Prude

Willgracefan

So when I was questioning my sexuality I began to write down instances in my past to determine if I was Ace. Nine months later another one to add to the list just popped into my head. Prude was a word I remember being accused of being at certain times in my life. When I was old enough to know what it meant I was like, “ why do I feel bad about being called a prude”. It made no sense to me. I recently came out to my friends and sister, should I also come out as being a prude as well? :lol: 

I feel your pain. I get called a prude when I show pretty much ANY blatant aceness. It seems like no one around me gets the concept that aces do exist, so they just label me as a prude.

I hate being called a prude. I find it an insult to my identity.

Should I also come out as being a prude as well?

Prude: (a few definitions I could find online)

- a person who is excessively proper or modest in speech, conduct,dress, etc.

A person who is excessively concerned with propriety or modesty, especially in sexual matters.

a person who affects or shows an excessively modest, prim, or proper attitude, esp regarding sex

a person who is excessively proper or modest and is or affects to be easily shocked, esp. in matters involving sex.

a person who is excessively or priggishly attentive to propriety or decorum; especially a woman who shows or affects extreme modesty

I believe that the only part of these definitions which may be perceived negatively is the adjective 'excessively'.

But as it is relative and differs for every person this doesn't really matter imo.

I believe that if you could choose between being prudish and being slutty (or being less proper for that matter)... we all know which one would bring the higher amount of complications and general problems.

I don't think you should feel bad for making the wiser choice.

Hey Willgracefan

That sounds like a rather annoying case. Being prude and being asexuality are quite seperate.

IMO, being prude is an attitude, a decision, a specific frame of mind. Being asexual is an orientation, an identity, something that we have very little control over.

If people call me prude it doesn't really bother me because it's just their opinion, and people's opinions do not define you, it defines them.

Archived