How many languages do you know?

DarkShadow005

scarletlatitude

Fluent English, conversational French, "Dora the Explorer" level Spanish, and like 3 words in Italian and Irish 

DarkShadow005
On 2/11/2018 at 11:28 PM, Fantastic Name said:

Does Pig Latin count?

Yes.

awkward_one34

English, Pig Latin, a little ASL, and my family speaks Spanish around the house but I wouldn't say I'm completely fluent because it's mainly casual terms.

• English

• Polish

• Italian

• Spanish (a little, I will understand the gist)

There are a couple languages I know words from, but that’s about it~

• 3 weeks later...

I speak English, Malay and Mandarin Chinese (although it's not good). As for writing, I can write English and sometimes Malay, but I have poor writing skill in Chinese.

TheBlueStreak

I only speak English, Spanish, and a tiny bit of French. That's about it. 

Cool! You guys know so many languages! Me, I speak Italian (obviously) and English, that's it.

I can read and understand French since it's fairly similar to the dialect I grew in, but I'm not good with speaking or writing in it. Latin... well I know Latin, but I'm not nearly enough good at it as I should be.

I am the master of sixteen languages!

and I am also the inventor of... 

Spoiler

Fourteen languages! 

I'm fluent in English, ASL, Braille, and I can decipher the worst of typos if that counts ;P

FallenAngel9799

Fluent in English, Hiligaynon, and Filipino.

Interestingly, I am more fluent in English than in my native language, Hiligaynon.

I speak 2 languages fluently and 2 other languages a little.

I'm planning to learn 3 others though.

so far now 4 and maybe in the future 7

I'm only fluent in English, unfortunately.  However, my second language is probably going to be Spanish as that's what I'm going to learn throughout my high school career.  I also want to learn around twenty additional languages.

I know English and Hindi fluently, I understand Gujrati and a little bit of Punjabi. I'm currently learning Spanish, but I have tons more languages I want to learn. 

• Czech (native) and I understand Slovak since it's really similar

• English (B2/C1 level)

• Russian (A2/B1 level)

• a little French - it almost shouldn't count xD

• Latin - had classes in school so.. I get the grammar, but without a dictionary I am completely useless.

I want to learn sign language (not sure which one yet) and I want to get better at French and maybe Russian.. And I'd love to learn some Scandinavian language! Plus maybe Korean - my friend started learning that one recently :))

On 16. 3. 2018 at 5:27 AM, SkelBea18 said:

I'm fluent in English, ASL, Braille, and I can decipher the worst of typos if that counts ;P

ASL and Braille - you are simply interested or did something made you learn? If you don't mind me asking.. And how did the process go with the learning - I take any s. l. takes really long to learn, right?

So many languages on here!

I personally speak/read/write French, German, and English. You can talk at me in Dutch and I can probably understand most of it, just not reply back. I'd say i can decipher written Spanish (similarities with French and I know a bit of vocab). Currently learning Japanese, i'd say I'm at a level where i understand that something is being talked about, just not necessarily what is (like I recognize common words). I really want to learn a Scandinavian language at some point too 

• 3 weeks later...
ôÿē èîęēú ïė ēôēįîûôø

I am fluent in English (native language) and can speak French and Spanish pretty well, however I think I'd be better if I had a chance to practice. I could also speak some Portuguese and Italian with the help of a dictionary and grammar book. I also took a year of Mandarin in high school, but with lack of practice have forgotten most of it. 

While we're speaking of languages, does anyone here know about a guy named Benny Lewis?

No one has mentioned Welsh which must be one of the strangest languages ever spoken (which probably helps to explain why no one has mentioned it.) I speak a little Welsh. Once I had a great holiday in a remote part of the Czech Republic on four words which translate as 'Another beer please. Thank you.' 

My first language is English.

@MarkétaI can remember how to say the words but not how to spell them : jeste pivo prosim dekuji (?) Apologies. Yours is a very difficult language to learn with all its cases, but I did try as I feel it's polite to try to say at least hello, please and thank you in the language of a country one is travelling in.

njosnavelin

Merhaba! Türkçe dil çok az biliyorum ama ben öğrenıyour.

Başka Türkler var mı?

I am proud to come up with that sentence on my own. I am a native English speaker. It seems to be in a high demand in other distance countries like Turkey. I have benefited from Conversation Exchange in ways I never would have expected. I highly recommend it for anyone who wants a partner to practice. It has helped me grow in learning Turkish.

English, fluently.

Russian, speak fluently, but I read it like an elementary schooler. >_<

Japanese, read somewhat, can hold a very very basic conversation.

French, can read kinda, can speak kinda, can understand pretty well.

Finnish and English. I'm not satisfied with my English, I don't think I sound natural. I also wish I would know more languages

1. English (fluent)
2. Japanese (intermediate)
3. French (intermediate)

4. Sinhala (only basic listening skills)
5. Hindi (only really basic listening skills)
6. Korean (only basic reading skills)

On 16. 4. 2018 at 1:11 AM, Tunhope said:

I speak a little Welsh. Once I had a great holiday in a remote part of the Czech Republic on four words which translate as 'Another beer please. Thank you.' 

My first language is English.

@MarkétaI can remember how to say the words but not how to spell them : jeste pivo prosim dekuji (?) Apologies. Yours is a very difficult language to learn with all its cases, but I did try as I feel it's polite to try to say at least hello, please and thank you in the language of a country one is travelling in.

You remember it correctly!! "Ještě pivo, prosím. Děkuji." 

You're right, Czech is difficult xD But I am sure that everyone appreciates when foreigners try to use the languague of the country they're in. You have no idea how pleased I was after reading your post :')

And I agree, I would love to visit Wales sometime in the future. Galeic languagues and English dialects have something about them..

@Tunhope Mae Cymraeg yn ddiddorol. Dw i’n dysgu Cymraeg ers mis Ionawr (ond dydw i ddim yn dda). (was that even correct? No idea)

Other than currently learning Welsh, I speak English (shocker, I know), German, Japanese, French (not that well, unfortunately - I constantly forget grammar), and I understand a bit of Spanish (at least when it’s written).

@Adachiku You are much better than I am! I understood perfectly and it looked pretty good to me. For any one else who might be interested, Adachiku has been learning Welsh since January and says that Welsh is interesting. Are you learning the northern or the southern variety? They seem very different.

@Tunhope My book teaches the southern variety, so I’ll stick with that, but I try to remember the northern varieties, too. I’ve been to the South a couple of times, but never met anyone who spoke Welsh. So I think I might go to the North next year. Knowing northern varieties should come in handy :)

• 5 months later...
J. van Deijck

English, Polish, used to know more of Finnish and Swedish, and my goal is to learn Dutch properly. so far I can quite understand what I read, but not all of it, and I don't really know how to speak.

In addition to my native language (Finnish), I speak just English and Swedish. I'm a lot more fluent in English than in Swedish - I still struggle quite a lot with the latter.

• 3 weeks later...
DarkShadow005
On 10/1/2018 at 9:22 AM, Lemonsky said:

In addition to my native language (Finnish), I speak just English and Swedish. I'm a lot more fluent in English than in Swedish - I still struggle quite a lot with the latter.

Why?

Archived