Out at work

k2005fishy

I came out socially at work as my chosen name.  I am such a happy person right now! My supervisors are willing to help me in any way to prevent dysphoria from work related things as I work in a very gendered environment. They are all working with me on protocols to be more gender neutral.  Let's have cake for all to celebrate:cake::cake::cake:!!!

That's great news! I'm really glad your supervisors are being supportive, and hope it will improve your work environment for yourself and others. :cake::cake:

That's so cool! Alot of people find it difficult at work to be who they are

I was lucky too work provided the positive environment for me as well. I was able to wear breast forms, in preparation for my breast surgery. They were quite accomendating to me

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
3 hours ago, k2005fishy said:

I came out socially at work as my chosen name.  I am such a happy person right now! My supervisors are willing to help me in any way to prevent dysphoria from work related things as I work in a very gendered environment. They are all working with me on protocols to be more gender neutral.  Let's have cake for all to celebrate:cake::cake::cake:!!!

Congratulations!! :D

Congrats! It's a nice feeling to have everyone recognize you by the right gender/pronouns, and I'm glad they all seem to have responded so well so far.

I'm in a weird spot where I'm somewhat stealth at my workplace, but at the same time not. I teach at multiple campuses, and I'm pretty much stealth at the main campus, but some of the people at the remote campus know. I recently spoke at Harvard about transgender musicians, so people often asked me about my research, and when they ask why I chose to start exploring that topic, I sometimes just say "personal experience" and that becomes my coming-out. At the remote campus, my boss, one of the secretaries, and one of my students learned of my gender identity that way. They're all super cool about it too. It's possible that my boss/colleagues/students at the main campus could have figured it out by now too, but nobody's said anything, and since I'm generally pretty cis passing, it's not really a big deal :P

They have changed my name on my name tag, refer to me as the correct pronouns,  and also use my chosen name when speaking to me!! :D

That's really awesome! I'm really afraid of being out at my current job, though I'm trying to build up the courage for them to at least use my chosen (eventually to be new legal) name. I mean, it's not that uncommon right? For people to go by a different name and even have that on their name tag, whether they're cis or not.

Anyway, that's super great that it has worked out for you! :cake: 

@SkyWorld it isn't uncommon. Many cisgender people go by a different name than their given name. That was also how I determined it would be ok to go by my chosen name vs. My given name. I work with many people who have really long names and go by something shorter. 

I totally understand not being out in a workplace too. I have a 2nd job and I wouldn't ever consider being out there. Not safe.  

Archived