2018 Winter Games in Pyongchang

Piotrek

Do you intend to watch? If so, which sports/athlets are you going to follow?

I'm going to tune in for the ski jumping events, the first of them today (if the weather permits). Other than that, I have no idea. I don't even know if Poland has any realistic medal chances, other than in ski jumping, as I haven't been following the news.

It's national outrage here. We lost the opening game in skiing, to the Swedes!

I love the figure skating. Adam and Gus (who is not a skater boi) are strutting all their American queer glory and I. Am. Living. For. It.

But on a serious note - figure skating is beautiful to watch. Day 1 highlight was Canada's pair routine to With Or Without You.

So we have one siler now, and we're all dissaponted :P We're too full of ourselves during winter olympics. But it will be fun to watch, it's only a shame Northug and Bjørndalen can't participate :(

I'll be watching the many types of skiing and alpine for the most part. 

girlwiththelongskirt

I'm definately watching speedskating/short track! The Netherlands just won gold, silver and brons on the 3km for woman, and came second on the 1500m short track for man so it was a very good day.

@Char-lotte99

The Netherlands sure found its niche during the Winter Games :D I remember seeing the overall medal list for the Netherlands and it was overwhelmingly speed skating.

I love the winter olympics. Annoying it isn't in my time zone too much. Much better than the summer ones. (Truth, I know no names of the athletes) I just enjoy watching it! 

A bit of a disappointment today, as 2 Polish ski jumpers, including the Sochi champion Kamil Stoch, placed just outside the top 3. On the other hand, with those wind conditions , it's good that the event was even completed. It went well beyond the scheduled time. Gold for Wellinger from Germany.

21 minutes ago, Piotrek said:

A bit of a disappointment today, as 2 Polish ski jumpers, including the Sochi champion Kamil Stoch, placed just outside the top 3. On the other hand, with those wind conditions , it's good that the event was even completed. It went well beyond the scheduled time. Gold for Wellinger from Germany.

We (GB) don't tend to do too well in it but I guess there is no natural place for practise and to take up the sports here. 

@(Engima)

Yeah, I guess so, though I know of at least 2 ski jumpers competing for GB  in low-level competitions, though I remember reading that they were in fact Americans competing for GB (presumably they train in US too).

By the way, when I was trying to tag you I kept writing "Enigma" and was surprises that the name wouldn't show up. I had to take a second look at your screenname :D

Knight of Cydonia

I like watching the Winter Olympics because Canada actually does well at them, lol

I probably like watching the Figure Skating the most, but of course I'll be tuning into the hockey too. 

17 hours ago, Piotrek said:

@(Engima)

Yeah, I guess so, though I know of at least 2 ski jumpers competing for GB  in low-level competitions, though I remember reading that they were in fact Americans competing for GB (presumably they train in US too).

By the way, when I was trying to tag you I kept writing "Enigma" and was surprises that the name wouldn't show up. I had to take a second look at your screenname :D

Oh yeah! Thank you for spotting my typo! That was not intentional haha. It doesn't sound too when said out loud the way I typed it either! I shall change that I think!

Alejandrogynous

I've been following the figure skating. Mirai Nagasu nailed that triple axel!

I LOVE Winter Olympics... I try to watch every day.  :wub:  The women's and men's halfpipe snowboarding today was awesome.  Rooting for Shaun White tomorrow, though honestly the top 5 men were all very close in terms of scores.

I LOVE the winter o’s. I like it more than the summer ones. The time difference where I am is so annoying, it’s so hard in this digital age to not be spoiled. :angry: My fave sports are figure skating, skiing and ski jumping. 

Good start og the day. Woke up to 1 gold and 2 silver, then watched 10km getting gold :D

flagsforhippos

Wasn't planning on watching the games but was flicking through the channels at 1 am one night and found myself glued to the snowboarding

I've been following all the speed skating so far (bit disappointed in the number of medals though... :lol:

I'm watching it on Danish TV, and the commentators do definitely not like the Dutch skaters, or at least their occasional dominance in getting medals :P. Pretty fun to listen to though, especially when throwing shade at Sven Kramer's inner lane debacle from 2010

scarletlatitude

Snowboarding :P #MURICA 

Also ice hockey, even though the NHL couldn't play this time. I still really like hockey. 

The other day I was at a place that was showing the Olympics broadcast at the time, and they had on curling. Sorry Canada, but curling is boring. It takes so long and is so slow. 

And, finally, a medal for Poland. Gold for Kamil Stoch, men's ski jumping event at the large hill.:D

My favorites are Bobsleigh, luge and skeleton. Going 100+ km/h down an icy tube, can't get much better than that :D 

14 minutes ago, ev13 said:

My favorites are Bobsleigh, luge and skeleton. Going 100+ km/h down an icy tube, can't get much better than that :D 

Especially headfirst :ph34r:

48 minutes ago, Piotrek said:

Especially headfirst :ph34r:

Oh yeah, takes a special type of person to pick that as a sport. 

And there, no1 spot for medals :D Just as much gold (9) as Germany, but 9 silver (Germany 4) and 7 bronze (Germany 4). Now We have by the far most medals with also the most silver and only one bronze behind Russia :D

Archived