Lord Jade Cross

During school (high school, so passing periods and not actually directly interacting during class), maybe upwards of eight plus hours(If I was able to recharge the night before). If it’s a party maybe three, three and half (less if there’s raised voices/really boisterous). Crowded areas (like a busy mall or some sort of event) an hour or two. (But if it’s only me and my partner then way longer because she’s soft spoken and also an introvert.)

(And my mom is really incredulous if I tell her I’ve been interacting too much or if there’s too many people. She’s such an extrovert)

It depends on a lot of factors - if I'm alone in a large crowd of strangers I get drained quickly. If I'm with a good friend in the same situation I can last longer. If I am doing something I enjoy, like playing board games, I can tune out the other stuff more. If I can find a quiet corner I can last longer. If there is a lot of sensory stimulation/input (sounds, smells, etc.) and/or lots of activity and/or close proximity to other people, I will get drained more quickly. But usually after a whole day at most I will be ready to recharge alone and away from crowds and noise and people.

Galactic Turtle

Seeing as I live on my own and make my social life as text based as possible, the only thing I really get to my breaking point is on tour.

I do concert production and the tours I've been on range from two to five weeks plus an additional week or two of tech rehearsals. After the first couple shows I have a "closed door" production office policy. I try not to get snippy with production assistants who come in not knowing what it is they have to say. I'm the first one on tour to wake up and the last to go to sleep so I use those times in a usually empty hotel lobby gathering my wits for the next day and make sure everything on my end is perfect before my phone starts exploding at 7am the next morning. 

Though my bosses on these tours say I need to do a better job being cheery and "present" around artists. Whoops. I really am trying. Hot chocolate helps.

Right now I'm at a music venue for the regular season with particularly chatty crew members. If we hangout more than two days in a row after work I decline any further invites for at least a week. Still, I've come a long way since high school. :P 

The degree of interaction in a group social situation is the deciding factor for me. I'm not bothered by many people being around me, as long as I don't feel pressured to continuously interact or take on a particular role - that is exhausting to me, especially if I feel that being myself is not well tolerated by others.

Lucas Monteiro

I feel the same as others have pointed out, it depends on the situation. In crowded areas, it's too much for me to stay for 2 hours or more, but if the interaction I would have it's with friends it's more easy for me to not be drawned from it, so I can stay more longer than in other situations. Many variables dictate how much will my limit take time to get it, so every social intercommunication have their own breakpoints for me.

16 minutes ago, AwkwardGuy said:

The degree of interaction in a group social situation is the deciding factor for me. I'm not bothered by many people being around me, as long as I don't feel pressured to continuously interact or take on a particular role - that is exhausting to me, especially if I feel that being myself is not well tolerated by others.

Same here. As long as I'm able to remain "inwardly focused", perhaps affording a small amount of awareness externally, I'm not really bothered by situations where I'm around other people (eg. when I'm on the bus). Unless it's a loud and massive crowd which can be overly stimulating. However, actually interacting with people and being "on guard" for interaction in social situations (eg. being at a group dinner) typically means I have to pull myself out of this inward focus, which is where the mental fatigue sets in if I'm not allowed to get away after a while. I suppose I could also liken this to pulling on a rubber band; one can only pull it so far before it's dying to return to its original shape.

Lucas Monteiro
16 minutes ago, Nebulous said:

Same here. As long as I'm able to remain "inwardly focused", perhaps affording a small amount of awareness externally, I'm not really bothered by situations where I'm around other people (eg. when I'm on the bus). Unless it's a loud and massive crowd which can be overly stimulating. However, actually interacting with people and being "on guard" for interaction in social situations (eg. being at a group dinner) typically means I have to pull myself out of this inward focus, which is where the mental fatigue sets in if I'm not allowed to get away after a while. I suppose I could also liken this to pulling on a rubber band; one can only pull it so far before it's dying to return to its original shape.

You described perfectly how I feel, and I have no doubts as many others introverts feel too. It's really hard when I can't focus inwardly, and even if there is no much work for to do the interaction with someone, it gets tiresome more fast. 

It kinda depends on the situation for me. Some things that I CAN NOT stand as an introvert are:

• Extremely loud crowded areas. I am ok with nightclubs because of the dim lighting and the sound of the music that normally overshadows conversations people have. However, I can NOT stand brightly lit crowded areas. Restaurants I can NORMALLY deal with because of the spaces between the tables and everything but anything like a beer hall (like the ones in Germany?) HELL NO
  • Watching a movie with a few friends and then one friend leaves and comes back with 10+ strangers. Nope I'm checking the fuck out of there, I don't like spontaneous bombardment of strangers
  • Large church groups of any kind
  • Being introduced to a large group of strangers at once, one after another. It's just plain exhausting for me and terrifying for me

Oddly enough, i have no problem whatsoever with public speaking or stage acting. 

straightouttamordor
48 minutes ago, daveb said:

It depends on a lot of factors - if I'm alone in a large crowd of strangers I get drained quickly. If I'm with a good friend in the same situation I can last longer. If I am doing something I enjoy, like playing board games, I can tune out the other stuff more. If I can find a quiet corner I can last longer. If there is a lot of sensory stimulation/input (sounds, smells, etc.) and/or lots of activity and/or close proximity to other people, I will get drained more quickly. But usually after a whole day at most I will be ready to recharge alone and away from crowds and noise and people.

What he said

It's interesting to me to see that some people seem to be okay with crowds as long as they don't have to interact with them. For me, just being in close proximity to people can be draining - that's one reason I don't usually like mass tranist/public transportation, especially buses and airplanes. You can't avoid being too close to other people. Doesn't matter if I don't have to talk to them or even acknowledge them or anything - they are there, in my space, sucking out my energy. :P things that take my mind off of them can help (but not if they are actually touching me); headphones to block out some of the sound, taking off my glasses (I'm nearsighted) so I can't see them clearly, and having something to do that can occupy my mind and my senses, and basically anything that reduces the impact on my senses and my brain. :)

I like being out in public, within a group or just alone in a crowd.  I can do that happily for about 6 hours, then I need to go home to my quiet apartment and cat.  What I can't deal with is being with just one person for a long time, because I  have to be "on" with that person.  I really don't like anyone being with me in my home for more than about two hours.   I used to live with my partner, but I can't imagine doing that now.  

awkward_one34

Depends. With friends I can deal longer, alone I'd probably run away from any crowded situation like a party or never show up at all. Probably like 2 hours max before I go hide. But like  Kumoku said I'm okay with public speaking and acting. It's kinda weird.

Kumoku

AVEN Members

RunningStrong

I am an extroverted introvert, so I frequently confuse people. I can converse with people I know well for long periods of time. I'm incredibly outgoing sometimes even with strangers if we connect over hobbies like jewelry design or running or dogs (something more than "you have a cute guide dog that reminds me about my dog that died last year/other guide dogs I've known.")

I work at a contact center that has rotational public-facing duties, and the periods I'm at the front desk are so exhausting I'm down for the count for most evenings that rotation. It's person after person after person, and if people make intrusive/inappropriate/insensitive comments about my disability (which I get regularly anyway) it gets even worse. Craft shows, too, are exhausting, but for different reasons, because I'm sitting at a table around a bunch of people I don't know, and my interactions are so brief that I just feel overwhelmed.

The number of people doesn't matter to me but the length of time in proximity does. Max is about 2 hours of exposure before I need to fuck off.

That depends on a few factors:

1) how much mental prep I did before the social interaction

2) amount of people involved in said social interaction

3) the extent in which each person involves drains my social energy

4) average noise level of said social interaction

5) potential for breaks away from the interaction

6) how much of an escape I have should I need to recharge

I can be quite sociable, to the point that I come off as an extrovert. However, if I hit my limits, I get quite irritable and unpleasant, so I do what I can to prevent that. My field (music academia) is pretty social, but still calls for plenty of alone time too, so I've likely built up my social stamina a bit over the years, and it gives me good excuses to isolate myself as needed too.

It kinda depends on where i’m at and eho i’m with. I usually need a recharge after 3 hours. I only speak when neccessary and if i really feel things need to be said, this saves me alot of recharge time.

12 hours ago, AwkwardGuy said:

The degree of interaction in a group social situation is the deciding factor for me.

Yeah, this is probably number one for me. I can be alone or with a good friend in a crowded restaurant or something and be totally fine because I'm good at shutting everything out. But when you go from crowded restaurant full of strangers to party where you're supposed to meet new people and interact, I hit my limit the minute I walk in the door. The exception to this would be when the crowded place goes beyond normal busy city levels of crowd and noise: for instance a big event downtown, a street fair, or anywhere where there's a lot of kids in one place. Then the noise and proximity very quickly has me looking for an escape route.

AlbinoAlbatross

There are these kinda meetups I go to every so often where I get to see a bunch of friends for a week (Saturday->Next Sunday). There's like 40 of us in this one friend group. From when I wake up to when I go to sleep later that night is pretty much constant interaction. The first couple days i usually handle well. Although come like Tuesday I need to sometimes pull away for like 2 hours in the evening each day because it's just way too much for me. It takes quite a bit for me, but I do have a limit.

With family and coworkers (after I've known them for some years), my tolerance level is pretty high - about half a day of constant interaction, or on-and-off interaction throughout the day.  With anyone else, 2-3 hours is about it...I am ready to go home.   ;)

I'm brand new to this site so I don't know if I have the right to write yet 🤔😂. But honestly work will cause me to go 6-8 hours of social extrovert me, but by the end I feel borderline sick and exhausted. Even if it's not physically taxing. Well yeah so that's my first ever post 😅

Lucas Monteiro

Hello @Aesir Code, welcome to AVEN. Why don't you create a new post talking about yourself on the Welcome Lounge ? Of course, if you want :D 

For me, it doesn't really matter on how many people are present or not, I get drained after a few hours in either setting.

I can be in the library working quietly in a nook but if there are people there - in any capacity - I'm only good for a few hours.

I can have lunch with a friend - after a few hours - I'm done.

I can go to a music concert where there are 5000 people in attendance and I max out after a few hours.

Taking a road trip can be especially taxing based on how far we're driving.

It depends. I'm in general allergic to crowds, especially those in public transportation, loud groups of people and kids. I don't mind hanging out with a couple friends or spending time with my partner, but I also enjoy my alone time, so I'm not the one to call first. Family meetups, on the other hand, are debatable. I can stand them as long as there's good food.

I’m okay with the everyday requirement of me going to school and such, but if I have to do more than that for 3 days straight it’s a surefire way to make me make you gtfo of my room for a week straight lol

I'm kind of an ambivert, but it really depends on who I'm talking to. If it's a close friend, I feel lonely the second they leave and I'm left craving interaction.

With some people in some situations, it only takes 3 minutes before I'm bored and desperate to stop.

With family, I've learned to tolerate their grievances, but mostly I want to be left alone.

But to be honest, I'm actually questioning if I should even be here. I'm essentially a sort-of extrovert who can't stand drama or complaining.

And I'm stuck with a lot of dramatic complainers that it causes me pain to be around.

I feed off of social energy and fun conversations, though. Maybe it's just hard to find them.

On 2/16/2018 at 7:49 PM, daveb said:

This pretty much sums it up for me, too. I get drained more quickly now than I used to, but keeping myself isolated with some headphones going or just laying down for a while can get me back up.

God I work in an office and within 4 hours I need to get the hell out because I feel like I'm suffocating. It's really getting to a point that I can't really tolerate most interaction with people, even just going to the grocery store when it's busy makes me want to shoot myself. It's not even a question of whether I want to be alone; I need to be alone.

Archived