Use of identity labels

TheAP

1. What terms or labels do you use to describe your sexual orientation, romantic orientation, and/or gender identity?

Female, asexual and biromantic. I'm more in the grey area than a "pure" asexual, but find too-specific labels to be a bit confusing for everyone involved.

2. How, if at all, do you describe your identity to people on other Internet sites?

Same as above.

3. How, if at all, do you describe your identity to people in real life?

Same as above, though I'm thinking of dropping the ace part entirely.

4. How do people react when you tell them about your identity? Have you faced any backlash?

Friends&family had been supportive, but I think being open about my asexuality had made dating a lot more complicated- like people not even giving me a chance because they assume I'm not interested in relationships altogether :\ so I think keeping it more hidden would work better for me.

1. What terms or labels do you use to describe your sexual orientation, romantic orientation, and/or gender identity?

If I have to label myself I say romantic ace female but labels tend to be irrelevant at least for me.

2. How, if at all, do you describe your identity to people on other Internet sites?

This is the only site I mention it

There's no need for me to describe anything, its pretty obvious aside from asexaulity (which I never bring up since it's never relevant to talk about)

4. How do people react when you tell them about your identity? Have you faced any backlash?

I have told 2 people and both were cool about it.

I really really hate labels... there's no need for me to go around calling myself 100 different things I just am a girl who happens to not relate to sexual feelings.

1. Panromantic asexual for sexuality. Trans female, genderfluid, transfeminine, agender for gender.

2. Same with sexuality. With gender, I usually just go with trans female to simplify things and it pretty much describes me.

3. Depends on the person. Panromantic asexual to some people, bisexual to other people, and I avoid telling other people. With gender, I'm not really out to anybody.

4. Everybody in real life and almost everybody online has been supportive.

• 2 weeks later...
Dark-Spirit

Female, Aromantic Asexual, and Also FictoRomantic/Fictosexual.

Same as above, since I only go here. (Used to be on Tumblr and Deviantart, but not anymore.)

Depends.I never talk about it.If asked, I would say I'm "not interested with relationships", just to make it simple.

Only my QPP knows about my identity.They've been very supportive about it and helped me to accept my identity multiple times.

Never told to family.

Never told to parents, but they're aware that I don't want to date and have sex, and told me multiples times that it was perfectly okay.They don't know about the Ficto part, though.

E Wildflower

I identify as genderfluid, asexual, and greyromantic/grey-aromantic.

The only internet sites that I use that involve talking to people are specifically non-heterosexual/non-cisgender oriented, so I have a tendency to assume that people know what the terms genderfluid, asexual, and greyromantic or grey-aromantic mean, and use those. Frequently I'll specify that I use greyromantic and grey-aromantic interchangeably, sometimes I'll just use one or the other.

When it's relevant, I'll use any of a number of words, whatever seems useful or appealing in that moment. This can include:

For my gender - transgender (or trans), nonbinary, genderqueer, genderfluid, or just plain "not a woman"

For my sexual/romantic orientation - asexual (or ace), aromantic, greyromantic, grey-aromantic, queer, gay, or just plain "I don't really date"

For the most part, I have gotten supportive responses, but I tend to be choosy about who I talk about my sexual/romantic orientation and gender with. If I think someone won't react well or I'm not sure how they'll react, I won't tell them.

On 2/11/2018 at 10:44 AM, TheAP said:

1. Asexual, Aromantic, Non-binary.

2. I do not in general. It is restricted to AVEN. I go based on what ever gender I feel like when I sign up a new account on other sites. Then talk based on that.

3. I do not. I go based on my biological sex then. I do not really care so much in real life, because it is not something that is on my mind. I prefer to avoid people in general.

4. They do not, because I've never told them. Now if I chatted on voice chat, it eventually switches to my biological sex. Just like I treat real life. People are generally surprised and do not care, and or think I am a queer.

BinaryFission

Hi all, this is just a little survey to see how AVENites use labels to describe their identities. There is no poll; the questions are more open-ended.

1) I describe myself as a hetero-romantic asexual. Along with that, I consider my gender identity as demigirl.

2) I don't really use any other social media sites other than Facebook and AVEN, and on Facebook I vaguely state that I am asexual.

3) I describe my identity as an asexual as a person who lacks sexual attraction. I describe my identity as a demigirl as me identifying myself with feminine qualities along with agender qualities, but my feminine qualities are a bit more dominant. 

4) I told one of my "friends" (not really my friend now because of certain reasons) that I was asexual and they stated that asexuality doesn't exist and that it's bullshit. 

Hi all, this is just a little survey to see how AVENites use labels to describe their identities. There is no poll; the questions are more open-ended.

1. I’m a sex-repulsed panromantic asexual genderfluid person who’s usually agender.

2. I’ve posted a few things relating to my identity on my Instagram, but I don’t really have conversations with people online.

3. If relationships or attraction comes up in conversation, I’ll tell people that I don’t find anyone hot. I’ll mention my crush on Eleven from Stranger Things if I’m talking about the show, so there are a few people at my school who have probably realized I’m not straight. (I’m not out about my gender at school, so the few people I talk to enough to tell about my love for Eleven probably think I’m a lesbian or bi.)

4. Everyone I’ve come out to so far has been supportive. My mom doesn’t really believe that a person can be agender, and my parents mess up my pronouns much more often than not, but I’m pretty sure they’re at least trying.

• 2 weeks later...

1. What terms or labels do you use to describe your sexual orientation, romantic orientation, and/or gender identity?  I dont care for nor like labels, imo: unnecessary & constricting.

2. How, if at all, do you describe your identity to people on other Internet sites?  My sexuality & orientation is my business, not others

3. How, if at all, do you describe your identity to people in real life?  They have no idea, am not out.

4. How do people react when you tell them about your identity? Have you faced any backlash?  Am not out, so have never faced this.

J. van Deijck

Asexual - demi-homoromantic - male.

Same, if ever.

I don't. Only two people know.

I've experienced a variety of different reactions :D mostly people saying that 'I look like I was gay' (whatever it means to them), or people being surprised that I'm not a woman. 

• 4 weeks later...
halfragment

Asexual and fictoromantic.

Well, my pinned tweet on Twitter explicitly states I am fictoromantic and ace. Other than that, I don't delve into either of those because I don't hold personal conversations.

My family doesn't need to know I'm ace because they don't care about who I am as a person, unfortunately. As for my romantic orientation, it frustrates them to no end and they think it's a huge waste of time. When I was younger they thought it was cute but now that I'm older and still only interested in characters it's an issue and I 'need to be free from my delusions'. I don't understand why it matters to anyone but me, and I tend to get bitter over it. Let me be with my partner in peace, please.

Oh definitely. I can count the number of personally supportive people on one hand, probably. I do have friends who claim to be understanding but then when I really want to talk about my boy they get uncomfortable and tell me it's weird. I've also had people try to get me to hook up with them/have sex with them and they claimed to understand me until I'd tell them I wasn't interested. Apparently not giving them what they hoped for makes me crazy and selfish? Hnn.

here_on_the_morrow
On 2/11/2018 at 7:44 AM, TheAP said:

1. Cis female, grey/pan romantic, asexual. 

2. Since discovering asexuality, i haven't really brought it up. But i used to identify as an out and proud lesbian. 

3. I've only brought it up to a few people since discovering asexuality. I said panromantic asexual to my bff who majored in sex and gender studies and would understand the split attraction model; otherwise i just said asexual. 

4. So far i've had nothing but good reactions! I'm pretty impressed. But i've only told five people. 

1. What terms or labels do you use to describe your sexual orientation, romantic orientation, and/or gender identity?  Asexual, aromantic, agender

2. I don't use any similar websites

3. I say that I'm not interested in sex / a romantic relationship, and if they ask I clarify and say that I'm asexual and aromantic. I've never told anyone that I'm agender.

4. Most people just nod and go about their day, because it doesn't really matter. I had one guy tell me oh my god, you're so pure, which was weird. My doctor told me that it might just be a phase, but I haven't really faced any backlash.

GeneralSkittelz

1. Aromantic Asexual

2. Same as #1

3. Again same as #1, they all generally know what it is and aren't really surprised

4. the people I have told, which is my close friends, were like "yeah, that fits" so no problems for me

1. Aromantic asexual and agender. In general for gender, I also use trans(gender), non-binary (I usually write enby), and genderqueer. 

2. Well, I'm very open on places like facebook. Even wrote out that I'm aro ace and agender in my profile. Instagram, I might post related stuff, but don't actually mention it in my profile. I haven't been on many other forums for a while...I'd probably be open with it on those, too.

3. Unless it's dangerous, I'll tell them and explain if needed. If it's too dangerous and someone randomly asked me, I'd probably say I was straight and cis. It's one way to avoid that sort of thing. However, I probably wouldn't blend in well.

4. Most people have been very supportive and loving. I've only had 2 negative reactions towards me being aro ace. One of those was pretty bad, and it was in person. I won't go into detail, but it was appalling. Someone said I should give that person some slack because of their age. I'm sorry...age is not an excuse. It was so bad that the hosts at that dinner, who we're good family friends with, broke up their friendship with them. Now, that person will never attend those dinners again. Those hosts were/are still amazingly accepting about it all. They want to learn about all 3 labels. I think some of my conservative religious relatives don't 'approve' of them. They never react to posts on fb relating to those labels. They also never said anything bad about them...I don't need their approval, though.

butterflyaway

Sexual orientation: gray-asexual

Romantic orientation: panromantic

Gender identity: non-binary

I don't really say anything about it. I did ask a question on DINET about binding, but that doesn't really say much.

Depends who they are. There are like 5 people I've told my actual sexual/romantic orientation to. There are like 2 people that know my gender identity. To my parents, I'm a bisexual cis female (my mom kinda knows about my gender questioning but refuses to accept it so lol I'm never coming out). Half my extended family thinks I'm straight and the other half thinks I'm gay. Like one of them knows I'm bisexual and at least questioning my gender. My friends know me as bisexual. The GSA at my school knows I'm pan-ish/ace-ish/trans-ish.

Of the people that I've told my real orientation to, one of them totally understood, two of them needed some explaining, and two of them were so confused. One of the people understood my gender identity and the other didn't know where to start. Overall, no one judged me when I explained it or they were proud of me for coming out. As for everyone else, my friends and one of my parents accepts me as bisexual. The rest of them are just convinced that I'm confused. Yeah, I've definitely faced backlash. For me, there was more backlash for being bisexual than being gay, and more backlash for questioning my gender than being bisexual. 

• 3 weeks later...
AcornCarvings

I generally use ace to describe my sexuality, I try to avoid labeling my romantic orientation because i don't necasarialy make distinctions between romantic and not-romantic attraction. I also generally avoid gender labels because i always go down nasty paths where I question if I fit them.

I do not. I don't use social media much, and I don't put stuff like that out there unless in person to people I really trust.

I tell people I am close to and who are versed in queer stuff that I am asexual. I tell them that I don't really draw distinction between romantic and platonic attraction, that I don't like kissing people on the lips, and that I enjoy rather intimate or passionate cuddling with some people sometimes. I kinda sometimes go into relationship anarchy a bit and say that I try to value every relationship I have for the unique ways I love and interact with people, and not inherently value some types of relationships more than others. 

I tell them that often I don't like my body but sometimes I really do, and that gender for me is really weird, and say I don't really care about pronouns, she/her is cool and they/them is really nice sometimes. I make jokes about a lot of that sort of stuff, and tell people I enjoy confusing people about my gender.

I tell people I am close to who to not know much about that stuff but who I trust a lot to be respectful that I am not sexually attracted to people (and expect weird comments or questions). I say that that doesn't mean I can't be romantically attracted to people, but I personally try not to draw distinctions between romantic and not romantic in my relationships, and that I do like some types of physical stuff sometimes. I tell them that I often don't like things about my body, and might describe how I feel about femininity.

To other people who I learn are ace I am like, "woah cool I'm ace too!" but unless I know them well, I don't go into much detail.

If people ask my pronouns I say I am pretty chill with pronouns and am cool with she, but really wouldn't mind they/them sometimes.

sometimes if people who don't really know lgbt or queer stuff ask I just say I'm bi just to get a rough sketch of my sexuality out there. that of course is really imperfect and leads to assumptions - but ehhh

If that person is a het-guy I'll sometimes say I am a lesbian. probs shouldn't hijack these Identities, but I figure I'm pretty close ish and they are really practical in some scenarios.

people who are my friends and I trust generally are really cool about it. I might get some weird comments or questions but nothing that I can't manage. Sometimes they will ask things like "how can you have romantic attraction without sex" and that can really hurt but generally it is ok.

There have been a couple of occasions that have gone really poorly or weird that have left me feeling really bad.

In my senior year of highschool I told this guy at this college I was taking classes at. He was probably four years older than me, and in hindsight very haughty and manipulative. It was valentines day and he got me a card and I got really nervous and asked if it was romantic. He said god no and I was very relieved. I explained that I was not really into guys, so he asked if I was into girls, and I said not really. He was like "oh, you're asexual then!" and I was sssooo excited because he was the first person who I found out knew the term. But then he kept saying weird things like "oh so your like spock" or "that's why you're so good at math you're like an android, or maybe you're more like a scarecrow" and "so you never love people"  (to which I made possibly the best situational pun of my life: "stop trying to make me into a strawman vulcan!!!") I mostly laughed all of this off, but it stuck with me and kind of hurt.

the other main time it went really wrong was this year in college I have a group of friends that hung out a lot together. I kinda slowly came out to all of them about how I feel about my gender, and I told them that I was really happy to finally have a binder for my chest. One of my friends (she was cis-het btw) talked to me and I guess jumped to all these conclusions about how I felt about gender and told me that she knew a lot about trans stuff and if I ever needed to talk to anyone about it I could come to her and How I felt about my body was perfectly ok and That I could use hormones and stuff and that One of her old classmates was a trans guy and she Had read a lot of tumbler posts about it. It was really terrible feeling.

Most people I have told about my pronouns even though I say I like they/them and she/her only use she/her to refer to me. Only a few of them very rarely use they/them.

1. I’m quoiromantic graysexual. As of right now I feel like those are the most accurate terms for me.

2. I don’t talk about my identity much on other websites. I just don’t really bring it up.

3. I’ll start by asking if they know what asexuality or aromanticism are. If they don’t know I say that they mean someone does not experience the related attraction. For graysexual, I say that it means I am on the asexual spectrum and that I have very little sexual attraction, and that it’s infrequent that I do. For quoiromantic, I say that I can’t understand how romantic attraction feels, so I can’t tell the difference between platonic and romantic attraction. I’ll usually add in metaphors like trying to describe color to someone blind or trying to find a word that isn’t in the dictionary yet everyone seems to know it. My romantic orientation is the one I worry about people not understanding, so I tend to say a lot.

4. Almost all of my friends I’ve told are LGBT+ themselves and all of them have been extremely accepting. Most of them treat it as a learning experience and are very open to it. I’m also careful about who I try to explain it too though, so I haven’t talked to anyone about it that’s had a major negative reaction.

• 1 month later...

1. Grey-panromantic and grey-pansexual. Queer as a simpler answer.

2. Queer, grey-aro, and/or grey-ace, depending on the situation.

3. Queer. Grey-panromantic and grey-pansexual if asked for more detail.

4. Everyone has reacted well so far, but I'm now living in Idaho (albeit in the Boise area) so that may no longer be the case 100% of the time.

1. I don't really. I look up definitions, ballpark where I'm closest just as reference, and call it a day.

2. I don't. Another thing I don't really tend to do often, if ever. Nobody asks me, so I've absolutely zero reason to tell.

3. I don't.

4. Mostly sideways glances. Backlash in the past. At this point I just answer "no" to everything.

• 2 weeks later...
BambooRiver

Sex-repulsed asexual, gray-panromantic, gender-neutral/agender/fluid/questioning/who really knows

I don't talk to people online.

I don't talk about sexuality/gender to other people unless they specifically ask.

I only told my family that I'm asexual and only my mom that I'm probably aromantic. No one knows about my gender irl.

On 2/11/2018 at 11:44 AM, TheAP said:

1) I don't, no point in doing so to describe an absence of something.

2) No opportunity.

3) If anyone asks, I inform the asks of my non-interest in them. Makes things awkward but it is effective. If they persist I just loudly announce that I do not like them.

4) Regarding (2) N/A, regarding (3) they feel really embarrassed and/or divert the conversation 100% of the time.

I've grown tired of this yet I'm only in my mid 20s... *sigh*

Asexual, romantically questioning, female.

Most of my internet presence either never questions orientation or is directly linked to being asexual.

Asexual.

My friends have been accepting but my parents staunchly maintain that I am heterosexual.

Sexual / romantic orientation: Straight. Like I'm ace and I'm not actively trying to hide it, I just feel weird going around advertising it and saying that I'm asexual is just sort of a hassle.

I'll just say I'm straight / ace.

Straight / ace.

No, I've not really gotten any negative responses

1. What terms or labels do you use to describe your sexual orientation, romantic orientation, and/or gender identity?

Gray Gay Ace (technically novoromantic) and transflux guy

I like using gay instead of homoromantic. And the gray only applies to my romantic orientation not my sexual one. (Novoromantic means that my romantic orientation changes based on my gender. When I’m agender I’m aro and when I’m a guy it’s homoromantic but I think gray kinda encompasses that.)

I’m not really on other sites. But in the times I have said anything I usually just say I’m ace (or gay) and a transguy (cause I don’t wanna have to describe what it means to have a flux gender when I go by he/him pronouns all the time anyway.)

Some knows me as ace others as gay (and neither is wrong technically, just that those who know me as gay assume I’m allo) 

No backlash to my romantic/sexual orientation. But the usual family troubles with my gender. 

Demi-heterosexual, Demi-heteroromantic, cis female

Sometimes just for simplicity’s sake I say I’m either asexual or straight (whichever is more relevant) so that I don’t have to explain demisexuality.

Straight. I’m married to a person who I’m sexually active with, so if I tell them I’m aspec it’s going to confuse them unnecessarily. Plus it’s none of their business.

I tried to explain it to my mom once and she didn’t really get it and thought it was a little weird. My husband is the same way as me. Those are really the only people who I’ve talked to about it.

• 1 month later...

1. What terms or labels do you use to describe your sexual orientation, romantic orientation, and/or gender identity?

Demi-homoromantic asexual, female/agender (genderqueer)

I don't use any other internet sites...

I only told one friend and she only knows I'm asexual. Everyone else knows I'm not interested in sexual or romantic relationships. 

My friend accepted me in the most amazing way and she's great ^^

Since people basically know I don't want a sexual or romantic relationship or kids I've had a lot of people tell me I've got to be either an alien, the villain, extremely childish or gay. I've mostly had people tell me they feel sorry for me, even when I tell them that I don't want the relationship they think I should want.

1. I use the terms Queer, Asexual, Autochorrisexual, Homoromatic, and sometimes demi-panromantic for my sexual/romantic orientation. As for gender identity, it kinda depends, thought recently I've been using nonbinary, and transmasculine.

2. On the internet I'm for the most always out as Asexual and transmasculine on a basic level. Sometimes I won't label my gender identity, but I'll describe it as "I see myself as male, but everyone else is blind to that." Sometimes I'll just tell people that I'm male, because then it's garuanteed they'll use male pronouns.

3. To my family and acquaintances I'm known as cis-het for safety reasons. As for my close friends they all know me as Asexual, and only a handful of them know of my trans identity which I've simply described as ftm to them, because that already is "too much effort for them to understand."

4. People tend to not believe me when I say I'm asexual only because I love a good dirty joke. I've only had one extremely negative response to my asexuality, but it wasn't exactly from the nicest person either. As for telling people my gender identity I'm mostly met with disgust and disbelief and often told that I'm a waste of a human being. I've had a neutral reaponses from friends though, not that they're bothered to use my pronouns. 

1. Caveman.

2. Caveman, Moron, Idiot, Walrus, Man, Fish, Man-Fish.

3. Um...hm. I, uh...my best William Shatner face impression

4. "Huh?"

I'm an ace lesbian.

I don't really feel the need to describe myself. If people don't get it, I'm fine with that. 

I guess I just talk about my feelings about sex and love if I do that at all. 

No. I don't talk about it much. Don't need to. 

Archived