Dating a fellow asexual, the only way to have a happy relationship?

katinthehat

Hi friends,

Throughout my life, I have gone through phases of wanting to date and wanting to remain single. Being somewhere on the ace spectrum has been really tough to grasp for me, as I feel like the chances of meeting an understanding partner are slim to none. I wonder if I should get out of my comfort zone, and try online-dating (the thought frightens me a bit)? I think I might have a better chance in meeting another ace who is interested in a long-term relationship whether romantic or platonic. Anyone have any success stories, or just stories in general to share?

I believe there are quite a few people on this site who are involved in successful relationships. Not all of them are with other aces, relationships come in many different sizes, shapes and forms. I personally think it would be "easier" to date another ace in certain aspects. But finding someone who is ace, interested in dating, AND interested in you (romantically I mean) may be a slightly tall order =|
As for the online dating part, I've heard of one or two people who have met matches online. Normally through communities like this one instead of dating apps though.

I guess it's a matter of finding out who is interested and who you are interested in =)

Hello, Katinthehat.

Being in a happy mixed relationship myself, I don’t think that ace people can only be happy with other aces. However, I wouldn't suggest dating sites – from what I experienced myself and read on this forum, online dating is overly sexualized. You might get out of your comfort zone by meeting new people at work/school, joining some hobby clubs (dancing, language learning - whatever). This way your potential partner will see you as a person first and as a sexual partner – far second. As a result they might be able to choose you over sex.

If you want to meet an asexual partner specifically, then ace dating sites might be the better option for you – statistically, it’s kind of hard to meet an ace at random.

Best wishes.

I've tried dating apps like tinder. I have only ever seen one person openly say she was ace. If you are comfortable enough to put yourself out there and say you are ace you might have some luck otherwise it can be a little difficult in an app geared towards sex.

I know some people who aren't asexual, but are not interested in sex. If you can find someone with an extremely low sex drive, it could work.

To most sexuals, you are looking for a best friend and you want the friendship to stop before physical love comes into the picture. To most sexuals, this is an odd thing. 

I've been in a serious relationship with a non ace for 4 years and he knew I was ace before we were together. If someone truly loves you they won't get hung up on stuff like that.

Archived