How an Ace describes beauty

blueheroness

I think being Ace makes me oddly specific about what I think is aesthetically pleasing. 

For example, today I saw a picture of a male celebrity and I thought, "wow he looks very structurally sound. " 

And then I was like wtf did you just think?  😂😂😂

But I realized my brain saw his broad shoulders and instead of reacting as a sexual might by thinking "sexy 😘" I just thought "sturdy👌". 

Does anyone else have odd descriptions for appearances? 

Hmmm... my definition of beauty is "really frickin weird" according to my sexual friend (and probably, like, most other humans)

I'm pretty much aesthetically blind and, until recently, I thought hot people didn't exist and it was all a joke :P

I honestly find it hard to see people as "pretty." Yes, there will be facial characteristics I tend to look at and appreciate, but usually it's just "yep, that's how you look cool."

My definition of beauty: Something that your senses notice, and that you like because it feels like a reflection of a part of your personal truth and experiences. 

It usually applies to art, music, nature, and such for me, lol. Though I can imagine human features could fit this!

Galactic Turtle

I don't think I use different words. I'm a k-pop fan and love analyzing airport fashion and concert outfits with my friend. It's really about the whole ensemble. My pet peeve is exposed ankles. :P

I'm just not sure why covering someone in oil makes them look better or why people fixate on certain body parts. Not an ace thing exactly but those are just things I struggle to understand (unless we're talking about exposed ankles then PUT SOME REAL SOCKS ON)

Completely honest I think my sense of beauty is warped because of some past experiences of mine. I find very little to be beautiful, or at least being worthy of that mantle. On the very rare chance somebody's appearance catches my attention, most of the time, I look over their features and I just can't help but think about their future. How all of it will sag, tarnish, and deteriorate.

I'll tell you the last thing I saw that was beautiful to me. Rewind the clock a decade or so back to me being into the deepest pits of depression. Life and everything in it to me was just a sheet of grey, unchanging, unmoving, devoid of anything. I mean that. Imagine everything you saw, heard, touched, ate, or felt being completely lifeless and hollow. One night I went for a walk to a quiet place that I favored, and the idea just hit me.

Death. Total and absolute silence. A blackness so pure there was no light. And unawareness, like the very deepest sleep you could enter. Like falling into bed after a very long day, never having to worry or feel pain, no pleasure, nothing at all and just ceasing to be, let all strings and ties go. In my state at the time, this "blackness" was the only thing I could see that had any feeling. It was the only thing of colour in an ocean of nothing. It was absolute beauty and purity. Although I've since changed, this afterimage, this notion, this feeling, this kind of lure still exists in my mind. It's a picture I can't describe or validate or visualize and yet I still see it and feel it in memory. Nothing I've ever encountered in my life after that point was worthy of the mantle of beauty. Warped, maybe. But it's an image I've never been able to remove from my mind as hard as I tried.

Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet

I describe beauty as this:  a type of art form. When I see a beautiful person, I simply see them as a work of art. That's how I describe it. No sexual attraction, just simply appreciation of a person's looks. 👌

I don't think being asexual necessarily means you perceive beauty differently. There are lots of celebrities and regular people who I think are aesthetically pleasing but it doesn't go further than that. It's kind of look but don't touch approach with me.

Lucas Monteiro
13 minutes ago, Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet said:

I describe beauty as this:  a type of art form. When I see a beautiful person, I simply see them as a work of art. That's how I describe it. No sexual attraction, just simply appreciation of a person's looks. 👌

I have the same feeling towards beauty. People who I find beautiful, are somehow an art type and their body can be symmetrically pleasing and it's truly interesting. It's like a statue with flaws, but even those can be part of the aesthetically consctruction. Stripping away the sexual attraction, and just grasping to the concept of the natural and changeable human body. 

Interesting question... I like when things look balanced, and the aura projected has a lot to do with my overall impression.  I have also had situations where I've seen someone who I wouldn't call attractive in the least, but their facial features are so "unique" that I'm like, "OMG, I need to draw this person." It's really just whatever strikes me. I'm either, "dude, he looks crazy awesome," indifferent, or occasionally, "Oo, pretty."

Seriously, I find myself looking at models and visually measuring their symmetry XD, aesthetics are so pleasing, I know some people like ASMR, but I swear I get the same feeling visually.

I despise the use of "hot" and "sexy" as words for flattery. I found them superficial and objectifying. Whilst I feel like I can appreciate Zac Efron's abs, I always say that those bodies are fit and chiselled, as opposed to being "sexy." It makes me cringe.

10 hours ago, Beaver Boy said:

Mechanical engineer?

Hahah not at all.  That is why it's extra funny to me. I don't even like math!  I don't have the brain for engineering. But somehow I still like sturdiness 👌😂.

11 hours ago, Galactic Turtle said:

I don't think I use different words. I'm a k-pop fan and love analyzing airport fashion and concert outfits with my friend. It's really about the whole ensemble. My pet peeve is exposed ankles. :P

I'm just not sure why covering someone in oil makes them look better or why people fixate on certain body parts. Not an ace thing exactly but those are just things I struggle to understand (unless we're talking about exposed ankles then PUT SOME REAL SOCKS ON)

I'm a K-Pop fan too. 👍 The picture I was looking at was of JB from Got7 ☺

11 hours ago, StormySky said:

Hmmm... my definition of beauty is "really frickin weird" according to my sexual friend (and probably, like, most other humans)

I'm pretty much aesthetically blind and, until recently, I thought hot people didn't exist and it was all a joke :P

I honestly find it hard to see people as "pretty." Yes, there will be facial characteristics I tend to look at and appreciate, but usually it's just "yep, that's how you look cool."

My definition of beauty: Something that your senses notice, and that you like because it feels like a reflection of a part of your personal truth and experiences. 

It usually applies to art, music, nature, and such for me, lol. Though I can imagine human features could fit this!

🤔 I think there is some truth to that. I know that married couples tend to look alike in some fashion. Not necessarily the same but a similar build. So I can see how we might look for things that reflect us. 

@E is for E That is very interesting and moving. Thank you for sharing.  I don't completely understand the feeling you describe but I think I can relate to not being afraid of death. I see it in a more positive light becuase of my Chrsitian faith. Since I believe in an afterlife I think about death as a new beginning. So in that way maybe I can relate. 

EnterCreativeName

I use the word "pretty" a lot in my head, and sometimes cute. Words like hot and sexy never come up, and the word beautiful I relate more to art and nature. When it comes to thinking someone is pretty, I am usually thinking about my friends. I'll think it when someone's hair looks good, or when I like my friends smile, or when they is wearing a color that looks good on them. (This especially happens with my platonic crush) It's not attraction really, but it's more acknowledging how nice they look that day.

Maybe I just have a limited vocabulary, but sometimes I'll say "he's cool" when I really mean he's romantically attractive.  Or, I'll call someone "elegant" if they fit the word. 

Bitterandtwisted

I do like the word "elegant" to describe what I find aesthetically pleasing in humans, I very rarely have any appreciation for people my friends call sexy, they generally look corse and slutty, and, rather weirdly now I think of it, they look as though they'd smell bad.

Beauty, to me, has to have balance and harmony, but since beauty can't be bland and boring there has to be something quirky or exaggerated or dynamic that gives whatever or whomever enough character to hold my interest.

When it comes to humans, I certainly appreciate the looks of androgynous, pretty boys and strong featured, handsome women, but the vast majority of people are physically unremarkable, and once I consider a person as someone I know, then I barely  consider the aesthetics of their flesh puppet.  I've always used handsome, pretty and beautiful to mean different things, and as gender neutral adjectives.  

Since I don’t really have any romantic or sexual prospects, I just classify people’s looks as “nice,” “good” (generic), or - if they have several severely incongruous features or are distinctly unhygienic - “not great.” Regardless, I largely don’t really admire people’s looks that much; I just assign them as a distinguishing character trait and that’s about it. I’m actually fairly certain that I’ve never said the words “cute,” “pretty,” “sexy,” or “beautiful” unless I had to read a line in a book out loud or something like that 😅. Urgh, the word “cute” in particular is just so saccharine that I can’t bear to consciously use it 😖. Does that make me sound like a downer 😅?

I don't really care about appearance on its own. I can recognize when people are good-looking but it doesn't really mean anything to me if they're lacking a likable and/or cool personality. Unfortunately, like everyone, I am superficial to some extent and aesthetics do matter somewhat. But I don't think I get as fixated as other people do and I think I place more importance on personality than looks.

My siblings and I have all had our awkward phases and I don't feel any differently about them now that they're at their best than I did about them at their worst. I've loved them all along.

I also think it's weird to have specific things that you value, it's like only seeing that person for their body parts.

Beauty to me is largely dependent on a person's soul.

Beauty is when you write 300 lines of C++ without compiling, and when you finally enter the compile command, the terminal returns the carriage immediately to the next line.

No errors. No warnings. Just the next prompt, ready for immediate execution, and nothing else on the terminal. Truly beautiful. 

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 8:34 AM, Gldlynch said:

I despise the use of "hot" and "sexy" as words for flattery.

I'm with you on that, I always had a detest for those words as well. Personally I'm stuck on referring things that appeal to me visually as cute, cool or awesome though it's always in non attractive manner with people in particular.

3 hours ago, Ace of Mind said:

Beauty is when you write 300 lines of C++ without compiling, and when you finally enter the compile command, the terminal returns the carriage immediately to the next line.

No errors. No warnings. Just the next prompt, ready for immediate execution, and nothing else on the terminal. Truly beautiful. 

Oh my god... This is the most relatable post I have seen in a while... True Beauty. 

Green Ace Dragon

Im an artist so certain features about people make me happy. Like contour lines. I especially like the contour of peoples backs. And before i knew i was asexual, my friends asked me what i found attractive and i said peoples backs. And then they started gettin all weird with me saying "you're aroused by peoples backs?!" And i was like "??? No??? Its aesthetically pleasing??? WHAT DO YOU MEAN?!?!" and thats the story of the time my whole friend group thought i was sexually attracted to backs. 😷

EggplantWitch

Me seeing an attractive person, stroking my chin contemplatively: "Hm, yes... this pleases me, very nice, good structure."

But real talk, I don't think I would describe many people as "beautiful" even if I would describe them as "attractive". And when I do it's almost always a woman, even though I'm not homoromantic. The only physical trait I find attractive on anyone regardless of gender, height, weight etc is freckles. So cute <3 

I have 100% thought of the word "elegant" when describing people that I think are attractive.

Janus the Fox

Beauty is deeper and from within to me really.

On ‎16‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 6:33 AM, Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet said:

On ‎16‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 6:46 AM, Lucas Monteiro said:

I have the same feeling towards beauty. People who I find beautiful, are somehow an art type and their body can be symmetrically pleasing and it's truly interesting. It's like a statue with flaws, but even those can be part of the aesthetically consctruction. Stripping away the sexual attraction, and just grasping to the concept of the natural and changeable human body. 

Yes. Exactly that. For me, it's mostly faces, where I think wow, I would love to have a picture of that face. The body of course can be similarily beautiful, but I'm mostly aesthetically attracted to faces.

I don't really understand aesthetic attraction that well, but I figure it is similar to walking through an art gallery and appreciating a few particular artworks out of the many. As an artist, it works well for me to use art terms (context, line, color, movement, balance, shape, rhythm, etc.)  to find beauty in something even if what I am observing isn't an artwork.

I find certain people in my life aesthetically pretty just with no sexual component to it. Most of the people in my life that I think are beautiful is really tied to their personality. It's like their beauty continues to increase and grow in my eyes as I learn more about them and really appreciate who they are.

From a purely aesthetic perspective when I just see people passing by or those I don't know well, I tend to attach the label "beautiful" or "pretty" to those with a more earthy appearance with an athletic build. Brown hair, brown eyes, some scruff (if its a guy) and a light tan skin tone. I'm very much a nature and wilderness buff so the more natural-organic look would be what I find beautiful when considering other people.

Archived