Sharing a Bed Reduces Stress. Yawn.

WoodwindWhistler

WoodwindWhistler

As if we needed a study for this. Eyeroll. 

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/sleeping-next-person-you-love-reduces-stress-helps-health-alexander

To me, though, this comes across as extra pressure put on singles to find partners.

After all, where is a control group that tested the specific "romantic love" premise of this? Sleeping next to a non-partner person? Does that also produce oxytocin? I'd be willing to bet it does, in a lot of cases. Simply the presence of another person is probably soothing to a social species such as ourselves.

Yes, it is unfortunate that as a species that grew up surrounded by multiple members of a troupe to cuddle with in a friendly way, that we are missing this important element in our modern, walled-off lives. Dogs get to cuddle with whomever they want without navigating complicated social boundaries. But that admitted lack is not an excuse to push speeding up of coupling, where it takes time to build trust, and anxiety over not having achieved it, all of which is already fraught with enough heartache.

SorryNotSorry

I can understand how sharing a bed can relieve stress IF it's with a romantic partner, IF she doesn't fart, snore, or have a noisy gut, IF she lies still and don't shift around all night, and IF she allows me to caress the long hair on her head.

Bonus: I wouldn't mind her sucking her thumb in her sleep, if it comforts her.

Hugging my teddy bear works just as well !!! 

Yea...i still sleep with my teddy bear...dont judge !! 😛😛😛

A shard of glass

I actually really miss sharing a bed :c instead, I have an extra pillow and my blankie :3 and yes... I'm an adult male. At the end of the day, think of it like this:

Dogs often sleep with their teddy bears and blankies up until the day they depart to doggie heaven, cats sometimes do this too. We are also animals, we're not superior to innate behaviours. Give us a chance to be the animals that we are ^_^

16 minutes ago, Baggage_warrior said:

Dogs often sleep with their teddy bears and blankies up until the day they depart to doggie heaven, cats sometimes do this too. We are also animals, we're not superior to innate behaviours. Give us a chance to be the animals that we are ^_^

WELL SAID !!!!

I sleep with my teddy bear and people always make fun of me 😢

A shard of glass
Just now, lazypanda said:

WELL SAID !!!!

To be honest, my ex used to have her teddy bear, and I used to have my blankie :3 though... she wasn't very nice to me and we broke up... so I'm sad and I miss it :ccc

1 minute ago, Baggage_warrior said:

she wasn't very nice to me and we broke up

Awww...i'm sorry....

She was so lucky to find a man whos man enough to admit he sleeps with his blankie....her loss....

2 minutes ago, Baggage_warrior said:

so I'm sad and I miss it

you'll find someone better than her...dont feel bad....☺☺☺

My grandmother purposely hid my teddybear once....i'll never forgive her for that....i couldnt sleep without him...

A shard of glass
15 minutes ago, lazypanda said:

Awww...i'm sorry....

She was so lucky to find a man whos man enough to admit he sleeps with his blankie....her loss....

you'll find someone better than her...dont feel bad....☺☺☺

My grandmother purposely hid my teddybear once....i'll never forgive her for that....i couldnt sleep without him...

>:( nobody hides someone's teddy bear >:(

Though, if it makes you feel any better, there are people who are at the very top of their respective industries who still sleep with their teddies (can't name names though... but there is a race driver who I know has Mr Teddy :P)

3 minutes ago, Baggage_warrior said:

>:( nobody hides someone's teddy bear >:(

I know right !!! My grandma hates me anyways...

3 minutes ago, Baggage_warrior said:

but there is a race driver who I know has Mr Teddy :P)

Omgggg......thats so cool to know 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

arekathevampyre
8 minutes ago, Baggage_warrior said:

Aww no 😭

arekathevampyre
30 minutes ago, lazypanda said:

WELL SAID !!!!

*hugs* 

I sleep with a pile of plush toys !! :D

Be proud of it !!

A shard of glass
11 minutes ago, arekathevampyre said:

Aww no 😭

Just to clarify, it was @lazypanda's teddy that was taken >.<

RoseGoesToYale

I'm not sure who the author of this is, but it's rather badly written and he doesn't explain any of the studies he mentions, nor provide any evidence for most of his claims. His other articles seem to follow the same pattern. I wouldn't take too much stock in it. The consensus seems to be 50/50: it works well for some people and terribly for others.

I could never share a bed. I need room to flail around like an octopus, and I wouldn't want to put a partner through that hell.

I’m fine just sharing my bed with my cat and my husbando pillow.

2 hours ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

I'm not sure who the author of this is, but it's rather badly written and he doesn't explain any of the studies he mentions, nor provide any evidence for most of his claims. His other articles seem to follow the same pattern. I wouldn't take too much stock in it. The consensus seems to be 50/50: it works well for some people and terribly for others.

I could never share a bed. I need room to flail around like an octopus, and I wouldn't want to put a partner through that hell.

I agree.

Studies that make generalizations kind of bug me anyway. It might be less stressful for many people, but not everyone. People are not all the same.

I thought that was the whole point of studies, to waste a bunch of money+time proving stuff we either 1) already knew, or 2) is about something that's so highly subjective that any attempt to make a generalized statement about it is equally useless as #1.

Nah, being on the spectrum makes bed sharing hell for me. I’d rather have a body pillow any day.

sleeping beside someone would kind of stress me out. I like cuddling but trying to sleep beside someone would be a no for me.

my bed barely fits me and I like to spread out. 

They can sleep on the floor. :P

+1 for body pillows

and pets

The last person I shared a bed with once shoved me out of it and tried to stomp on my head. =) (He suffered from night terrors - it isn't his fault, he had no clue what he was doing.)

Now the worst I get is a puppy fart or two.

Joins the pet on bed brigade 

I sleep pretty well by myself, and better if my kid is in the bed with me. She's small enough to not take up much space, but doesn't move around too much and she makes for a good heater. 

My romantic partner, however, is awful to share a bed with and wakes me regularly. :rolleyes:

17 hours ago, Philip027 said:

I thought that was the whole point of studies, to waste a bunch of money+time proving stuff we either 1) already knew, or 2) is about something that's so highly subjective that any attempt to make a generalized statement about it is equally useless as #1.

Highly organized research is guaranteed to produce nothing new. Frank Herbert

As for sharing a bed, that would actually increase my stress as the few times I've shared beds at cons have proven.

WoodwindWhistler
23 hours ago, lazypanda said:

Hugging my teddy bear works just as well !!! 

Yea...i still sleep with my teddy bear...dont judge !! 😛😛😛

Me too, except mine is a hedgehog currently (had a panda bear previously)

23 hours ago, Baggage_warrior said:

I actually really miss sharing a bed :c instead, I have an extra pillow and my blankie :3 and yes... I'm an adult male. At the end of the day, think of it like this:

Animals also cuddle without it being sexual. Why can't humans seem to manage this? 

I used to have a cat that would arrange himself almost like a feather boa around my neck. It was very soothing, when it wasn't too stuffy. My current cat insists on sleeping at my feet most of the time. :( She does not like peoples' faces for some reason. 

I read somewhere that women tend to not like to share beds and can't sleep well with someone else beside them, while men is the opposite. I don't remember where I saw this, though...

WoodwindWhistler
10 minutes ago, Topi said:

I read somewhere that women tend to not like to share beds and can't sleep well with someone else beside them, while men is the opposite. I don't remember where I saw this, though...

Well anecdotally, I know my mom feels safer when my dad is around, whereas I don't think my dad really cares. 

Wouldn't be the first time they tend towards aspects of the other gender, though. 

I would like to see whoever investigated that to test whether women slept better with other women in the bed. Again, animals seem to manage that sort of thing just fine. Dang homophobia affecting platonic napping. 

15 minutes ago, WoodwindWhistler said:

had a panda bear previously)

Omg...soooo cool !!!! I love pandas(as you can see from my username)...but i can never find panda bears in shops!!! 😢

Archived