell her in person, but I'm awkward and didn't know how, so I "accidentally" let her see my browser open to the forums... in hindsight, I could have done that better). She was really understanding, though, and told me she has a friend who's openly asexual and proud. I've seen this friend a few times but haven't really talked with her yet.

So, overall, my life is pretty good! I'm really glad I found you all! How did I get so lucky?

Welcome to AVEN! You did better telling your best friend then I did. She had a surprise secret and so did I, so she told me she was engaged and I told I was Ace. Oh, it was great... Your parents sound super cool! Glad that you told them and they were so excepting! Happy to have you here, have some cake.

Related image

Wow. That is some really extravagant, wonderfully colorful cake. Where did you find it?

Thanks for the welcome! I hope things went well with your friend after that.

Welcome! Wow, you're friends and family sound super accepting, I'm glad to hear it all worked out for you :) 

Gluten+Free+Rainbow+Cake.jpg

Hello there, and welcome to AVEN! :cake:

As part of my welcome to you, I'd like to point out some important threads that might be helpful in your first few days here. :) The Terms of Service is here. We recommend you read it over, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to send either myself or any other administrator or moderator (the "admod" team, as we're called) a message.  Also, there's a handy forum called Site Info, which has some useful information including a thread outlining who moderates which forum. If you ever need something done in or have questions about a specific forum, please message the mod of that forum. And if you have problems with the site in general, or any single member, please message any admod. 

The following are also nifty links to take a look at:  Welcome Lounge Mini Manual | Welcoming 101 | Quick Guide to the Forums | Asexuality FAQ's

Again, welcome to AVEN and I hope your stay is everything you hoped!

PixleyDust✨

Welcome, welcome! Glad to have one more in the family. 🖤

And your story sounds A LOT like mine, especially in regards to being more awkward than broken. But in my case, I just thought it was a lack of emotional maturity on my part and that someday I’d want to date men (since I didn’t find women attractive AT ALL), just not at the time. 

But that should have been a red flag right there, because who in high school is EMOTIONALLY MATURE? 🤣

Anyways, joining AVEN was the best decision I’ve made in terms of outreach and I hope it will prove to be yours too.

P.S. I love, love, LOVE your username. Probably because it’s the same name as my college’s literary magazine. 💕

22 hours ago, Pixley said:

Anyways, joining AVEN was the best decision I’ve made in terms of outreach and I hope it will prove to be yours too.

Thank you! It seems like a pretty great place, and I'm learning a lot (sometimes I go here to procrastinate).

22 hours ago, Pixley said:

P.S. I love, love, LOVE your username. Probably because it’s the same name as my college’s literary magazine. 💕

That's a good name for a magazine! I first learned the word reading The Wee Free Men (by Terry Pratchet!!!) and found it rather elegant.

PixleyDust✨
35 minutes ago, Susurrus said:

Thank you! It seems like a pretty great place, and I'm learning a lot (sometimes I go here to procrastinate).

For real though. Some of these threads are just FANTASTIC for killing an hour...or three. 🤣

Archived