"SFU becomes first university to offer asexuality studies"

scarletlatitude

scarletlatitude

6 Feb 2018

https://the-peak.ca/2018/02/sfu-becomes-first-university-to-offer-asexuality-studies/

In fall 2017, the department of gender, sexuality, and women’s studies offered a class titled “Critical Nonsexualites” that focused on the topic of asexuality. According to Dr. Ela Przybylo, Ruth Wynn Woodward postdoctoral fellow and the course instructor, asexual people make up approximately one percent of the population — so there is a good chance that you or someone you know is asexual. More than that, however, it is important to educate ourselves about asexuality and not assume that all people desire sex or are attracted sexually to others, she added.

I'm currently taking a "human sexuality" class, which had previously been described to me as "the health class you never got." Later in the semester, there are chapters on gender and sexual orientations, and I heard that asexuality is mentioned at some point. We'll see how well it's described, I'm interested in seeing how the literature evolves.

Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet
8 hours ago, arekathevampyre said:

makes me want to go for it !! :D

Same here!👍 This is very cool!

arekathevampyre

The Peak asked Przybylo if the course will be offered again in the future but she said that “this will likely not happen at SFU.”

Lonemathsytoothbrushthief
1 minute ago, arekathevampyre said:

I am sad now 

I reckon it's a good sign though :) plus bear in mind for a course to be started on this topic you need there to be people pushing for it from a research angle, so more postgrad research giving us information about how this affects people will lead to more undergrad courses able to focus on it. That's how I interpret the person saying the course won't be done again-maybe she wants there to be more studies to draw on first. Especially if we want it to be intersectional-most fields on things like gender studies and queer theory etc have started with a more Western centric focus, and it would be good if we had more information about ace people of colour/disabled people or such first!

arekathevampyre
2 minutes ago, Lonemathsytoothbrushthief said:

I reckon it's a good sign though :) plus bear in mind for a course to be started on this topic you need there to be people pushing for it from a research angle, so more postgrad research giving us information about how this affects people will lead to more undergrad courses able to focus on it. That's how I interpret the person saying the course won't be done again-maybe she wants there to be more studies to draw on first. Especially if we want it to be intersectional-most fields on things like gender studies and queer theory etc have started with a more Western centric focus, and it would be good if we had more information about ace people of colour/disabled people or such first!

👍☺

• 3 weeks later...
Mezzo Forte

Sounds like it was a really cool course! I could see something like that being really cool for allo and ace people alike. The instructor sounds like she's pretty rad too, looking at the different research interested that the article mentions. Perhaps that class will be a good precedent for future educators interested in teaching courses like this too!

I hope so! It was an honour to be able to audit it :D

• 3 weeks later...

That's really interesting! It's cool that unis are starting to expand on basic gender studies.

Archived