Anyone who speaks French? Est-ce qu'il y a quelqu'un qui parle Francais?

On 25/02/2018 at 10:07 PM, Acing It said:

Isn't Canadien French not very different to erm... French - French?

It’s as different as American English and British English 

• Like 1
On 2/26/2018 at 5:20 PM, Acing It said:

C'est tout a fait presque une langue differente?

Il y a plusieurs mots qui sont identiques. C'est comme la difference de l'Anglais d'Angleterre et les Etats Unis.

Si tu comprends le "slang" de base, tu te debrouilleras sans problemes.

La langue de base est identique, c'est les mots "slang" qui sont differents.

I find its the silly words you'll struggle with at first, slang wise.

I.E In England, I felt like a total idiot, in some towns asking for a "washroom" and getting blank stares. I in some felt I'd have to point at my crotch and motion how I look like, while urinating.

"Uh, a toilet?" *frantically trying to mention all the words I know for toilet* "I need to urinate o_o" OOOOH! A loo, mate? 

Experienced this in the Philippines, too. Anywhere else, I'd just say it in the local tongue.

Only to find out they call theirs "comfort rooms" or "CR's" for short.

In public toilets where they're paid, they'll often hand out toilet paper as you pay and ask: "Hi sir, are you looking to urinate or defecate?"

Not sure why I'm telling you this...

You're welcome.

2 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

I find its the silly words you'll struggle with at first, slang wise.

I.E In England, I felt like a total idiot, in some towns asking for a "washroom" and getting blank stares. I in some felt I'd have to point at my crotch and motion how I look like, while urinating.

"Uh, a toilet?" *frantically trying to mention all the words I know for toilet* "I need to urinate o_o" OOOOH! A loo, mate? 

Experienced this in the Philippines, too. Anywhere else, I'd just say it in the local tongue.

Only to find out they call theirs "comfort rooms" or "CR's" for short.

In public toilets where they're paid, they'll often hand out toilet paper as you pay and ask: "Hi sir, are you looking to urinate or defecate?"

Not sure why I'm telling you this...

You're welcome.

The toilet struggle is real

I remember back when I moved to the US during middle school (pretty much no English knowledge) I'd always hesitate asking to go to the bathroom because the words I knew to mean 'toilet' from my one year of middle school English class were different than what people were using there so for the longest time I wasn't even sure if I'd be asking the right thing

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

This is not an awkward job to have at all :lol:

"Welcome to our store, would you like to take a shit?" :D

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

I should've read your post, prior to posting, haha.

Lol yours was more detailed :D

1 hour ago, Homer said:

"Welcome to our store, would you like to take a shit?" :D

😂😂 Tbh I would find it fun 

• Like 2

J'ai appris le francais à l'école, mais je ne suis pas très bon. Les conjugations sont difficiles.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Homer said:

I think I made it awkward for the first time I was asked. I was at a festival and toilets were paid:

"Are you you going to urinate or defecate, sir?"

And poor lady, but I shot her a: "OMG, none of your business!" stare.

Only to see her show you a toilet paper roll like I didn't know what those words meant.

Then you feel judged, so of course hold your #2 off, and respond with the classier: "urinate".

No toilet paper for you, but you'd look at those bolder people being proud of their poop being handed rations.

They'd often give you a couple squares of toilet paper. I had eaten spicy adobo chicken. Those weren't going to cut it. You're really going to get judged asking for more.

Definite eye opener.

I truly understood what it felt like to be a foreigner who struggled with the new culture.

If I see a foreigner struggling with French or English in my city, I go the extra mile as a result to help.

1 hour ago, TheAP said:

Les conjugations sont difficiles.

La grammaire Francaise eat une des plus compliquees a apprendre.

Pas pour te decourager, mais plutot que de savoir que tu parle une la langue difficile a maitriser.

Edited by Guest
1 hour ago, Perspektiv said:

La grammaire Francaise eat une des plus compliquees a apprendre.

C'est définitement un pain dans le arse! I think that grammar is one of the main reasons that kept me from really warming up with the language. Which is weird considering that my mother tongue is German.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Homer said:

C'est définitement un pain dans le arse! I think that grammar is one of the main reasons that kept me from really warming up with the language. Which is weird considering that my mother tongue is German.

I have to say I'm glad that both of those were my mother tongues. I don't know if I'd have had the courage to learn French later 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Homer said:

I think that grammar is one of the main reasons that kept me from really warming up with the language.

I've taught a couple girlfriends to speak French. I find its insanely easy to learn phonetically (personally, the best way to learn a language). Its kind of like learning Spanish, or German when you do away with the more complicated stuff and just focus on how to pronounce and say words.

I learned this with Mandarin as well. I found I picked up languages quicker when I'd just pick up how to say stuff and didn't worry about grammar.

I find many teachers teach language backwards. Focusing on the grammar first.

Its also why so many kids in western societies are stunted in development vs kids in say, South Korea who are insanely advanced in language at a young age.

Doing grammar first if you think about it, is basically trying to learn how to sprint before you even learn to stand, let alone walk or crawl.

Buut, that's a whole other can of worms.

17 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

I've taught a couple girlfriends to speak French. I find its insanely easy to learn phonetically (personally, the best way to learn a language). Its kind of like learning Spanish, or German when you do away with the more complicated stuff and just focus on how to pronounce and say words.

I learned this with Mandarin as well. I found I picked up languages quicker when I'd just pick up how to say stuff and didn't worry about grammar.

Its also why so many kids in western societies are stunted in development vs kids in say, South Korea who are insanely advanced in language at a young age.

Doing grammar first if you think about it, is basically trying to learn how to sprint before you even learn to stand, let alone walk or crawl.

Buut, that's a whole other can of worms.

Haha I've actually ranted about this to my sister numerous times. I completely agree. The way foreign languages are taught in many countries (at least the ones I've been to) is very inefficient. Personally i love learning new languages but can't stand language classes because of how they are taught. 

But like Perspektiv said that is a whole other can of worms

• Like 2
On 3/28/2018 at 12:05 PM, OhDearyMe! said:

It’s as different as American English and British English 

Well, Canada has interesting French accents. So if you were to listen to twangy yankee accents, Quebec accents sound like that, only it's in French. French Canadian French is rather interesting. French, France French sounds very calming, French, less twang and has more flow. Where as French Canadian French has a little twang here and there and is more "Canadian". It's difficult to explain being French Canadian myself. Just think of the yankee accent, but in French and more twangy. 

• Like 1
On 11/03/2018 at 11:27 PM, Cobaltprincess said:

Petit changement de sujet. Je me demandais si quelqu’un connaissait des pronoms neutres en français. C’est un truc que je me demande depuis un moment et ça m’ énerve de ne pas en connaître. Je n’aime pas pouvoir avoir une pensée en anglais avec les pronoms they/them et ensuite ne pas être capable de la traduire. Je ne sais pas si c’est quelque chose que d’autres ont vécu, mais bref.

Je me posais la même question.

Ugh, it's creepy to write French on AVEN...hope you don't mind if I switch to English.

Anyway, in the past few years I took the bad habit of using the plural third person ils/eux/leur as a gender neutral pronoun as a direct translation of they. It's not correct, not even understandable for most I think, but it just happened and it took me so long to notice it that the habit is hard to kick. But the lack of an alternative is infuriating.

I remember reading something about recently created pronouns on a wiki page, probably the gender wiki, but can't find it right now.

Otherwise, some users in Duolingo suggested eil and iel (I like the former better tbh), which is interesting and could have the plural eils or iels. (There are other suggestions in the post but not so good imo. https://www.duolingo.com/comment/4186240/Gender-Neutral-French-Pronouns-for-Nonbinary-Folks

Problem is, a language is supposed to be there for communication, and inventing a pronoun doesn't mean it's used, or that anyone would understand it if we used it. It could only help within small groups of friends who are all accepting and with NB people in them.

• Like 1
On 30/03/2018 at 2:14 AM, Perspektiv said:

Totally agree with that.

It’s way too mind consuming for a beginner in a certain language 

• Like 1

Hmm for me French canadian accent sound fun and layback. Lorsque je regarde des films, j'ai jamais l'impression que les canadiens sont vraiment en colère, ou triste.

• Like 1
On 29/03/2018 at 2:49 AM, Perspektiv said:

On 29/03/2018 at 5:22 AM, Tapioca said:

The toilet struggle is real

I remember back when I moved to the US during middle school (pretty much no English knowledge) I'd always hesitate asking to go to the bathroom because the words I knew to mean 'toilet' from my one year of middle school English class were different than what people were using there so for the longest time I wasn't even sure if I'd be asking the right thing

En France, on dit toujours «les toilettes», au pluriel, même si il n’y en a qu’une. Cependant en Belgique francophone, on dit plutôt «la toilette», au singulier. Selon une blague Belge, c’est parce qu’en France il faut en visiter plusieurs pour en trouver une qui est propre ! :lol:

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, Ortac said:

En France, on dit toujours «les toilettes», au pluriel, même si il n’y en a qu’une. Cependant en Belgique francophone, on dit plutôt «la toilette», au singulier. Selon une blague Belge, c’est parce qu’en France il faut en visiter plusieurs pour en trouver une qui est propre ! :lol:

Oh mon dieu! 😂 Je n’en ai jamais entendu parler auparavant , mais c’est hilarant 

• Like 1

Coucou tout le monde! Je vois que vous n'avez pas encore mentionné cette YouTubeuse Française et asexuelle? 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDPxVSjvT-KyQhAetmYTWcg Antastesia

Et pour @Findus et @Cobaltprincess, cette vidéo-ci parle de la question des pronoms neutres en Français:

Spoiler

• Like 4
givememyname
On 7/2/2018 at 3:43 AM, Palovana said:

Anyone who says French is "the language of love" knows nothing about French language and culture. French is the language of existential despair. 

Je suis morte de rire, c'est tellement vrai :D

Je suis française, ça fait plaisir (et bizarre!!) de parler en français sur Aven. Je connais aucun asexuel qui est francophone, c'est bien dommage ! 

• Like 5
On 07/04/2018 at 6:19 PM, Laurann said:

Coucou tout le monde! Je vois que vous n'avez pas encore mentionné cette YouTubeuse Française et asexuelle? 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDPxVSjvT-KyQhAetmYTWcg Antastesia

Et pour @Findus et @Cobaltprincess, cette vidéo-ci parle de la question des pronoms neutres en Français:

Hide contents

Merci pour le lien de la YouTubeuse! Ça fait du bien de savoir qu’il y a des gens en France qui en parle publiquement de l’asexualité 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, givememyname said:

Je suis française, ça fait plaisir (et bizarre!!) de parler en français sur Aven. Je connais aucun asexuel qui est francophone, c'est bien dommage ! 

Hé! Je suis Française, mais Français Canadienne, et je suis ace/aro même si je suis femelle. La Francophonie est très intéressante. Quand j'avais une classe de Français, j'ai appris beacoup sur la Francophonie et sur la culture. En faites, je connaissais beaucoup sur La Fête des Neiges à Québec. C'est un festival très populaire, mais à mon avis, il fait trop froid d'être la bas...lol xD

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Tiggidou said:

Hé! Je suis Française, mais Français Canadienne, et je suis ace/aro même si je suis femelle. La Francophonie est très intéressante. Quand j'avais une classe de Français, j'ai appris beacoup sur la Francophonie et sur la culture. En faites, je connaissais beaucoup sur La Fête des Neiges à Québec. C'est un festival très populaire, mais à mon avis, il fait trop froid d'être la bas...lol xD

Tu viens d'où? Je suis Française de France mais j'habite au Canada. C'est intéressant de voir qu'il y d'autre Français au Canada ici!

8 hours ago, givememyname said:

Je suis complètement d'accord. Avant vécu surtout dans des pays Anglophone, je n'ai pas du tout l'habitude d’écrire en Français et encore moins sur AVEN. 

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Tapioca said:

Tu viens d'où? Je suis Française de France mais j'habite au Canada. C'est intéressant de voir qu'il y d'autre Français au Canada ici!

Je suis complètement d'accord. Avant vécu surtout dans des pays Anglophone, je n'ai pas du tout l'habitude d’écrire en Français et encore moins sur AVEN. 

@Tapioca Je viens de Montreal. Il y a beaucoup de neige la bas lol xD  Il y a un grand bibliotheque en Montreal. Trop de neige a vrai dire. 

En tout cas lol, sommaire: Je viens de Montreal.

• Like 1

I need to learn French because I'm going away on holiday in July. I'm holding off starting because I'm waiting till all my university work is in. 

• Like 1