Came out to my mom and oh boy some coolness

athenahono

So I came out to my mom as ace today. I explained it to her as well as I could and she said that it's more normal than most people know. She said she's not sure if it needs a label but a lot of people, especially women, just don't have that interest. Doesn't mean they don't enjoy it or will do it for their partners or for children but they just don't have that interest. Apparently about 75% of women she's met in her adult life have no interest in it. It's normal. Just a lot of people don't talk about it or say things they think they're supposed to say.

Guys I feel amazing about this. 

Asexuality is normal. 

Not well known, but normal

Glad to hear you have such an understanding parent. The other day I began thinking about my own mother. She criticized everything I did but the fact I never had a girl friend was never discussed. This was 1979 and nobody knew asexual people existed, so I had no need to explain anything. I'm now beginning to think mother may have been asexual as well.  

I’m happy hearing it went well for you telling your mother. :) 

That’s interesting and makes sense. It also doesn’t surprise me that it may affect more women than men, although we’ll never know the real figures.

Archived