How can some people like someone based only on their looks?

Lucas Monteiro

J. van Deijck
On 2/16/2018 at 8:22 PM, Mezzo Forte said:

I know it's not what you're getting at, but In some cases, visual aesthetics can actually be used to communicate identity and interests, so I could see where visual signifiers of a community could end up appealing as well.

that's exactly how it works for me.

however, I always seek an emotional connection and if there isn't one, their looks mean literally nothing to me. I don't ditch people, though, even if their appearance doesn't indicate their interests at all / matching mine. 

in conclusion, I don't understand how is it even possible to like someone just because of how they look like.

Claire1983

I think looks can convey more than we realize.  It's not just about having a pretty face, but the way you carry yourself, the emotions you show through your facial expressions.  Obviously there's more to it, but there's a lot that we give away through non verbal ques that can be part of that.

Are the people who only like someone based on their looks really worse than the people who want someone who is perfect in every way? Those people not only expect that person to be good-looking, they also have to meet their high standards in every other way as well.

Practically everyone is shallow.

Also, a photo is something you choose.  The photo you choose should be you at what you think is your best.  If your first impression photo is you chugging a beer, people will figure you like to drink.  Some people may be into that, and they will 'like' you, others would be turned off, so they will move on.  Now, that photo could be a fluke, but, people will assume it represents you.  If it shows that you have something in common with the viewer, the viewer might decide to talk to you and see if you mesh on a deeper level.

I think that something got confused here. Those people though they are giving someone a ‘like’ based on a picture are not actually liking someone as in on a personal level or actually care about that person based on their looks they are merely expressing interest based on that. They see someone, they find that person attractive and visually appealing and they get interested to get to know the person. And when one uses apps like this giving ‘likes’ is apparently how they communicate that they are interested.

For me personally it doesn’t work that way (I also don’t use such apps). I can see someone somewhere and find him physically attractive and like to look at him but that attraction doesn’t spark an interest in him and to get to know the person in me. That man would have to say something smart or interesting, something that I could relate to or agreed with or share an interest with me for example for me to get interested in getting to know him.
But for many other people if not the majority looks are enough to spark an interest in wanting to get to know the person. It doesn’t mean they already like this person and are up for a relationship based solely on that, definitely not, whether they will actually like the person or not they figure out when they get to know the person and talk to them then what often leads to disappointment as well it seems.

Telecaster68
13 minutes ago, Antihero. said:

I think that something got confused here. Those people though they are giving someone a ‘like’ based on a picture are not actually liking someone as in on a personal level or actually care about that person based on their looks they are merely expressing interest based on that. They see someone, they find that person attractive and visually appealing and they get interested to get to know the person. And when one uses apps like this giving ‘likes’ is apparently how they communicate that they are interested.

For me personally it doesn’t work that way (I also don’t use such apps). I can see someone somewhere and find him physically attractive and like to look at him but that attraction doesn’t spark an interest in him and to get to know the person in me. That man would have to say something smart or interesting, something that I could relate to or agreed with or share an interest with me for example for me to get interested in getting to know him.
But for many other people if not the majority looks are enough to spark an interest in wanting to get to know the person. It doesn’t mean they already like this person and are up for a relationship based solely on that, definitely not, whether they will actually like the person or not they figure out when they get to know the person and talk to them then what often leads to disappointment as well it seems.

Couldn't agree more. This whole 'sexual people dive into a relationship based purely on looks' trope is one of the abiding misconceptions on AVEN.

13 hours ago, Telecaster68 said:

Couldn't agree more. This whole 'sexual people dive into a relationship based purely on looks' trope is one of the abiding misconceptions on AVEN.

And one of the most ridiculous and annoying. I've never once made a meaningful romantic connection or desired a relationship based on someone's appearance.

Archived