Teetotalers

Tyger Songbird

Tyger Songbird

Are there any people who don't drink or smoke anything here on AVEN? I'm just wondering.

I've never drank alcohol of any kind, smoked anything of any kind, and I've never even drank coffee before. I don't use alcohol, coffee, caffeine, or drugs of any kind. I'm not kidding. And I don't have sex either.

Man, in the world today, I would be the most boring person around, wouldn't I?

Anyway, I'm like the only guy ever (according to my work and friend circle) that hasn't ever drank, smoked something, or at least use coffee. I don't even like to drink tea if it's caffeinated, So, I avoid most tea really. Looking at the world at large, I would tend to agree with them to that extent.

Obviously, coffee and alcohol are 2 totally different things. However, most people seem to not live or function at times without it. So, there is a dependency factor there for both.

Me personally, I just have never really seen the reason to ever use or indulge in it. I just have never really seen a purpose to ever indulge in any of these things.  Maybe it's because I was never really surrounded by it and was part of the nerdy, geeky crowd who stay at home on Fridays, but I just never cared for alcohol or drug use. They don't mean much to me, and they just don't interest me. They never have. Dilly Dilly!

I don't really like parties, especially those with alcohol in them. Sorry, I'm not a party person. I'm more of a hermit, really.

But I still am fun!

However, try explaining that to a culture that makes everything about the drinking and partying all the time, as if that's the way to be cool and fun.

I think I'm fun! I have fun, and I believe I'm cool (even though my temperature is a 98.2). Anyway, I think I'm a fun person.  I'm playing Trivial Pursuit right now. It's mad fun!

Honestly, why do bars, clubs, drinking, and sex have to be the thing? Why is that being social or being popular? I don't know. Neither should i care.

I just came to honestly ask the question anyway.

Are there any people like me, teetotalers and non-drinkers? How do asexuals represent really in terms of alcohol use and consumption? Do you use or drink alcohol or are you like me, a complete teetotaler? Let me know.

• Like 7

I have touched my tongue to some alcohols, just to taste, but never drank any and never been drunk, or even tipsy. Never smoked cigarettes. Never been high (except one time I took oxy a doctor gave me due to a medical issue and felt awful and threw the bottle away after one dose!)  ...

I do occasionally drink energy drinks and I like tea. But, that's about it. 

26 minutes ago, tygersongbird said:

Honestly, why do bars, clubs, drinking, and sex have to be the thing? Why is that being social or being popular? I don't know. Neither should i care.

Removal of inhibitions and a focus on primal indulgence, as a means of escapism from the constraints of an ordered, law-abiding society.

But I digress.

You're really not missing out on the alcohol thing, and it sounds like you know that anyway :P I did the whole binge-drinking, vomit-in-a-gutter, wake-up-hugging-a-toilet-bowl nonsense when I was younger and it is just sooo....not worth it. I don't drink any more because I don't like what drinking does to me. Not just the hangovers, but I find it sends me to a very bad place mentally and emotionally. I might have a pint of lager shandy once a month socially, if that, but generally I've given alcohol up.

Never used recreational drugs, no interest in doing so.

Caffeine is a regular intake for me, I do have a couple of coffees at work, and more tea than is probably healthy when at home, but I don't know if I'm dependent on it. I guess I'd find out if I ever went cold turkey.

• Like 2

Hey! I do drink alcohol but not nearly as often as people seem to (or my friends would like me to!) I do drink and get drunk on occasion, but I don't like clubbing and will only do so if my entire friendship group is going out (as a bunch of my friends seem to only do this as the main source of entertainment, and I don't wish to miss everything all the time!)

However I don't particularly casually drink, I fail to see the point of expensive beverages that taste worse than cheaper ones if there is no intention of actually getting drunk. Perhaps I might indulge in the occasional cider, but 'going for a pint' is a concept rather strange to me. 

I don't smoke at all, try drugs or caffeine. To be frank, I'm hyper enough without caffeine and would probably run a mile if I so much as sipped a coffee! 

I have no idea why clubbing is so popular. It's inhibited humans dancing to songs, that I don't even know, in hot rooms touching up on everyone...?!? Why is that so popular?!?

• Like 1

Fellow teetotaler here

I would think it had to do with my practicing Tibetan Buddhism...however I think that was just a natural outflow of my core personality.

It helped that I spent my 'formative years' in the "Eastern Culture" when my dad had a 8 year contact abroad. From what you describe you would have loved it there and fit right in. I too have never understood the obsession with "getting totally wasted bro..." 

The peer pressure to drink was quite obvious at college...and I avoided those events like the plague. I would prefer to spend my time at a coffee shop instead of "bar hopping" as my other friends were into.

Even in my 'professional/graduate' OT program my cohort (40 students) would always 'celebrate' the end of the semester by going to the pub/bar and get drunk... and some of them would even drive...Ironic considering these are the future 'health care workers'

I would always pull the "religion card" and not show up to the drinking holes..funny enough in our cohort there was an Indian girl who was a devout Hindu and she would skip out as well. We would joke with each other that we will just cash out our Karma chips instead of getting drunk with them.

Now while I am okay with some coffee its not my preferred hot beverage - that would be Tusli Tea - and that is more of a "Herb" (Holy Basil) than a true tea 

It has been used for quite some time in Ayurveda (traditional Indian/South Asian medicine)

You are not the only one...I often ponder if I am seen as the most boring person ever...

funny enough what makes you and I "boring and not cool" here in the "West" - we would be seen as "saintly" in the East (South Asia and such)

One thing Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism have in common is a strict avoidance of all intoxicants (I dont think coffee/tea fall under that)

In your post you have touched on several things that I have noticed about here as well...and that is precisely why I know I have to somehow make it back Eastward... now to just figure out the details and leave all this non-sense behind.

I belong  there - the land that gave birth to Hinduism, Jainism and Buddhism. Where my nature would be in tune with the culture, where being a quiet, serious Aro-Ace would be appreciated and respected instead of mocked and ridiculed. A place where personalities like Mahatma Gandhi, St. Theresa of Calcutta (Mother Theresa)  and His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Dr. APJ Kalam have called home...that my friend is where I belong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir6pbZr6Oig

• Like 1
A shard of glass

I occasionally get drunk, but that's pretty much it... Well... Other than the coffees to keep me awake at work. But that's just me.

I rarely go out, I don't really have sex anymore since sex is a relationship thing for me, and I've been single for nearly 2 years, so that's that.

I wouldn't have sex with someone that I'm not in a relationship with, but nowadays, that's not normal... And it hurts a lot knowing that my future girlfriend will have likely slept with 10 different guys before me :/ But oh well... Maybe she doesn't exist :P And even though it saddens me greatly, I should really get used to being single since it's unlikely to change for the rest of my life :)

Caffeine is in so many other things outside of coffee and tea, it's quite likely you do consume it without realizing; there's caffeine in chocolate (not much) and also soda (which is everywhere). Although I can't say that I've never consumed alcohol at all, I only do so rarely - usually for special occasions like new year or independence day (and sometimes not even then), and never more than one glass. I also know I can't handle more than one cup of coffee in a day, otherwise I get all jittery and nauseous, so I usually avoid drinking it much at all - tea, on the other hand, is awesome in my opinion.

I've never smoked or done drugs, though I've personally seen what happens if it goes wrong - and is part of the reason why I don't because it's scary to watch, aside from the smell. Weed smells terrible, even when they've put the joint out an hour earlier, and my brother nearly ODed on something like LSD two years ago - it was the most frightening thing to watch as they wheeled the stretcher out of the room...

Personally, I don't really think that aces and abstaining from addictive substances have any more correlation than it does with allosexuals. Either of my parents drinking, for example, was an incredibly rare occurrence; my mother refused to smoke, and dad quit after nearly setting the whole house on fire one winter. It simply depends on the person, especially if there was a bad experience involved.

I do agree on the disconnect with the obsession with the "party scene", though. The few times I've been in a bar was to connect with other history majors and discuss the subject rationally. None of us were drunk... I don't get how that would be fun, I mean, aren't hangovers meant to be painful or something?

Some parties are awesome, though - like those themed ones where you act out a part or solve a problem or puzzle. It's just too bad they're more popular for kids and teenagers than they are for adults, which I think is a shame.

• Like 1

I don't drink, smoke or do drugs. I'm only 19, and I've never been in a social situation in which I had the opportunity to do these things (I've been mostly a loner through my adolescence.) The few times I've tasted alcohol, I didn't like it.

• Like 2

I don't drink, although I was often urged to by various people throughout my younger days (haven't had it happen in quite a while now, though, so that's good). I don't do drugs or smoke anything. I do consume some caffeine (not coffee, but I drink tea sometimes and enjoy chocolate). But don't need it to start my day or anything.

I'm way funnier when I'm drinking. :lol:

But! That said, I have a lot of friends who don't drink/smoke/use anything (except caffeine - necessity in my field, it sometimes seems :lol:). They're just as fun and engaging and wonderful to be around as any of my friends who don't do those things.

• Like 3

The name to it is relatively new to me. (Where I’m originally from, the average person doesn’t smoke or do drugs anyway so there’s absolutely no need to specify that.) One of the biggest culture shocks in the UK is the normality of smoking and how many “normal” people have used drugs. And the huge drinking culture is also shocking. I think if I had grown up here, I would be a “teetotaller.” I’ve never been drunk but I do consume alcohol. I like cocktails and the occasional red wine. But I’ve never had more than 2 or 3 within 24 hours for several(!) reasons. Smoking is just... I don’t understand? Why would you???? Illicit drugs are much the same. I don’t get it. It’s insane to me that people do that to themselves. Sounds like self-harm to me. I hate drunks. Drunk people make me hugely uncomfortable. I don’t see the appeal. 

Tyger Songbird
2 hours ago, Verbosoul said:

Removal of inhibitions and a focus on primal indulgence, as a means of escapism from the constraints of an ordered, law-abiding society.

But I digress.

You're really not missing out on the alcohol thing, and it sounds like you know that anyway :P I did the whole binge-drinking, vomit-in-a-gutter, wake-up-hugging-a-toilet-bowl nonsense when I was younger and it is just sooo....not worth it. I don't drink any more because I don't like what drinking does to me. Not just the hangovers, but I find it sends me to a very bad place mentally and emotionally. I might have a pint of lager shandy once a month socially, if that, but generally I've given alcohol up.

Never used recreational drugs, no interest in doing so.

Caffeine is a regular intake for me, I do have a couple of coffees at work, and more tea than is probably healthy when at home, but I don't know if I'm dependent on it. I guess I'd find out if I ever went cold turkey.

Well, I have had a lot of people try to say to me that I might be "too good", really. People are really suspicious of straight-laced people, it seems. People have thought that I was really "too pure" because I didn't do anything like that. It's human nature, I guess, to assume that someone must have some sort of 'vice' or something that makes them normal. If you don't, then you must be hiding something in the closet. It's kind of like assuming you're gay. If you don't have sex (with a woman), then they conclude, you're gay. If you're not a drinker or a smoker, then you must be really sheltered or really religious in a goofy way. It's strange. It's like people can't just live differently.

• Like 3
Perilous Poozer

I’ve tried most things in the past and I’m drinking a glass of wine right now so should perhaps butt out...  but I know plenty of people who don’t drink alcohol or coffee or who have cut various other things out of their lives for all sorts of reasons including health, addiction, work commitments, and sometimes just because they plain don’t like it anymore. It in no way affects how much fun they are to be around or how much fun they have in company! I spent many, many great nights out in clubs completely sober, it’s not necessary to go out and get trashed. “Teetotal” has such a  negative connotation. I think you’ll find plenty of people abstain from all sorts of things without any particular moral stance.

Tyger Songbird
2 hours ago, Zatarra said:

Fellow teetotaler here

I would think it had to do with my practicing Tibetan Buddhism...however I think that was just a natural outflow of my core personality.

It helped that I spent my 'formative years' in the "Eastern Culture" when my dad had a 8 year contact abroad. From what you describe you would have loved it there and fit right in. I too have never understood the obsession with "getting totally wasted bro..." 

I saw that garbage epitomize in "Frat boy culture" that I avoided like the plague in college. I would prefer to spend my time at a coffee shop instead of "bar hopping" as my other friends were into.

Even in my 'professional/graduate' OT program my cohort (40 students) would always 'celebrate' the end of the semester by going to the pub/bar and get drunk... and some of them would even drive...Ironic considering these are the future 'health care workers'

I would always pull the "religion card" and not show up to the drinking holes..funny enough in our cohort there was an Indian girl who was a devout Hindu and she would skip out as well. We would joke with each other that we will just cash out our Karma chips instead of getting drunk with them.

Now while I am okay with some coffee its not my preferred hot beverage - that would be Tusli Tea - and that is more of a "Herb" (Holy Basil) than a true tea 

It has been used for quite some time in Ayurveda (traditional Indian/South Asian medicine)

You are not the only one...I often ponder if I am seen as the most boring person ever...

funny enough what makes you and I "boring and not cool" here in the "West" - we would be seen as "saintly" in the East (South Asia and such)

One thing Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism have in common is a strict avoidance of all intoxicants (I dont think coffee/tea fall under that)

This is precisely why I know I have to somehow make it Eastward... now to just figure out the details and leave all this non-sense behind.

I belgon there - the land that gave birth to Hinduism, Jainism and Buddhism. Where my nature would be in tune with the culture, where being a quiet, serious Aro-Ace would be appreciated and respected instead of mocked and ridiculed. A place where personalities like Mahatma Gandhi, St. Theresa of Calcutta (Mother Theresa)  and His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Dr. APJ Kalam have called home...that my friend is where I belong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir6pbZr6Oig

Much respect, sir. I am personally not a Buddhist, but I like you am a faithful follower and practice my faith as well. I personally am a Christian, and while I know that drinking alcohol personally isn't a sin (rather the drunkenness), I personally never wanted to drink. It was like another reason to not care. Also, i had experiences like yours. I knew a lot of people who would drink in college, or people would drink at work. I never joined in, and people would immediately laugh at me for the longest. Because I was no fun. In case you don't know, people really like to bond over drinking way too much, in my opinion. It's like the bar is Club Med. So, I don't know. People also acted like I was weird because I wouldn't drink with them, which led to a lot of workplace rumors or ostracization from coworkers. A lot of people thought I was "being all high and mighty", thinking I was better than them. People didn't want to hang out with me, because they felt I would judge them.  

• Like 4

Not drinking, smoking, or doing recreational drugs is a definitive part of my character and reputation. I’m known for being rather straight-laced, and, consequently, some people think I’m too uptight. I’m just not really interested in any of those activities, and I’m rather defiant in the face of peer pressure. If people think I’m a killjoy who has no interest in sex, drugs, alcohol, etc., I could care less. My relatives encourage me to drink and stuff, but I choose to adhere to my own path. Milk, water, and apple juice is all I need (esp. milk 🥛).

Like some people have mentioned, you sometimes catch **** for being drug and alcohol-free (not to mention being a virgin). Occasionally, people think you’re either a killjoy, or a psycho who must enjoy something really crazy cause you don’t have any obvious vices 😕.

• Like 3

My housemate said I should go to the local club (which is literally right behind my house) before I go back to America in June. I laughed. I went to a nightclub once about a year ago. It had just opened for the night so it was an older crowd and very few people there. But everyone was dancing and drinking. I loathe dancing. I don’t drink much, as I stated above. Strangers went up to each other to flirt. I was already in a relationship and would have zero interest in strange men anyway. (Not that it was an issue - I was easily the ugliest and grumpiest there.) The music was so loud, I couldn’t even hear what was actually playing. (I’m mildly HoH.) Nor could I hear any voices with the music pounding. It was too dark to attempt lip reading. You could’ve recited the Gettysburg Address in iambic pentameter or a recipe for egg salad for all I knew. It was intensely boring and uncomfortable. So no, I won’t be visiting the club behind the house at any point. They’re actually what my nightmares are made of.

• Like 3

Been there done that with the alcohol and drugs, glad I stopped cause it was getting crazy.  For a while I guess I figured I'd fit in and it would help social anxiety, but it was a mess for me.  It's great that some people can be moderate or just have a night of excess here or there and otherwise be fine, but that wasn't my story.  My life's a lot less topsy-turvey now.  Sometimes I go too heavy on caffeine and need to cut back.

• Like 2
Galactic Turtle
4 hours ago, tygersongbird said:

Are there any people like me, teetotalers and non-drinkers? How do asexuals represent really in terms of alcohol use and consumption? Do you use or drink alcohol or are you like me, a complete teetotaler? Let me know.

Teetotaler? I've never heard of this word but given your post I'm in that category.

I never understood the draw towards such things. I always thought coffee smelled terrible but I chugged this chilled drink thing my friend gave to me at a music festival in high school because I was dying of thirst thinking it was a chocolate type drink. Thirty seconds later it felt like my heart was about to pound out of my body and my mouth was crying from bitterness.

For this same friend's 21st birthday (two weeks after my 21st birthday) I said I'd take a sip of whatever she was having. After taking a sip of drink number five I'd satiated my alcohol curiosity for life. Tasted like piss, dried up my mouth, smelled bad, and made my skin feel clammy. 

Don't even get me started on smoking. In my book, caffeine, alcohol, and tobacco are all drugs in and of themselves, just for some reason they're socially acceptable. My sister literally started shaking when her afternoon dose of tea was delayed a couple hours. My dad can't form words before his morning coffee. My friend describes having urges to drink.

That's why when my disinterest in sex persisted I didn't think too much of it. All the things people said I'd grow up to enjoy seemed just as pointless to me in adulthood as it did when I was a kid.

Fun fact: Despite all this I started working in nightclubs when I was nineteen. That's the music industry for ya. Free Shirley Temples every night! :P

• Like 3

Another teetotaler checking in! I never drink, smoke, or do any drugs in general. I also avoid caffiene. c: I personally find these things a waste of money and another thing to worry about in terms of health... The benefits that someone would typically say these things have don't do much for me either. Alcohol being hailed as a social lubricant, for instance... If I'm having that much trouble opening up to other people and relaxing around them, alcohol is just putting a band-aid on a bigger problem. A very costly band-aid at that. Plus it kinda tastes bad and I don't feel like I "need" to acquire a taste for it, like everyone says I will if I "drink enough". Why hate the experience until, well, whenever I do finally acquire this taste? Could be years.

• Like 1

As for caffeine, I don’t see much harm usually. I love tea and coffee - both of which naturally contain caffeine - and it perks me up when I’m exhausted but can’t sleep, like at work.

Nah I'm a teetotaler. No smoking either. Have tried some things and never liked any of it. 99% of what I drink is water. Alcohol tastes awful and coffee is worse.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Laplace said:

Not drinking, smoking, or doing recreational drugs is a definitive part of my character and reputation. I’m known for being rather straight-laced, and, consequently, some people think I’m too uptight...

Yes. I've never understood that, either. I like watching and playing sports; other people like watching sports. So, how can they think I'm boring just because I don't like going to bars, drinking, smoking, etc.? I'm just health conscientious.

• Like 4
Tyger Songbird
2 hours ago, Graceful said:

My housemate said I should go to the local club (which is literally right behind my house) before I go back to America in June. I laughed. I went to a nightclub once about a year ago. It had just opened for the night so it was an older crowd and very few people there. But everyone was dancing and drinking. I loathe dancing. I don’t drink much, as I stated above. Strangers went up to each other to flirt. I was already in a relationship and would have zero interest in strange men anyway. (Not that it was an issue - I was easily the ugliest and grumpiest there.) The music was so loud, I couldn’t even hear what was actually playing. (I’m mildly HoH.) Nor could I hear any voices with the music pounding. It was too dark to attempt lip reading. You could’ve recited the Gettysburg Address in iambic pentameter or a recipe for egg salad for all I knew. It was intensely boring and uncomfortable. So no, I won’t be visiting the club behind the house at any point. They’re actually what my nightmares are made of.

See, I never really go to nightclubs, ever. I am not the type, honestly. In my culture, nightclubs are like the hottest places to be at. Like Friday & Saturday nights are for the clubs, so you can get buzzed and hit on people. Because of that, I don't like going. Often, the only way you can dance is if you are basically "dry humping" someone in close proximity. I would rather just dance at home, to songs I like to hear, not someone saying "I want to hump this girl."

Tyger Songbird
31 minutes ago, donttouchme said:

Nah I'm a teetotaler. No smoking either. Have tried some things and never liked any of it. 99% of what I drink is water. Alcohol tastes awful and coffee is worse.

I drink mostly water or Orange juice, really. It helps with my singing voice to sing water.

if only I was a dragon

I'm a fairly regular coffee drinker myself, though never to excessive amounts or too late in the afternoon. Alcohol, drugs... yuck. Those'r right out. There are so many reasons not to.

For one, I'm almost phobic of consuming anything that is mind-altering or impairs my reason and clear judgement. I couldn't even handle laughing gas back when I got my wisdom teeth out. It was quite embarrassing, as the heart-rate monitor kept beeping faster and faster as I tried my hardest not to panic. Benadryl makes me feel immensely artificially sleepy and freaks me out. Thus, I don't ever want to even once try getting drunk. Nope.

• Like 1

I don’t ever consume anything containing alcohol, I don’t drink coffee, and I don’t smoke. I have never tried any of these things, and I have no desire to do so.

I think that not doing these things is a perfectly sensible and rational lifestyle choice, and it is the right one for me.

As for people who have the attitude “Well how do you enjoy yourself then?” or “You can’t be much fun then”… they must be pathetic, narrow minded people if they don’t know any way of enjoying themselves that doesn’t involve the consumption of alcohol.

• Like 2
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I'm teetotal, although I have tasted some of it (red/white wine/cider), but it doesn't appeal to me. By taste, I mean most of it was left on the table! the only member of my family who drank was my granddad , but everyone smoked, which put me off at a very early age,I couldn't see the point in that either (plus, my dad smoked himself into lung cancer and died when I was young).

As for drugs...well, never even wanted to. I probably value my consciousness too much! I like to know where I've been and what's going on around me. the best nights I've had didn't involve any of the above!:lol:

everywhere and nowhere

Depends.

Tobacco - 100% abstinent  - I haven't even tried it and I'm proud of it.

Alcohol - 99% abstinent. My alcohol consumption is exactly zero (the last time I tried it was over 10 years ago), but yes, I have tried it. Made sure that this taste is repulsive. But each time I see or hear drunk people I'm proud that I've never been drunk.

Caffeine - not an abstinent. I hate the taste of coffee, I find energy drinks too strong, but I'm a teamaniac. And to be honest, for me personally treating caffeine like a Bad Drug To Be Avoided is a big exaggeration. What does it do? Just makes you a bit more alert. Is it some horrible thing?

Strong stimulants and depressants - 100% abstinent.

However, I couldn't call myself a teetotaller because I ocasionally use psychedelics. Not recently, but I consider it an important and valuable experience. Because of that I also don't share the generalized belief that "Drugs Are Bad". Drugs are tools. Some of them (such as strong stimulants) aren't very useful and I wouldn't recommend them. But generally, people have a right to use them. They should never be criminalized for altering their thoughtfeeling if there is no harm to other people. Drugs should be strictly regulated, not banned.

Btw, an interesting thing. Probably a lot of people have heard about the study by the Independent Scientific Committee on Drugs, which showed that alcohol is THE most harmful drug. On the other hand, the harm potential of psychedelics is vastly exaggerated in popular opinion - they are about as dangerous as some somewhat risky, but not even "extreme" sports such as cycling or skiing. I just don't like the hypocrisy inherent in applying completely different measures of permissible harm to things classified as "recreational drugs", "medicines", "legal stimulants", "sports", "everyday activities"...

I don't drink alcohol or smoke (or handle sigarette smoke well - most often it makes me cough). I drink mostly tea, and, at work, coffee - would be difficult to stay awake without it. I like coffee, edpecially with milk, but try to avoid drinking it at home, because then it would maybe be too much. 

I drank socially at the latter end of my teens. I didn't enjoy it at the time (nor the aftermath!), and haven't touched alcohol since (so about eighteen years since I last drank). 

I've never smoked myself, although I have been exposed to a lot of second-hand smoke from parents and in places of work (before smoking in public was banned, of course). 

Regards drugs, never touched. 

So yes, I am seen as the 'boring one' at most get-togethers and also as the designated driver! But that's fine with me.