"Ten Questions You Always Wanted to Ask an Asexual Person"

scarletlatitude

scarletlatitude

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9knjna/ten-questions-you-always-wanted-to-ask-an-asexual-person

13 Feb 2018

A little TMI because it discusses sexual things. 

Here's my favorite part (spoiler for language)

Spoiler

Do people treat you differently when they find out your sexual orientation?
Yes, definitely. Some will completely ignore me on nights out as soon as they realize that sleeping with me isn't an option. Others fetishize it. There was this one time, when a friend of a friend found out I was asexual, and she started asking tons of questions. While I answered them, she interrupted me to tell me that she was feeling an immense urge to fuck me. There had been no sexual tension between us until she saw me as some sort of challenge.

It's bad enough for those of us who never feel sexual desire, but it’s even worse for asexuals who have felt desire at some point in their lives. Once people know that, they naturally assume that they have the magical powers to make us feel desire again

Well said. Good summary :cake:

Thanks for sharing

I've read so many interviews with asexuals, and to be honest, I got a little tired of them. 

Maybe it's because I haven't read one in a very long time, but I think that this interview sheds a different light on what it means to be ace. Interesting.

Thanks for sharing!

AmeliaMichelle

"It's bad enough for those of us who never feel sexual desire, but it’s even worse for asexuals who have felt desire at some point in their lives. Once people know that, they naturally assume that they have the magical powers to make us feel desire again."

this was a decent article, it had some really relevant information in it, I especially liked this quote, as I have felt this often in my own questioning whether I am a-sexual or just celibate. I unfortunately feel the need to defend myself more often than I should, and while I think my behaviors and thoughts back up an idea that I am, I also feel so much cultural stigma that I tend to beat myself up about it. she also mentioned that type of guilt and the social pressure to be conquered or that sense of being 'challenging', which I thought was really significant to the way so many of the ideas behind 'love' work, unfortunately.

Archived