How many languages do you know?

DarkShadow005

DarkShadow005

I can say I know 3 languages.

1. English
  2. Spanish.
  3. Brazilian Portuguese.

I can say I know English, Spanish, and Brazilian Portuguese because I can understand what I read in Brazilian Portuguese.

Sadly just English. I kinda wish I hadn't given up on a second language in earlier years of school.

(Unless you count computer languages, and then I know like four or five) :P

NotGojoSatoru

I can speak/read/write English, Hindi, Maithili.

I can speak in Tamil.

I am trying to learn German and Japanese.

And then there is always C++, C#, Python and Java :P 

Fluently, would be English, French and Creole (from my Haiti roots).

I can also speak very basic Tagalog, and Spanish.

Now if we're talking cuss words, I can cuss like a pro in in 11 languages (from German, to Cambodian and so on). Horrible for breaking the ice, so its a useless thing to have learned, haha. Not sure why you always want to learn the bad words first.

Fluent in English and I can read enough Japanese that I can usually figure out what they are saying.  Spoken Japanese is still too fast for me to decipher unfortunately.

Fluent? Just German (native) and English (Pretty good I think - at least no one's complained yet that I'm hard to understand since I moved to the US ;D)

I really only know English. I did take two years of Spanish in high school and then took one semester of it in college, and still remember some things, but not really enough to have a full on conversation in Spanish.

-----------------

I'm fluent in German and English. I'm ok in French, but it's hard for me to understand when someone speaks.

AlbinoAlbatross

Native English

And some conversation level Icelandic. Mostly small talk stuff at the moment. Trying to learn more, but there aren't many resources out there.

Don't remember a bit of Spanish from when they made me learn it in High School.

One, hopefully, going on two. I so badly want to be fluent in German.

I'm fluent in Norwegian and English, and I can understand written and (slowly) spoken German. I don't count being able to understand Swedish and Danish, because they're so similar to Norwegian. 

SparrowFliesSouthForWinter

Sadly I'm only fluent in English, but I can read GCSE-level Latin, and I'm studying French, which I can read fairly well, and I'm passable at writing, but my conversational speaking and listening are fairly abysmal tbh

I really want to be fluent in German, French, Japanese and Italian though

Unfortunately, just English. But, I'm learning Spanish and American Sign Language.

DarkShadow005
10 hours ago, SparrowFliesSouthForWinter said:

Sadly I'm only fluent in English, but I can read GCSE-level Latin, and I'm studying French, which I can read fairly well, and I'm passable at writing, but my conversational speaking and listening are fairly abysmal tbh

I really want to be fluent in German, French, Japanese and Italian though.

Do you know this website called Duolingo? You can learn some languages there. 

I'm currently learning Greek through Duolingo.

I'm a native English speaker, fairly fluent in Japanese (both written and spoken) and can understand written and (not too quickly) spoken French and German (I barely ever use those these days, so I've lost a fair amount). I also know a tiny amount (like 3 sentences plus some random words) of Chinese and an even tinier amount of Latin.

English, plus school French. 

just english and japanese. and meme, i guess lol. i swear net-speak is its own dialect, though.

English and about four words of Russian.  I've studied others - Spanish, Latin, French, and a little German - but I haven't practiced or retained much of them. 

Ideally I would love to be able to read in multiple languages.

On 2/10/2018 at 2:37 PM, Ace of Mind said:

Sadly just English. I kinda wish I hadn't given up on a second language in earlier years of school.

(Unless you count computer languages, and then I know like four or five) :P

Yep, same... C#, SQL, Powershell...

I can also read sheet music, which I like to think counts for something.  :lol:  

Fluent in Polish and English.

I understand Japanese to some extent (including Classical Japanese and Kansai-ben) and I can decipher Czech, but I can't speak it.

I sometimes get basic sentences in written Mandarin and I can say something in Russian or German.

I also talk in science.

I barely speak my first and only language, English. I took 8 years of Spanish but it never stuck - I can only say I’m familiar with it. I went up to honors French V in high school and have been to Quebec several times and France a few times. But because it’s an almost nonexistent language in the US, I’ve forgotten almost all of it. I was never good at languages. I struggle to memorize and understand. If I don’t use it, it disappears. I’ve tried using Duolingo too to try to work back up to being conversational but again, it doesn’t stick. Being good at languages is like a superpower to me that I wish I had!

I speak fluent English and basic Chinese. I used to speak fluent French. I learned Spanish at school for three years to no avail. Plus, I tried to teach myself Gaelic - why? I have no clue.

Archived